Advertising cards

I had these postcards made by
nextday flyers, the phone number and other info is on the back.

3 Likes

Airbnb does not " has its home-coverage insurance. BIG mistake if you think it does!!!

3 Likes

How do you do this? What are the reactions from guests? Are they coming in via ABB and you offer to reduce their costs?

I have both rack cards like this and business cards (both printed by VistaPrint, which does high quality cards inexpensively). They have different purposes. If the OP belongs to his local con/viz organization (which he should) they will place cards in their racks at their local visitor center or office, as well as the local airport/bus/transit stations. In addition, many other high visitor traffic areas and destinations often have card racks.

I also hand out about 3000 business cards (I got the folding ones so I could put more info about my tours on the inside) per year.

3 Likes
  1. Worked with guest to get them to do it 2) They were ok with it as i absorbed the minimal $25-ish booking fee as cost of business in trade for getting a review on ABB which hopefully would lead to future business that way 3) Obviously I’m not going to fully answer that on a public forum but I will say that once or twice when a customer initially contacted me on ABB and then finds me directly also by their OWN research (NOT me telling them), and objects to the high fees once they realize the costs/difference, I feel obligated to ABB to give them something and as they have provided me really no extra service for a 7 day rental vs a 3 day one, I think it’s fair to all involved. I will NOT bypass ABB totally when customer makes FIRST message contact via that site but – however, if guest FIRST calls/emails me directly and says they saw my ABB listing and then used that info to find me elsewhere on Net, I don’t feel similarly obligated to ABB.

If someone like me books a room for one night and pays ABB maybe $7-10 in fees, I and host get NO more service from them if i stayed two nights and paid twice that in fees, right? They got us together, they provided communication, they provided payment processing, they provided review process, etc. but all those are same no matter the length of stay.

1 Like

@Don_Burns

I think it’s great you created your own website, and I can tell you are passionate about your business. But, if you are going to direct your guests to another listing site - it may as well be one that does not charge guests booking fees! Your repeat guests already trust you. I see on your site you direct guests to ABB or TripAdvisor. You can replace those links with a link to your Houfy listing instead.

It’s free to list your property. It’s also integrated with Stripe and Square. So credit card acceptance costs you no more than you are already paying ABB and TA. The difference is that you will receive the money directly into your bank account right after the guest books, not after they check in. And Houfy does not insert itself into your money transactions. That’s between you and the guest. Your damage deposit is between you and your guest.

I understand that for now you are comfortable with ABB and maybe a last minute cancellation does not impact your bottom line very much, so you are not the least concerned if one of your guest’s uses the extenuating circumstances policy. But I would never send my guest back to a site knowing I could lose all the $$$ for that booking if they get sick and can show a Drs note.

When you import your listing into Houfy, you can also import all reviews from ABB or VRBO. Then you can sync those reviews as new reviews arrive and they will appear on your Houfy listing. The reviews do say which site they came from. People who book you on Houfy can leave a review directly on Houfy.

You can also sync your Houfy calendars with ABB and other calendars.

And you mentioned your website has weblinks to local attractions. Did you know that Houfy is a social site for travelers and you can create many guides of local things to do, wineries, hiking, restaurants, etc.? You can link them from your website or even embed all of your guides directly into your website. Once you write local guides on Houfy - let’s say a traveler comes across the site and is thinking about visiting the wineries in Murphys, CA, but they’re not actually decided where to vacation yet. In one area of the site they can type in murphy’s California and your guides can show up. The traveler clicks on your winery guides and starts reading the info you wrote. They can save this info to their favorites for future reading material. And your listing can be embedded into every single piece of local info you write.

So even someone in the research stage will know of your place to stay in the future. They can easily share your local info from Houfy directly to their friends on their social sites. They can also “follow” you on Houfy and receive any new posts you make in their Houfy newsfeed. Most of my guests have recently been joining Houfy to “follow” me on there. These guests have for the most part come through an OTA. But now they know they can book me with no fees next time. And long after they leave…they are still reading about my local posts of the area. What better way to keep the guest thinking about your area.

One suggestion for your Facebook page. Have you thought of adding a “learn more” or “book now” button? Keep the send message button if they have a question, but add one of the blue contact buttons. If someone is on your FB page, then they can click that button and be linked directly to your Houfy listing. Of course you could also direct them to ABB or TA too if that’s your preference.

Here are the free embed tools that Houfy allows people to use on their own websites. You of course need to have your property on Houfy in order for this to work on your Meadowslair site. I am not sure if they are compatible with every single website but I used some on my wordpress site, so def. worth a try or PM me if you have any issues.

You just copy/paste the embeds onto your website. You can add your property’s availability calendar, a seasonal rates table, up to date reviews, and a quote tool where guest enters dates and number of guests. When you need to update for example your holiday rates on your Houfy listing, it will reflect those changes on your website within seconds.

Here is an example of a Houfy member who has the quote tool, seasonal rates table, and calendar embedded. If you click on the his reviews tab you can see how he has also embedded his reviews. https://bearhavencabins.com/inquire-and-book/

1 Like

Here is a getting started guide on Houfy if you are interested in importing your listing. It takes less than 10 seconds to import the majority of it. Then just finish up your rates, etc. Then connect your bank account with Stripe/Square, etc.

1 Like

This insurance is NOT what you think. Please search this forum for more details about Airbnb’s “Insurance”.

Also, your regular home insurance may not only not cover the Airbnb but could possibly cancel your insurance if you tried to file a claim. I use proper insurance which is 2x the cost of my regular home owners insurance but now I’m covered.

1 Like

Of the 20 bookings we have had, since my wife and I started our two-bedroom Airbnb nine months ago, only one couple has returned for a second stay. I assume we will get more return visitors during the warmer seasons. All have left positive guest reviews and we currently have a 4.9-star rating.

When our guests check-in, I ask how they learned of our guestroom rental. They reply, they type "Airbnb Murphys California" in the Google search box.

Most travelers are unaware of other online guestroom booking companies, such as Houfy. Airbnb has greater name recognition and better Internet search-engine browsing results. It’s like me saying several years ago in my work office, “I need to make a "Xerox copy,” instead of “photocopy.” Brand-names stick in people’s minds.

Again, our Airbnb home is in a semi-remote Northern California mountain community. I would not be as worried to switch from Airbnb to Houfy, if we were in San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Hollywood, or any other major California tourist city.

P.S.: I misspoke in my original posting on this thread that Airbnb will cover all home insurance. I meant it will cover some damage from a guest’s stay.

Also, THANKS to everyone who wrote long and detailed replies to offer their suggestions!

Definitely do not switch companies at all! Use Airbnb, TripAdvisor, and whatever other sites to get bookings. It’s not an all or nothing process.

I was just saying if guests stumbled across my website or FB business page, repeat guest, referral, etc (instead of directly on the OTA first), found my rack card in a winery, real estate office, etc. …I would send them to book through me directly OR through a site that doesn’t charge them booking fees, and a site that will not override my cancellation policies.

2 Likes

I have never heard of Houfy and wondering (haven’t looked at their site as on iPad now) how they make money if there’s no fees? Seems that it’s working for you so that was one thing I didn’t see on your very detailed posts.

There are a couple of threads about Houfy on this site. A recent thread is

Topic: Meet the Company taking on Airbnb—news article

https://airhostsforum.com/t/meet-the-company-taking-on-airbnb-news-article/30325?u=annet3176

The thread started off as something else then wandered into “Houfy-land”

1 Like

In the future the site will definitely be monetized. The owner of Houfy has tossed some ideas around. Some owners have suggested certain optional services they would be happy to pay for - maybe ads, etc. But, charging owners to have their property on the site will always be free and no commission, etc. And guests will not be charged service fees.

Do join the Say Yes to Houfy group to learn more about it. Or better yet, import your listing and play around. You can always delete it.

BTW - Houfy is only being shared by word of mouth right now.

Glad to hear you have found the cards useful for your marketing. What’s the conversion rate like ? @NordlingHouse.

Here in the UK we have to pay to display information in our Tourist Information Centres, tourist attractions and transport centres, so that would add to the cost of using cards as a marketing activity.

Wow 3000 business cards a year - I am not even sure I know that many people to give cards out to :smile:

We order many thousands of pounds worth of print every year and found Vistaprint quality variable both in terms of colour and the finish. It sounds like they provide a better service where you are based.

@pleasantforestshores There is some disagreement on whether or not Houfy will start charging commissions or guest fees in the future. They claim that ‘listings will be free forever.’ But listing on Airbnb and other OTAs is also free. Hosts/guests only pay when a booking occurs. I haven’t found any claim on Houfy’s web site that they will never start charging commissions/guest fees. So tread carefully before giving yet another company access to your private data.

All you have to do is click on the Getting Started guide above that I directed you to in a previous thread and it says owners will never be charged commissions.

Better yet, why not join the Say Yes to Houfy FB group and ask the owner directly yourself. Then you can get it in writing for yourself directly from the owner of Houfy. His name is Thijs Aaftink.

2 Likes

I go through about 3000 business cards per year and about 2500 rack cards per year. I have access to Visitor Center card racks because I’m a member (and the local room tax I collect finances a large part of the Center’s operation). I also have a tour business, so I give cards away to my tour passengers so they can refer friends for tours and rooms. About 90% of tourists here are cruise ship passengers that are here for the day, then gone at night.

LOVE this idea of having business cards printed with emergency contact info for your guests! I’m going to copy this. I also have created a private website and had 4x8 cards printed to place at the 19 local vineyards we have. My website takes visitors directly to my Airbnb listing to book, so they’re not shopping around, which I’m guessing is what you also did. The website template I used actually allowed for bookings directly on it as well as payment, but the calendar would not sync to Airbandb, so that’s why I didn’t use it as a direct book. I also very much appreciate the liability coverage Airbnb offers.

If someone takes the time to go to your website, especially after they picked up your postcard from another local business that’s helping you advertise, pull up your website on their phone or possibly even took it home with them and saved it to pull up your website on their computer, it’s VERY doubtful that they’re going to shop around for a different place to stay. Kudos to you!

Loislane21: Thanks for your compliments.

I always put myself in my Airbnb guests’ shoes: How do I contact my host if something goes wrong or I need help nearby?; What can I show my friends and family of where I stayed and wish to recommend this Airbnb to others?; etc.

I provide my guests with free writing pens (19-cents each) and small 24-page notepads ($1.35 per-notepad), as you find in most hotel rooms. These pens and notepads have my Airbnb phone number, e-mail address, personal website and city/state where my Airbnb is located.

P.S.: I also provide my guests with brochures of area tourist sites, which my county’s tourism and visitors bureau gives me for free. I have these various brochures neatly displayed in a multi-tiered acrylic brochure holder I ordered online through an office supply store for $65.

Don’t forget to include your local public bus schedule and business cards of area taxi drivers (if there is no Uber or Lyft service) in the brochure rack.

Also, have a large map of your region and/or city framed and mounted on your guestroom wall. The map is very useful for guests to plan their day’s adventures. Add a “You Are Here” arrow on the wall map.

1 Like