Advancing credit to a guest

This is idiot month at Mandi’s.

A good guest with lots of positive reviews has stayed here over a week. He wanted to extend further until month end. However about 2-3 days ago he said his bank account was suspended 10-15 business days due to hacking. Could/would I advance him, he asked today?

No, I said politely. He would not see the money for two or three weeks. Long gone. It’s not a lot of money, but he has been sitting on the issue for a few days now. And now he dropped the whole thing in my lap. I cannot afford it.

Miraculously, an hour later he said that the money arrived by borrowing! He then IBd into a cheaper unit, without discussion. I still refused. He announced he is now leaving tomorrow morning.

Not your problem and likely a cover story IMO.

3 Likes

I’m sorry… I can not extend receiving payment until you get your personal life in order. IMHO this is a scam to get free nights out of you.

1 Like

Should I report this to Air? And or on his review?

3 Likes

I’m not following. You mean instead of extending his current listing, he wanted to book a different listing of yours that is cheaper? It seems like you would still get paid, but it also seems fishy. Hope the departure tomorrow morning is without incident.

3 Likes

Hi there, the guest booked initially for 2 nights and extended twice for a total of a week. Then he wanted to stay till month end and I offered him a good price. Then on the weekend he said he had bank trouble and would know today. Today he said he could not pay for 10-15 business days, asking for credit. He could not pay until after he left. I said no. Then he suddenly came up with the money to stay, and booked in a cheaper unit and booked IB. I also said no.

I turned him down the second time because he wasn’t being straight with me.

I suggested we talk it over - he’s in the same house -but he didn’t want to talk and said he was leaving tomorrow morning.

So he is leaving early or was tomorrow when he is scheduled to leave already?

Oh, and yes I would report him but don’t expect anything will come of it. Perhaps you can use the report to get his poor review removed later on…

4 Likes

You’re taking CASH??? There’s the problem. Stay within the System!

3 Likes

No, I said nothing about taking cash.

Yes, he was scheduled to leave this morning and he did.

nothing to discuss with him.
And … just me…I dont drink the Airbnb Kool-aid and it is ok to go outside the system…
Depending on the Circumstances.
This is not one of those.
Dont let the door hit 'em in the back.

2 Likes

Hi Georgy,

I didn’t go out of the system. But yes, it sounds like this was a prerequisite if I bought in to the “bank problem” con. And yes, now that you mention it, he wouldn’t have to pay me on that basis. Just waking up here.

Another bad review waiting to happen.

1 Like

You did the right thing not accepting the bank story and IB, this smells like a situation that could end up not well. Does this guest usually review hosts? I would not review unless he reviews first. If you do review wait til last moment.

RR

2 Likes

My favorite guest is a cash guest. But of course she’s not saying her bank account was hacked.

1 Like

That is definitely why I don’t text or phone with guests (obviously there can be verbal conversations). I want everything on the record with ABB if guest pulls an extenuating circumstances or charge back or cancellation or hidden camera, etc etc

I do deal direct through independent advertising and occasionally with very frequent flyers. They have a habit of essentially moving in.

This has been an exceptionally bad year for nitwits, and it’s consuming too much energy for the payout. I thank everyone most sincerely for all of your assistance and kind words, but this is getting a bit beyond me.

2 Likes

Again, to your point, RRR, this guest rarely reviews. Why is that?

Just to gauge whether or not you should worry about an impending bad review. I would still wait until last minute to review or skip altogether unless there is something that needs to be reported to fellow hosts.

RR

2 Likes

Thank you. My guess is no. He did in fact write an excellent review from his second extension. It’s going to look rather odd if he deep sixes me on the last one. Further, guys like him don’t need to call attention to themselves. Are you a betting man? $5 says it’s the last we hear from him.

1 Like