Airbnb and Refugees

Oh please. They are HUGE in comparison to the other platforms. They are far and away the market and global leader, so taking a role like that makes sense from a marketing perspective. And it gives them great PR so the motivation may not be as altruistic as you claim.

No one is hating on them, they are our bread and butter.

I just wish that if they want to claim they are the ones giving FREE accommodations to evacuees or refugees, then they should pay us our asked rates to do so.

Otherwise say it is a joint effort between the corporation and its hosts. Give credit where credit is due.

But please don’t say they are the Ones doing the donating when that is clearly not the case.

(We do have someone here saying they were paid in full for hosting refugees and if so that is a new policy.)

4 Likes

Easy enough to state who is covering the cost.

2 Likes

Well said. It is about as genuine and heartfelt as their host guarantee. As long as they don’t pay or put themselves out in anyway they are happy to benefit from the publicity.

2 Likes

Hi there, I’m a reporter at the financial news website MarketWatch. I’m working on a story about Airbnb’s efforts to host refugees, which is in the news again in light of the situations in Ukraine and Afghanistan. I’d like to speak to some hosts to get their perspective on the program. If anyone would like to talk, I’m at lalbrecht [at] marketwatch [dot] com. Thanks, Leslie