Airbnb announcement coming 11/16/22

Seems Air’s real goal is attract more and more hosts. More and more money for them and less and less for established hosts. They really don’t give a rip about the hosts because they know there is an endless supply.

Can barely wait for the new 10 new things for hosts. If it’s any thing like the summer roll out we’ll all be dancing in the streets.

The way Air is being handled reminds me a lot of Twitter’s new owner, the clueless billionaire.

3 Likes

Zuckerberg has the same clueless arrogance. His reimaging of Facebook as Meta is a “trainwreck”. Value just plunged $700 billion.

1 Like

“An upcoming change from Airbnb could make host concerns worse by adding to the already-flooded market of listings. This week, the company will unveil “an all-new, super easy way” for people to turn their homes into Airbnbs, Chesky said earlier this month an earnings call.”

…Greeeaaaaat… Listings in my town have jumped 35% since spring, and they’re all investors.

I do not try and equalize the cleaning costs, most of my bookings are 2-3 days and I bake it into the price. I do not offer discounts for longer stays as I do not want longer stays through AirBnb.

I get it that many hosts prefer to charge a cleaning fee, we all do what works best for our unique business needs.

RR

1 Like

I dont understand what you are saying. There are no discounts being offered. Some stays are 3 nights, some 7 nights, and some 10 nights. No matter how many nights, the cleaner is paid the same amount of money. After 10 nights there is another mandatory cleaning and therefore another cleaning fee.

The second cleaning fee will be hard to get into the rate. How do you do it now? House rules?

Unless AirBnB gets rid of all fees, I’m guessing many hosts will simply call their cleaning fee something else (administrative, resort, etc)

I am on a request to book, and not instant book. So I explain the need for another cleaning after x days and we agree it will be added on to the booking. Never had a problem yet.

That makes sense. We’ll have to see what kinds of “discounting tools” they roll out before figuring out ways to roll the cleaning fee into the nightly rate.

1 Like

If a host doesn’t want longer stays, all they have to do is have a max stay length of 3 days, if that’s what they prefer. Longer stays don’t necessarily depend on offering discounts. The only reason to offer discounts is if you are actively trying to attract longer bookings.

I have never offered any discounts, my max stay is 2 weeks, and lots of my guests book for 10 days-2 weeks.

@georgygirlofairbnb I don’t charge a cleaning fee and the way I worked it into my nightly rate is by figuring out the least amount of nights I’d want to bother cleaning for (I do my own cleaning, but it would work similarly if you pay a cleaner). It takes me about an hour and a half to clean my 1 private room/private bath listing. So my minimum stay is set at 3 nights, a half hour of cleaning time per night. Longer stays mean much less cleaning time per night. You could do something similar, or average it out to your average stay length. Yes, you have to pay your cleaner the same whether someone stays 3 nights or 10, but that averages out- you’ll be shelling out less for cleaning on longer stays when subtracted from your total payout, more on shorter.

DogVacay, bought out by Rover, was the same. I was in a host group so I was aware of all the complaints about every change. Same with Airbnb, I’m in this group, so I’m aware of complaints. What I remain unconvinced about is that most hosts are upset with most changes. When they are, we see Airbnb backtrack. Most hosts don’t participate in any groups, twitter or facebook.

Quote function not working so about @KKC ’s comment about hosts not participating in groups—I think she has a point.

To participate in any community whether it is a private forum, Facebook or the Airbnb community, takes first a willingness to learn and second, the effort.

I am surprised at how many of my tiny neighborhood community host (friendly competitors) group choose to not participate.

It works, you just have to scroll down well below the post. This is true on both app and desktop.

2 Likes

@kkc. Yes thank you. I misstated. The highlight/copy function isn’t working for me. My screen is being quirky.

I can’t highlight to get to having the quote box.

1 Like

The thing that has me leery about booking Airbnb as a guest is exactly the problem they are going to make worse. There are folks that get into hosting as “easy money” and they don’t make the best hosts.

More and more often I’m ending up in places where the checkin message from the host pretty much implies we should be sneaking in. I’m not at all interested in illegal places, and I’m more than annoyed Airbnb is totally uninterested in confirming that places listed are owned or at least legally leased for STR sublease. I look at places near my daughter’s home and all of them look dicey in that respect. So I end up at a (lovely, family owned) hotel.

Until some class action suit make Airbnb stop the aiding and abetting of these types of scams I’ll be very careful, and lean into hotels more.

3 Likes

Shutterstock and iStock. as a contributor there, there’s a running joke that any email that begins with “great news!” means the exact opposite. and pretty much 100% of their improvements are just ways to pay artists even less.

I also haven’t done the latest Apple update because i’m doubtful there’s anything good in there.

1 Like

this, or similar, is the phrasing many of us should be using. i put this in my insta bio and my listing info: family owned and operated. there might be some great remote hosts but being a hands-on host is a bonus and we should highlight it.

6 Likes

Just saw the video.

Worst idea ever: telling the guest to “Treat my home like your own” (yes, it is actually what is going to be in front of every guest when they book). Sadly, guests range from hoarders to worse. Airbnbs are not anything like the homes the guests come from. Oh, well…

4 Likes

Airbnb Winter 2022 Update

1 Like

Yeah, every single one of those spammers who are brand new with no reviews, and want to rent my space for three months off-platform, all of their identities were verified. So that’s pretty much useless.

I don’t think I’d want to stay in his home, even if it is actually listed. Which I doubt it is.

1 Like

Hey Brian, I am a super host and I am not working for nothing to train the competition!
How about you step up and train your ignorant CSR’s!

5 Likes