Advice from Experienced "Request to Book" Hosts?

Ah yes, figured she’d sneak in 10 extra guests and a dog, likely :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

How dare you spoil her fun.

2 Likes

Interesting, my prospective booker sent a message they could find something else to do until check-in after I shut down their request, so I next sent a special offer at the same rate. They ended up booking somewhere else. All communications were cordial.

Just as well, I think. Better that guests not walk in the door possibly pre-annoyed that they didn’t get what they wanted and that the host initially rejected them!

2 Likes

I know that, and I get that for hosts who host in their own home. I do not like people enough to have them in my house!

I do accept all, but I cannot wait to close the driveway gates on Sunday mornings when they leave!

RR

3 Likes

I also ask questions prior to accepting “request to book”, and I do get annoyed when guests start the correspondence with short questions or requests!
I will then ask them to tell me a little bit about themselves and their guests, some will respond with a lengthy letter, others are still quite short with their answers.
It is that response that I base my “accept” or “deny” on.

1 Like

I don’t mind them not being wordy- some people just aren’t good at written communication. As long as they’re polite, do answer the questions asked, and don’t give the impression that they resent being asked for more info or that they wish I’d just go away, it’s fine.

Of course, the ones who are chatty and friendly give you a better idea of who you’re dealing with. I love it when they manage to compose an initial booking message that doesn’t give me any hesitation in clicking on accept.

3 Likes

If they have govt ID, send a hello, and maybe have reviews, then I just send an accept. Unless it is obvious - like they ask me to communicate off the platform (lot of those lately???) then I just hit decline. Airbnb then asks why decline and you tick the box. Doesnt happen often. No comeback from Airbnb yet. Cheers

@Brian_R170 The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language states “By convention, 12 AM denotes midnight and 12 PM denotes noon . Because of the potential for confusion, it is advisable to use 12 noon and 12 midnight .”

2 Likes

I have standard template responses for almost everything. Here’s what that person would get:

"Hello [Amanda],

Thank you for your interest in the Ocean House.

Check in would be at 4 or later, not 12.

It’s not an insurmountable hurdle, but I strongly prefer to host fully verified guests at the Ocean House with a history of successful Airbnb bookings, positive host reviews.

Being recommended by other hosts provides assurance that a guest understands the Airbnb system and culture, communicates well, follows house rules, will leave the place clean and undamaged, and will also leave an appropriate review. Established Airbnb users are definitely more reliable reviewers.

Can you share any host reviews of your stays from any other rental platforms? Can you provide additional background info on yourselves?

You would also need to get fully verified through Airbnb by providing some form of government ID through the platform. Note, I and other hosts do not see that ID, only Airbnb.

And please confirm that you have reviewed and the entire listing, including the house rules, and that everything there looks ok?

Thank you!
Paul"

2 Likes

Hmm, a few observations does not a trend make, but.
I’m still off IB during my covid reopening, and I’ve got a second request I had to decline. The first (above) was for a check in earlier than my set time. This new one simply stated they were bringing their dog, when I am a no pets listing.
So my instant bookers have been more compliant/better readers than my request bookers! If they want to do something outside the rules, the IB-ers have consistently asked rather than ignored. It’s almost as if the requestors just bundle their rule bending/breaking into their requests-to-book and hope to slide by.
At least they told me about the doggo, could’ve been worse.
One more question – do you give a “real” explanation for request declines, or just say the dates are no longer available? Writing the required polite yet specific explanation to the putative guests is taking up my head space.

I would have accepted, and just stated that the check in time is X, or you are welcome to come but Fido is not. I accept everyone and once in awhile this happens, I wake up and see a request to book, accept it then I see the message about we will be checking in a t 10am or can we bring a cat. I just message back no, check in is 3pm.
The cat guy had to cancel, I told CS to refund on my behalf as it was the next day and I am strict policy.

RR

1 Like

Good advice – the pattern is I message the guests politely pointing out the rules, they do not respond, the clock is ticking on the deadline to accept or decline, so I declined. Your experience is valid, in both my instances the guests said they would comply and still wanted to book, but had found other reservations by the time I then replied with special offers to resuscitate the reservations. Altogether too much tsuris.

1 Like

Muddy’s advice is spot on. I ask pretty much the same questions in a much briefer matter-of-fact format. Although you didnt ask for comments re. one night stays my unsolicited advice is to stay with 3 night min. Let them stop at a roadside motel, all a one night guest really needs is a bed, toilet and shower.

I’m an IB person too but I’ve sometimes had the ‘we will check in at 1pm’ (or whatever} message. I completely ignore it and say ‘check in is at 4 pm.’ I don’t correct or berate the guest - just not mention it. It works, :slight_smile:

The best, well you know what I mean, message I’ve ever had from a guest was “weekend break”. That was all.

They were lovely guests and left me a three figure cash tip!

1 Like