Air conditioner broke - Refund $?

Before menopause I wouldn’t care at all about no AC, but now I literally could not sleep in 78-80 heat.

I wouldn’t expect both nights refunded. If I could see the host tried to mitigate the issue (provided more fans) and was hustling to get it fixed, I probably wouldn’t expect even that night refunded (assuming I could use the pool).

4 Likes

This probably isn’t yours but it goes to show we’ve been pricing our pool houses way too low.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/38283890?source_impression_id=p3_1597522205_L%2BUqr%2FvzTH7rA9sr

This is very kind of you and if more Americans were in a postion or state of mind to do this we would be a better nation.

Very nicely done modern pool house.

I can understand in days of Covid, where people want a socially distanced and drivable excursion, why it is a good option to a hotel.

At $750+ per night (with all fees, taxes)

I now see why my recent guest (AirBNB employee) left me this private message

2 Likes

If you have a group it’s not that much to have a staycay in a luxury home. The group of 8 I took to Costa Rica did make excursions but we would have been happy to eat, drink, hang by the pool and walk by the beach. Board games and music. All fun. None of us want to fly now though.

1 Like

My business model is that we are actually in the business of earning/generating effusive 5-star reviews – because that’s the only thing we have to offer the guests at the time they make their initial purchase. (Of course you have to offer thoughtful, gracious, smart hospitality in order for this to happen… in our case 97% are 5*, about a third are clearly effusive.)
With this business model every decision big and small and every interaction is driven by “does this get us five-stars?” – it became a habit long ago.
Given that it appears you can afford the write-off, this is probably an excellent marketing investment – you gave up two nights rent and now everyone looking to book a week or two sees how happy this guest was. I expect the investment will come back to you many times over… you were a super gracious host, and that turned them into super-gracious guests. I expect they will be back.
My advice – you were a bit overboard, but in a really good way. I have two properties with average 5.00 and 4.97, and that happens because we constantly look for opportunities to go overboard (but not usually to the tune of $1,500). You should feel good about it – just don’t do it every week!

1 Like

This is an interesting way to state it. I realize that has been my idea as well but hadn’t thought of it as a business model, though it clearly is. Because of the way Airbnb works, it’s the model that makes the most sense. I’ve never seen anyone else mention “effusive” 5-star reviews, but you are absolutely correct. Even a “good” review that is only one sentence is not as good as one that goes on and on about your place. Given two places with similar ratings, I would book the one with the most long reviews.

1 Like

I am really lucky- I have had guests who write the nicest reviews- effusive ones. I tend to get quite articulate, educated guests and they seem to like writing informative and appreciative reviews.

1 Like

Me too. And I would be worried and sad if they didn’t. A few times I’ve gotten a one sentence but very flattering review. Always men, but that may be a coincidence. But those same reviews have a big paragraph of more effusive compliments, even better than the review in the Private Feedback. Doh.

1 Like

I won’t let tradesmen (or women) in the house unless
a) it simply can’t wait until next year and
b) they are wearing masks – and wearing them properly – for every second they are there.

We owe it to ourselves, and we owe it to the guests staying in the on-site guest suite

3 Likes