Advice needed for new host

Hi, I recently set up a holiday rental on Airbnb and got my first booking. She asked for a discount and I agreed and after I sent her the quote, she accepted. Being completely new and totally naive I hadn’t set a security deposit requirement (now changed) nor had I set a verified user requirement. All I have is a name and phone number… I messaged her after asking her for the details of who will be stated - a phone number and address plus flight details. I am more concerned with getting some information on my guests. She has not replied… I have since texted and requested the same but with no reply… I am getting an uneasy feeling now and am wondering what I can do from here… is it ok to cancel the booking?? Thanks in advance for any advice!

You should have all the details you realistically need already. Airbnb will deal with the payment and you should do the discount through Airbnb.
Why do you need additional details?
My general advice would be not to offer discounts and don’t set up instant booking (if you’ve done this) until you’ve had a few experiences.
Hope that helps.

3 Likes

I agree with Cornwall on saying no to the discount requests. New hosts tend to have the lowest rates already. I swear it seems like there are guests who pick the new hosts to exploit. I would call Airbnb and ask them to either help you get the information or cancel the reservation without penalty. I’ve hosted people without verified ID/new users who were very communicative and it’s been fine. But every listing and host is different.

1 Like

I’m sure they do. Plus new hosts are often so eager to please their guests that the guests are likely to get arrival snacks and lavish breakfasts.

All I usually have is a name and a phone number, @Annie1976, so that’s all you need.

Thanks for replies. I am just concerned with the fact that Airbnb don’t have personal details either - she is phone number and email verified. Is it normal to have a guest book and not have any address for them? What if there was an issue? Sorry for all the questions, this is new to me plus the apartment is in another county so I won’t be around to keep an eye on things.

Hello Annie

Have you had a look at Airbnb Help Centre at the tutorials and guides on Airbnb Community Centre - if not do take the time to read through - it will provide you with most of the information you need to help you host.

Airbnb doesn’t provide hosts with an address but do have this information themselves.

Why do you feel you need it.

Do make sure you have a local airbnb manager or co-host available to manage things on the ground for you and CCTV to help you monitor your listing.

I have a local property manager who’s onsite so I suppose that’s something but my issue is Airbnb don’t have her address either. From renting holiday homes in the past I was always asked for an address which I gave willingly.

What are you going to do with their address, fly over to confront them? Far more important is that Airbnb have their credit card stored so they can charge them for damages. A deposit would be good moving forward. It might be good to find a co-host experienced with Airbnb.

True, and I am probably over thinking it. It’s just my first experience so I want to be careful but I’ve learnt from my mistakes already. :slight_smile:️ I have set a damage deposit and I won’t be giving such a generous discount again. She’s after getting a very nice deal, so eager was I to secure a booking. Thanks for all the replies and feedback!

Relax!

Their address and flight details are none of your business. They may fly in country a week before coming to your place; or they may fly in somewhere else and smuggle themselves over the border. It’s not your business.

If you look at the guest reservation you see a contact phone number but it’s not smart to use it until the day of their arrival. Keep ALL conversations digital on the Airbnb platform

We never get guest addresses, just city and state or country. No reason you should have them. Air has their credit card. Air has approved them – what more do you want/need? Employment history? Local credit rating? Names and contact info for next of kin? That’s just silly.

You can specify that guests have “government issued ID” (but you aren’t going to see their Driver’s License either). If you live in certain countries the guests must supply you with passport information, but not in the US.

1 Like

Hi @Annie1976

As I mentioned in my initial response. Airbnb do have the guest’s address. Why do you feel they don’t collect this information?

Don’t you remember when you set up your own profile on Airbnb you were asked for it?

@KenH - we collect flight information, too, since we are in a fly-to location, and our property manager/housekeeper greets all guests. It gives her a chance to schedule her day and she can keep track of flight delays.

If someone flies in a few days earlier and stays somewhere else, they just respond with that information (and then ask for early check-in)

Some very good advice here. Unless flight info helps you schedule the day, welcome or key pick up don’t worry about it.
Also, the more you give the more guests will take and be unlikely to leave a good rating. They almost feel as though they have a licence to find fault, often unrealistic fault, all at your listings expense.
We do not take bookings from guests who do not have past reviews. Reviews are the most helpful when they are accurate. If the guest is new to Air you’re taking a risk as they won’t know how the platform operates and so communication can be poor. Always have your cynical hat on with new Air users!

1 Like

Great advice, thanks. :blush: My property manager has asked for flight details as she will meet them and show them the property and wants some idea for when they will arrive especially if it’s a late flight.

Good luck and let u sknow how it goes. It’s always really lovely when these threads are concluded by the persons opening it.

Will do! And thanks again for the help.

1 Like

About 78% of my bookings are from guests without reviews.

But I only take guests with verified ID and they need to provide information about themselves and the purpose of their stay along with clear profile pic, as a condition of booking.

The guests actually who have been the worst both had positive reviews.

Absolutely there are people who exploit new hosts. We recently stayed with a woman in Las Vegas who told us her first guest was a couple of meth addicts (she could tell by the teeth). They were supposed to stay a month but after 10 days of being eaten out of house and home, taking “pool showers,” drinking her liquor and keeping her up to all hours, her tenant got tough and showed them a gun. They left quick. She wouldn’t report it due to fear. If it was me, I would CANCEL THE BOOKING. I would not risk it.

If you are a single woman, with no backup, I would not leave it to chance, especially if you’re going to be out-numbered in your own home. Please do some due diligence before letting anyone into your home. Save yourself the trouble!!

Hi @Nancy_in_TO

I don’t think you quite understood what the OP said. She said this was a remote listing with a local manager. It’s not a room in a home she shares. Its not even in the same country.

She is concerned because she doesn’t have full contact details for all the guests who will be staying.