Adventures in babysitting (I mean hosting)

Hi @anon67190644,

Unfortunately my current setup is clearly insecure. I have a router in the guest room. And I read an article saying it was a bad idea. Maybe I’ll create a separate thread for that. The article says that guests should not have physical access to a router. But it’s not clear what the alternative is.

Note: my guests are on a separate DSL line from the one I use. For a variety of reasons I thought that was better.

Is that the cute little white dog you’ve shown us pictures of?

1 Like

Ah, I see. So this “maneuver” presumes that the guest has not written a review. If Airbnb notifies me that the guest has written one, then there is no need to wait any longer, correct?

correct… Then the whole enchilada is off.

Yes, I did claim the mattress via the Resolution Center. I don’t know how long it will take. The guest is not reachable because he dropped his iPhone in a lake a day or two before he arrived here. I believe that Airbnb will need to reach him and get his side of the story. They might not be able to reach him until his trip is over. We did throw away the Tuft & Needle mattress. Thankfully, we’d saved the mattresses we used before we got the Tuft & Needle mattress so we had a spare. My husband contacted the representative of Nest. He said that they currently only give the free mattresses in queen and king size. We have two double beds.

1 Like

We are always fully booked except a day every six weeks or so. I know that we can get bad guests no matter the price point. That’s the point I was trying to make as many on this board postulate that the higher the price, the better the guest. I used to work in entertainment business management so I can tell you with certainty that people with more money to burn do not necessarily have better manners.

No, I don’t use a mattress protector. I personally find them wildly uncomfortable. This is the first guest who has peed in the bed out of over 250.

Target has moisture-proof mattress pads that feel just like regular mattress pads – not like the plastic/rubber ones of yesteryear :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @EllenN,

Oh, I certainly agree with that. Indian is full of horrible rich people.

I had a mattress protector in place (largely thanks to comments here) very early in the day - I’m pretty sure before my first guests arrived. Nobody has yet complained about it. I haven’t tried sleeping in the bed myself, though.

I have several low-cost ideas. Will post later.

First, I’m astonished that I’m being blamed because I don’t have mattress protectors, not my guest because he shouldn’t have drunk so much alcohol he wouldn’t wake up to pee two nights in a row. Is every single problem the guests cause my fault because I don’t have the correct equipment?

It’s not so much the feel of mattress protectors that’s a problem. It’s that if they are waterproof they can’t be made of breathable fabric. This means that I (and many others) will be too hot.

Um. nobody is blaming you for anything. It’s just a suggestion for your consideration.

3 Likes

I’m sensitive to hot beds and I haven’t found the one I tried to be ok. It was slightly crinkly and hot. However I have two regular mattress pads on my rental mattress. My mattress survived a bleeding but an incontinent adult…I don’t know.

Ditto. Have a glass of wine, @EllenN :wink:

2 Likes

I think a new thread for this would be a good idea. I’ll create one tomorrow.

Okay. If you were in the states, I would suggest something like this:

thermostat cage with lock

But since you are in India, land of cheap made-to-order items, I would commission someone to make you a wooden box with a lock, and two drilled holes- one for the power cord and the other for your ethernet cord. As you no doubt know, wifi routers do much better up since they create a “cone” underneath them like this /\ where the router is the top point.

You could choose a wood variety that complements the room’s decor, or paint it to match the wall color.`

What??? I’ve travelled pretty extensively but the two places still on my list are India and Cuba.

The attraction is because its so different to western culture.

And, if you’re English, CURRY!

1 Like

Yes and curry. But they’re never hot enough here. Everyones a lightweight. Lol

1 Like

You should try the curries in South Florida - pathetic! But we have one fantastic place locally that is run by a genuine Yorkshire/Indian bloke (from Bradford) - wonderful!

1 Like