Advice needed for alternatives to Airbnb

LOL. It’s that the way with a lot of laws!

Or the heating ocean will make El Niño semi permanent and the Southwestern US will be the place to be. The Southeast will wash away and the PNW will become like the dry forests of AZ and CO.

1 Like

Exactly what we thought.

You can’t “overpay” for a 2023 permit that would be good through this December? They’re leaving money on the table. Can you buy a second 120-day permit?

2 Likes

It appears you can’t buy more than one permit per year or add to an existing one. We have tried to find someone to ask but there’s no one. Any inquiries by email take about a month to be responded to if at all.

Is there any way to get a license for the upstairs through the end of Dec, and then tweak your listing?

Whose to say which door you actually go into?

1 Like

He has indicated that applying for a license partway through the year doesn’t seem to be possible- that permits are only issued in January.

1 Like

Actually what we considered is getting a permit for the actual address of the apartment, which is 541 and 1/2. The current license is for 541 which is for the main house. Without being able to discuss it with a city worker, we don’t want to take a chance of doing something to get us penalized from doing future bookings, even though it doesn’t seem to hurting anyone regarding housing in L.A.

Oh they’ll issue them anytime. The just won’t be valid till January. :man_facepalming:

Ah, thanks for clarification.

1 Like

zillow lets you advertise month to month rentals for free. and craigslist.

2 Likes

The problem with those sites is that there are so many scam listings on them that guests may be wary to use them. Almost all the posts from guests who’ve been totally scammed by fake listings say they found them on Zillow.

Of course, guests often get scammed when they have no idea how Airbnb works, and don’t bother to find out, answer some ad where the “host” sends them to a fake look-alike Airbnb ad, sends lengthy emails telling them Airbnb’s long-term dept. will meet them at the listing with keys, that the host will “arrange” the booking, and that they need to send the money to some bank account or through Western Union, and if they don’t like the place after viewing it, they’ll get their money back.

It astounds me how naive some people are, sending thousands of dollars to some bank account of a complete stranger they found online.

I find long term tenants on zillow. I meet in person and show property. I’m in California.
Buyer beware. But it’s a fine site to find tenants. Leases are not normally done online.

I agree the STR ads on craigslist are scams. Zillow seems fine for LTR. Never heard of scams on Zillow.

1 Like

If you are so inclined to read through the 1,192 responses on this thread, there are many that say they found the scam listing on Zillow.

1 Like

Yes, but you aren’t sending prospective guests fake links to an Airbnb listing, sending them long emails telling them your life story, and leading guests to think they are booking through Airbnb, complete with total falsehoods about Airbnb long-term “agents” who will give them keys and show them the place and paying to a bank account, but supposedly through Airbnb. Those are the kinds of naive folks I’m referring to.

And I doubt that your pricing is “too good to be true”, like a 2 bedroom “luxury” apartment in London, with all utilities included, for $500 month. :rofl:

1 Like

Have you considered looking into different groups on Facebook?

How about selling off the property or lease it?