Advance warning to untidy guests to “clean up” 3 month booking

Back when Iwas a single mom with 3 kids at home and one gone off to university, I rented out a room to a young man, about 21, who was a friend of a friend.
He would give his dirty dishes a cursory rinse, leaving all the dirty pots and pans and utensils he had used.

When I informed him that I wasn’t his mommy or maid, he calmly “explained”, as if it were a perfectly reasonable excuse that would allow him to continue this behavior, that the thing was, he just really hated washing dishes.

7 Likes

Just to update. They did thankfully move out. They worked all night moving their stuff out. That checklist worked a treat so thanks again @muddy

However their message on moving out (that they did there best but were under a lot of stress) did not allay my fears of a “giant multi day clean out”. I’m just working through it now and will give updates as I go.

The home was returned tidy and everything in place was that was a huge relief. Although there is a stack of their stuff left behind

One of the keys was missing and one of the guests came back the day they left to give me two keys. During their stay they must have got another key cut for the unpaid guest!

Just the stuff left in and outside of the bins will take maybe three or four weeks to clear. It’s mostly boxes and organic food stuffs! You wouldn’t put clean eating with hoarding tendencies I would have thought, live and learn eh.

There’s also a large box of out of date organic cosmetics and bathroom type stuff left in the living room. As there was no more room to leave outside. This was left neatly though.

They had left a bunch of plants out front down the side passage for their friend to pick up the next day or day after which she did on the second day. However, she could not fit everything in her car on and wanted to come back a following day.

I said “no” as I had booked pest control. (I had booked pest control but cancelled due to the worry of not being able to get good access).
There’s cat fur on one of the doonas.

After their stay my towel supply has dwindled significantly as have my sheets including a unopened packet and am left with no face washers at all.

There was a bottle of “Wildfire” sensual body massage oil left under the main bed and a link to someone’s utube channel and some kind of payslip!

Can you believe someone had left behind and was burning a sage stick?
Have opened all doors everyday and pumped up the air-fresheners to fill to get rid of the odour!

These guests and sometimes hosts have five star reviews and many of them.

Look they seem nice enough people but they did bring in a undisclosed extra guest and cat and have left behind a lot of stuff for me to deal with.

2 Likes

You are going to get LOTS of suggestions here for your review, Sharmaine!

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Pretty much what I expected and sounds like they did make some sort of valiant effort to leave the house itself clean and undamaged, and were responsible enough to bring back the keys when they realized they had made off with them (Good intentions, but you know what they say about the road to hell). Honestly, with a bunch of people on a 3 month booking (including an undisclosed and unapproved extra) I would probably resign myself to having to replace towels and sheets, either disappeared or ruined. This is why hosts who do take long term bookings often have a system where they drop off clean bedding and towels weekly, and take away the dirty ones to wash. Even if the stuff doesn’t disappear, guests will throw it all in a hot wash without pre-treating stains, so it becomes good for nothing but dog bedding or painting drop cloths and rags, anyway.

Chaos and hoarding not jiving with eating organic, good food? No relationship. I’ve known lots of people like that, one of my daughters among them. She isn’t a real hoarder, who just accumulates things for the sake of accumulating, but her home is so chaotic and unorganized and full of stuff, I feel edgy whenever I visit and stay with her. It’s not really her, she’s quite tidy on her own, like when I convinced her to come visit mom for10 days on her own, without the whole family entourage, but she has 3 kids and a husband who is like having a 4th kid, and she is not a task master, making everyone clean up their stuff, so it’s always a huge mess. But they eat really well and they’re all quite fashionably dressed. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Personally, I would consider people like this to be basically decent people, par for the course average tenants (having dealt with many tenants in my life, at least half of whom leave multiple dump runs worth of junk behind), but terrible prospects as guests.

Sorry they left you so much crap to get rid of.

Please leave an honest review.

2 Likes

P.S., I just read an article yesterday that “Cluttercore” is the new home design trend aesthetic among GenZers, I kid you not. They are purposely filling their homes with as much stuff as they can cram in, covering every surface with collections and useless decorative items that they think are cool.

What a relief that they’re gone! I was afraid that they were swatters. Please leave an honest review for these hoarders.

2 Likes