Air gives only $50 back on $14k of damages

Greetings Everyone

I am sharing my story because I feel all hosts need to know how important it is to protect your home from unruly guests. We recently had our first guest in our vacation home on the Columbia River by the Gorge Amphitheatre. Sadly our first experience did not go very well. We met the group coming in (a party of 8) , we went over the house rules walked them around our home and felt like we connected with them. Our home is a special place in the world, and we really were hoping to attract people that would enjoy it! Unfortunately our guests decided to host a party there and had over 50 people in our home.Our floors subsuquently were damaged (over $14,000). We contacted airbnb , we were directed to message the guests to see if they would pay for the damages, after 3 days of no resolve we were allowed to escalate this to a case manager and seek coverage under the “Host Guarantee”. Our case manager asked us to get a bid from a contractor as well as furnish them with the original cost of the flooring (not the easiest thing to find but we did), they had us send pictures of the damage to them as well as getting a professional statement from the contractor. We did all of this (keeping in mind we live over 2 hours away from our vacation home), Airbnb emails us with this; keep in mind the damage is over 800 square feet

Hi Bryan and Lisa,

Thank you for your patience throughout this process.

After careful review of all related documentation and communication, we have issued a $50 security deposit payout for the reported damage. You can view this payout in your Transaction History.

While the documentation you provided far exceeds this amount, Airbnb is only able to reimburse for fair market value of the damaged areas in question. The average laminate flooring costs from $2.40-$4 per square foot and since you have higher grade flooring, we’ve issued the payout based on $5 per square foot for the 10 feet of estimated damage.

It’s been a pleasure to assist you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns regarding this case.

Best regards,

Sydney
www.airbnb.com/help

$50 on damages over $14,000 (we have a $1500 security deposit on our rental who knows were that went) and no further explanation as to how they came up with $50. We have emailed, called and have gotten no support or help, I am shocked as a frequent airbnb traveler I have always had a good experience. But as a host this can’t be the way business is conducted, we are devasted. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to where to take this issue?

Sincerely

Bryan and Lisa

I thought you were going to Arbitration?

Airbnb advertises that hosts are covered up to $1,000,000 in the event that a guest does any damage to their property.

The blurb on the bottom of the Airbnb home page advertises it like this:

$1,000,000 Host Guarantee
Your peace of mind is priceless. So we don’t charge for it. Every eligible booking on Airbnb is covered by our Host Guarantee - at no additional cost to you.

Well, forget your peace of mind. It’s actually going to cost you a piece of your wallet. The reality is, you won’t see a dime unless your guest actually admits to being responsible for the damage!

We have two rooms that we rent out in our property. Someone is always coming and going in one or the other rooms. Recently, one guest left at 3:00 in the morning to catch an early flight. The other guest had two more days. The night before the first guest left, we were in the kitchen and didn’t see any damage to the microwave. But late the next morning we noticed a big black burn on the microwave door and also a tear in the plastic material on the inside of the microwave door. The first guests had already left, and it doesn’t seem likely that they would have heated anything that early in the morning before leaving. But we did see the remaining guests using the kitchen early that morning to make breakfast. They had also used the kitchen almost every day for breakfast and dinner. The previous guests, we never saw using the kitchen.

Anyway… our best guess was that the remaining guests were the ones who damaged it. But we had no proof. The kitchen isn’t under 24-hour video surveillance, and we don’t stand guard out there 24 hours a day! We didn’t see it happen, so all we could do is guess.

We went to file a damage report with Airbnb, only to find out that in order to file a report with them, you have to first select which guest you want to attribute the damage to! So I selected the guest we suspected and filled out the rest of the form. I then wrote to that guest through facebook telling them we didn’t know who did it, but they were the only ones there when we first noticed it (and it was the kind of thing you would notice immediately). I told them we weren’t trying to blame them for it or even get them to pay for it, but we had to do it that way in order to open a case with Airbnb.

It was also the kind of thing that anyone could accidentally do. They obviously put something in the microwave that had some metal in it and it exploded. I would hate for a guest to have to pay for something like that - an accidental mistake - and we didn’t want these guests to actually have to pay for it. It would have added $300 to their 4-day trip! We thought it was the perfect kind of thing for the Airbnb insurance to pay for.

But, Noooooo… NO WAY! We told Airbnb our best guess was that it was this particular guest, but we couldn’t be sure as we don’t have 24-hour a day guards posted in the kitchen! Airbnb promptly told us that if we didn’t know who it was, that there was not a thing in the world they could do.

But what if we had known for sure it was this guest, and then the guest denied it (as they surely would do because who wants an extra $300 tacked onto their vacation bill for an accidental mistake)? And how would Airbnb know who to believe?

Airbnb sent us an email that said:

"We were so sorry to hear of the incident that occurred at your property.
Please know that we have reviewed your submission very carefully.
However, we are unable to grant your request because as per our Terms of
*Service, compensation cannot be provided under the Host Guarantee *
unless the host is able to identify the responsible Guest."

and:

"This requirement serves two purposes: first, when we find a guest
responsible for damages under the Host Guarantee, we reserve the right
to review his/her profile with contemplation of his/her removal from our
site. This is to increase the trust and safety of our community and to
ensure that no other host experiences difficulty with the guest in the
future. Consequently, we must verify that the damages are the result of a
particular guest’s actions. Secondly, Airbnb reserves the right to
subrogate against any person or entity whatsoever who allegedly is
responsible for causing the losses or damages in question. As a result,
the identity of the responsible party must be known as a precondition of
filing a Host Guarantee payment request form."

“Subrogate” means “to replace one person with another”. And in this case it means to replace Airbnb’s insurance as the payer with the guest as the payer. Meaning they’re going to make the guest pay instead of using their insurance. Makes you wonder if they really even have any insurance.

In other words, you have to have iron-clad proof that a particular guest did the damage. And then Airbnb isn’t going to use their insurance to pay it - they’re going to make the guest pay it.

But my question is, how in the world could you ever have proof - even if it was the only guest in your house at the time, when the guest would no doubt vehemently deny any responsibility. Are hosts supposed to put their property under 24-hour a day surveillance? I just don’t know how you could ever prove to Airbnb that any guest was responsible for anything - unless you have a video camera filming everything 24 hours a day.

The bottom line is - this “insurance” is absolutely worthless and I think a fraudulent claim on Airbnb’s part. They have structured it so that they will in no way ever have to pay anything. Hosts will only get paid if the guest happens to be willing to admit their mistake!

If your guest won’t admit to causing the damage, then you will never see a dime. Everything in your house or apartment is at risk… and YOU will ultimately be the responsible party. Only YOU will incur the expenses of any damage done to your place. And that’s exactly the way Airbnb has designed it… all the while making it so they can claim that they don’t charge anything for your “peace of mind” and you don’t have to worry about a thing because they have a $1 Million Host Guarantee.

1 Like

Do you take a damage deposit from your guests? This seems like a claim you should make against the damage deposit of the guest(s) who were using the kitchen in the 24 hour period before you noticed the damage.

No, I don’t take a deposit - because what’s the point? Apparently Airbnb won’t give you that either unless you can prove which guest did it. And how much deposit should I take? I have some things here worth thousands of dollars? Should I charge a $10,000 deposit in case it’s damaged!? Then I would have no guests.

I thought their insurance was for those times exactly like this when there was no one else to pay for the damage. I thought it was for the peace of mind when a guest damages something, but we can’t pinpoint the exact guest, that it would be covered - and we could all sleep well at night!

The bottom line is, neither me nor my wife did the damage. And the only other people in the house were Airbnb guests. Therefore, Airbnb should bite the bullet and get their insurance to pay for damage the guests they sent us did. And they should pay it whether or not the guest admits to it. It’s absolutely ridiculous that they won’t pay a claim unless the guest admits fault.

I would put the kitchen as off limits now or put a small cctv camera in the kitchen.

2 Likes

Yeah, but being able to use the kitchen is a big selling point for a lot of people. The camera may not be a bad idea though.

It really depends where you are. My guests very rarely use the kitchen. We also don’t have a microwave (destroys all the nutrients in food anyway…). Maybe if you got rid of your microwave you’ll decrease the number of guests using your kitchen.

a NEW microwave costs $100. you make that every time you rent. its an old microwave so its worth less then $100. its a cost of doing business. quit whining. No you can’t pin anything on someone you didn’t see do it. thats what the small claims judge will tell you

4 Likes

This is a risk you take by having more than one set of guests in your home at a time. You have to factor this in as part of the cost of doing business and price accordingly.

1 Like

It may cost $100 in your house but not in our house. In our house it costs $300-$350, plus another $100 to install it. And it may not have been new but it had many more years of life left in it.

But that’s not the point of this post. The point is - the million dollar guarantee is worthless if the guest won’t admit to the damage. And as far as having to actually see the guest do it - what do you do? Watch your guests 24 hours a day? Or have a security camera filming everything 24 hours a day?

Would your insurance cover your $350 microwave? Maybe going forward you could get a cheap under $50 microwave specifically for guest use?

Yes, I know that’s not the point but if as you say the host guarantee is worthless, then isn’t it up to hosts to make sure that they have good insurance and that they actively minimise any damages that guests can cause?

No insurance policy would pay out in the circumstance you outlined. No court would award you damages. You put yourself at risk by having multiple strangers in your home and you can expect that this is not the last damage you will incur.

The terms to that policy are there for you to read and it pays out when the burden of proof is met. Otherwise you need to buffer your price to handle this stuff and hope nothing worse happens when you are not looking. And say goodbye to nice things.

3 Likes

I was actually very happy to read here that when a claim is filed, Airbnb considers whether to delet guests profile so no other host would experience the same again. I hope they removed my guest from hell and he will never be able to stay at someone’s house again.

I just had a guest who messed my house pretty bad. He denied everything: broken chair, vase, burned pan, mess until he saw the pictures. Even then he kept blaming me why he did such a mess making up stupid reasons like he could not find garbage bags:).
His security deposit was 300$, I got 500$ though claimed 750$. One of the thing that was not refunded is ruined bedding that my husband did not make pictures of, and I was out of the country.
I was very much impressed how the process went. It was very prompt , courteous, and handled in professional manner.

Your claim has to have grounds. And one of them is to know who did damages. Hotels take your credit card in case of damages. You would be the one who pays it, not their insurance. You even said it yourself that you don’t want guest to pay fir microwave but Air. Why? Why should not guest pay for damage he caused?
Airbnb has certain procedures that they have to go through before refunding a host and certain requirements. If the case did not meet the requirements which was in your case then there is no reimbursement.
And really, what other rental platform offers compensation for damages that exceeds damage deposit but Air??
Yes you have to go through presenting documentation but try to rent through other sites like booking.com or Expedia or VRBO who are impossible to deal with their lousy customer service and back charges and you will see that Airbnb is so much better run operation than any of them by much.

4 Likes

This is why I have a $500 deposit.

Hello

The guarantee is absolutely worthless for Host but also for guests.
What then if the damage is neither Hosts fault or guests? Who pays?

I will write you to just let you know what happened to us.

I read a good text “Are you Protected? Understanding the Airbnb Host Guarantee”.
it is absolutely true that the Airbnb Host guarantee it is not maybe there for you when you will need it.

I am Airbnb host but also traveling a lot with airbnb. This summer by accident, during our stay in Italy, one of sliding doors in the house got stucked. None of our family didn´t break the door. The sliding door just stucked while using it. The door went out from the rails because of the meganism.

The host, of course, ordered some company to fix the door, so we could use it again. There came in the end 3 men and the invoice was 150 €. The host wanted us to pay the bill and we were amazed because it was clear that we did´t do anything wrong. We decided to ask help from airbnb. Airbnb said right away that DONT PAY ANYTHING, airbnb will solve this out. We of course believed airbnb would help this situation with the host guarantee service.

At home we got e-mail from airbnb where they asked us to pay the damage. The host had wrote to airbnb some text about the door ( which we are not allowed to see because of the privacy) Airbnb decided that we need to pay the damages.

I am really disappointed that airbnb do not help with this kind of situations. I am host too and now afraid that if something happens in our house, Airbnb is not there for you. I really want to tell about this to other hosts and guests as well. Unfortunately I am going to stop using airbnb.

There it is, simple answer:

Airbnb writes us: Airbnb´s host guarantee program is not insurance and does not cover cover the damages caused by guest/host.

What it will cover then?

Yes, the host guarantee is a joke.
People think is is an insurance, but it is not.

As a guest I would not pay anything to AirBnB without proof that the damaged is caused by you, and not regular wear and tear. And if it your fault, ask them to send you all the documentations like invoices etc, so you can forward this to your insurance company.

A lot of Hosts seem to forget, that things wear and break during use. That this is part of the business. And this part of the business should be taken into account when setting the room price. A lot of beginning hosts think AirBnB is easy money. Until things start to wear and need replacement. Then suddenly they discover why hotels and other commercial places ask so much more.

You cannot blame guests for the bearings of an old sliding door breaking.
I have some plastic chairs on my balcony, they are now 3 years old, I know the plastic gets brittle due to UV and aging. So next summer one of them will break during use. I cannot blame a guest for that.

I spend around €500 a month on things that wear and break. Lightbulbs, Switches, Doorknobs, Hinges, Relais, Transformers, Beds, Chairs, Fossets, etc etc etc. It just never stops.

4 Likes

Thats ridiculous. Broken door is wear and tear obvious, and i am very surprised that Air is trying to get this money from you. I was not paid with my second claim when guests used socks in a pool and clogged filter and damaged part of it. That was not ussual wear and tear , it obviously happened because of their action. They paid me 80$ instead of 350$.
That seems to be an ongoing rate when claim is filed and “not enough supporting documentation”. Because my friend got the same amount

It is a double-edged sword. Yes, normal wear and tear is a reality and if it happens to break during a guest’s stay, why should they pay for it, the host should.

Imagine how Airbnb’s ‘Host Guaranteed’ (I am not so sure what exactly it is) would be abused (especially in the US) if they allow it to serve as free insurance? People do tend to think there that insurance funds comes from out of space, actually from everyone else. The more Airbnb has to spend time and money handling all these hassles and dubious claims the faster they will start upping their charges to customers and hosts.

3 Likes

You’re mistaken about the difference between their “insurance” against your whole property and a security deposit to cover incidental breakages. This would never fall under the host guarantee. Not that it isn’t crap, but this wouldn’t be it. This is wear and tear damage.

Start charging a security deposit.