Advice needed for new host

If she is trying to send you a message with her phone number or address ABB will redact it anyway to stop people making direct bookings and then cancelling. As you have realised you should require ID check for all guests, especially at the beginning, and as you are not onsite.

Yes you’re correct, I read it on my way out of the office and skimmed the details. As a remote host I would be even more concerned. I really hope the OP gets the answers she needs to feel comfortable. I wouldn’t be able to sleep!

Truly Annie, it’s completely normal and no problem at all :slight_smile:

It’s also normal to have guests with no reviews and sometimes, as in the case of my most recent group, people who don’t even have a photograph on their profile. These were the sort of guests that some hosts would warn you against - definitely under 25, no info or photograph on the profile, no reviews, first timers etc. but they were the loveliest couple and the apartment was in immaculate condition when they left.

Because you’re new you’ll find that this forum is like an Airbnb university - there’s so much you can learn from reading here.

However, you have to remember that every host is different. For example, I know that a lot of hosts think that teenagers are trouble, or that people over 60 are too picky, or whatever… but it’s almost impossible to generalise (although we all do it!) In fact, we can’t even agree about pillows and duvets :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think we can add the debates about children and pets/service dog/Emotional Support Animal/therapy dog to the list. The kettle controversy has nothing on those two.

1 Like

Kettle! I’d forgotten kettles! :joy:

1 Like

Recent guest put our electric kettle on the gas hob. What fun!

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies and kettle stories - I am intrigued! :joy: Still no reply or acknowledgement of my message saying to let me know when they had flight times as I would pass them on to my property mgr… when she was looking for a discount and trying to arrange to give me her email to transfer money into my account directly to avoid paying Airbnb the commission (which was blocked) she was all chat but now silence. My husband wants to cancel and take a penalty but this is our first booking so how bad would it look…

I think if you tell Airbnb that the guest is trying to subvert their fees, they will be happy to cancel penalty free. Maybe call them.

Call Airbnb and cancel penalty free (I said that already so not sure why you are still thinking there must be a penalty) I think hosts that have the notification that they cancelled look bad and I won’t stay with them.

1 Like

Agreed. After being cancelled on three times during our trip last September (one was for potential bad weather and understandable) by hosts who had zero cancellation notices in their reviews, I certainly won’t stay with one who does.

1 Like

Mind boggling. I’ve used Airbnb as a guest several times and haven’t been cancelled on. And it’s not an issue I’m hearing about from my guests about places they’ve booked. So to have it happen 3x in one trip! Airbnb should have straight up sent you a check.

1 Like