Affordable host hosted guest with Hilton expectations

Yes @Inna, I understand the focus of your argument. But when we begin to make correlations between price and cleanliness, we fall into something psychological that is the “perceived value” of things, based on the price we pay for them. Hence, many phrases, like some always mentioned: you get what you pay for.
Unfortunately, I do not have too much time to write, developing the subject further.
I just wanted to give a recent example that happened to me in NY at a 5 star hotel in Manhattan, which I will not name to avoid legal issues, was last June, when leaving the room one day, I found a rodent running through the sixth floor. So I think that when people deploy their prejudices against a motel 6, it’s just that, prejudices of value. So yes, I was paying for the rodent too?

2 Likes

@AlexSJ

Thank you for your help. I send a matter-of-fact summary of what happened to airbnb and ended with “I don’t want to leave a complaint this is just want this on the record”

Ended today, three days. Really I wouldn’t have done what I did if it was all that much money to me. Honestly it felt like a small price to pay to get these people to LEAVE.

Good luck managing guest expectations!

Over our 5 years hosting, I’ve gotten better at cleaning (hand held vacuum is a miracle worker) and better at not caring what guests think.

I haven’t taken pictures of our dirty dishes, but i did briefly include a picture of a burned out car round the corner. After feedback i decided that was too much honesty. ;D

You can always put something in your house rules about guests understanding that they are getting a discount price in exchange for a little dust. When they book, they have to acknowledge they’ve read the house rules. You can then ding them for not following your house rules if they complain. (Probably not, but it makes me happy.)

Good luck!

3 Likes