Advice on how to diplomatically respond to a review

Hi Mearns,

Thanks for your response

Singing the virtues etc that’s what i mean about diplomatically responding. It would need to be quite a strategic approach though and require one to tread carefully.

Exactly. Responding to negative reviews is a tricky business no doubt, for one always wants it to come out as a plus (aka a positive sales job). LoL

There are different schools of thoughts on the issue: some place emphasis on aiding the less-than-stellar review to be history as soon as possible, and to keep it in its short form, which makes total sense. However, when a guest attempts to establish an absurd premise that is totally off base, on those I personally do respond, of course short and sweet. Since it is absurd, it is easy to make them look like a fool, indirectly. Not sure this particular review of this fellow qualifies, since he did qualify his opinion by saying from the outset how HE doesn’t like the area, and never did. Of course begs the question - why did he book a place in that area in the first place?

Isn’t hosting challenging? :sunglasses:

You could look at any hotel’s repose on Trip Advisor. They never ever get defensive. They always say thank you for your feedback and bringing this issue to our attention. Blah blah blah

The review says more about the person writing it than the place. You look at trip advisor and know there are always always going to be nit pickets that would find something wrong at the 4 Seasons.

But sometimes the best answer is no answer. That is true in life too! :smile:

Excellent thanks for the explanation. I make note of the current.

@Mearns
@konacoconutz

Thank you both for the input.

Tripadvisor can be great source of inspiration for such situations. Yes sometimes no answer is far far simpler :grin:

Many thanks all for the responses.

1 Like

Since the review was left and the 1 rating on “location” received, I’ve not had a single enquiry, be it from a scammer or anyone else. I wonder if my search positioning has been affected.

Hi @zeeris,

Under stats on your listing web page it shows the views. Also, several people have said that the mobile app also gives views, but with rather different numbers. Also, you can search for your own listing. Make sure to log out first. You might also want to clear your cache. Or simply use a different browser, OS, or computer than the one you normally use. Also, see “xx travellers saved this place” under the “Save to Wish List” header. This number should go up over time.

Airbnb inquiries might fluctuate quite a lot, depending on different factors. I got 8 bookings all in a clump about a week ago. Then not a single inquiry for a week. Though I can see that my listing is being viewed.

@faheem

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Do you advertise on other portals as well or just stick to ABB?

I have a listing on 9flats. But nothing from there so far. And I have a listing on Wimdu that I should really activate. I’ve done most of the work to set it up. I think I need to add more photos, though.

Obviously, advertising in more places is better. But as you can see, people are not generally very positive here about other portals. Having one’s web site makes a lot of sense, i think. Though that is obviously more effort.

I’d write a response as I always use this sort of review as a marketing tool to show what a gracious host I am!

"Dear Mr Country lover

I am so glad you feel that I made you feel comfotable and settled during your stay and that I was able to help with your problem with xxx.

You are quite right, of course, we all have our individual preferences, whether we love the peace and tranquility of the countryside or the excitement and buzz of an urban spot such as xxxx . Thank you for acknowledging that although the area was to your taste, our accomodation was able to provide you with the quiet and cleanliness you needed for your visit.

Best wishes for your future travel."

Something like this?

3 Likes

I would respond with something similar to Malagachica’s response. If your area is bustling, full of energy, always something to do, close to major attractions, full of night life, etc. - then highlight it in contrast to the other side of London.

Thanks @Malagachica and @cabinhost

1 Like