Hoping the hive mind can help me with a review for my recently departed guests. The guy who booked had one review before which said he was nice to meet and welcome back but strangely gave him 5 overall but 3 for Cleanliness and 3 for Following the Rules. Seemed a bit mixed messages but I think I get it now. They were 4 railway coworkers on a large project who booked late as they are all on weekly contracts as and when needed. Very happy for the booking as I needed the $$$ for car repairs. Some ended up working 10am-10pm and some just hung around because they weren’t required (but got paid anyway - government job you see) drinking and smoking (outside) and watching tv. They were fine, not noisy and friendly to chat to. I reiterated no smoking inside or in open doors and they didn’t. They left early last night which was all fine. This morning I came down and the place was basically cleaned. I had a professional cleaner coming in to continue the deep clean she is doing but ended up helping with a lot of their stuff for over an hour of her time. So here is the list, these are things which guests are asked to do in the rules and arrival email but these guys didn’t:
- didn’t strip the beds and leave sheets in the bath
- didn’t move a large coffee table back to its place which I couldn’t do on my own
- washed a weeks worth of dishes and left them in the drying rack which because of my using crutches took me 30 mins to put away
- left the milk frother full of coagulated milk and when I moved it it had spilled over and under the Nespresso machine and was getting in the workings. Took us 30 mins to clean it.
- left food and drink in the fridge
- didn’t take out the final trash but they had been taking most of it out regularly.
- one night they went out for 3 hours and left their dog alone w/o telling me. I heard him barking (he was pretty quiet the rest of the time) and after 15 minutes of texting and no reply went in and I could see he was desperate to go outside for a pee. The booker/dog owner who was working late and on his way home was very apologetic and no harm was done but they should have told me so if there was an issue I would have known to come straight down (I live upstairs and there is an interconnecting door). One of the 3 guys who went out co-owns the dog and is the bookers partner so I think he copped it when he came home with the others from some late night beach fishing.
8 (only just noticed this one) Took the gas bbq plates to the beach for a cookout and left them on the grass without cleaning or putting back.
I started out thinking I would give them 5s for everything but as each thing became apparent and needed to be dealt with the score went down to 4 then 3 and then wondering whether I should DNR them? They might come back and I would be happy to have them. I suspect the booker who was working late on the last night left it up to his mates to clean up and they did what they thought was an okay job. But the cleaner who was here to do the deep clean ended up helping me clean up their stuff so cost me an extra $50. I don’t charge for regular cleaning as I do it myself and build it into the cost.
So any thoughts on the review? I don’t want to slam them, I would have them back but I would mention the things that needed to be done next time which I can do in the private feedback alone. But I also don’t want to make them out to be perfect to the next host. Because the last reviewer gave them 3 for Rules I reiterated no smoking inside when they checked in in case that was the rule they broke and it is winter here so not pleasant outside but that’s what they sign up for. And they didn’t or I would have smelled it.
Should I leave 3s like the previous reviewer and no details but anyway? Thoughts?