Additional guests after payment

When booking a stay at my condo, there are additional fees for any guests after two. This is the message I got from a guest who just reserved and paid for a stay in March. How would you handle this?
Hi! We will be visiting for a belated birthday trip for my sister. We may have 1 additional guest depending on job. We have never been to the area and want to try the wineries and local
Shops.

Simply say “that’s fine, if you do have an extra guest you can pay the additional charge at check in”.

You could tell them that they need to let you know for definite nearer the time as you need to prepare for the extra guest, bed linen, towels etc.

JF

2 Likes

The change can be submitted on Airbnb via the change button. I’d want it paid before they check in but you can probably also get Airbnb to push it through after as long as it’s documented in the message thread.

1 Like

I collect all fees that were not paid on the reservation in cash or Venmo at check in, actually before checkout. I used to put in requests in the resolution center for pet fees, then I would have to always check if they paid or not. Now when I have someone tell me they are bringing a dog I just reply that is fine you can pay the fee at the cabin.
Everyone has paid, I have never had to ask twice, unlike the res center. I put my Venmo info on the check in sheet along with what they owe. Usually they leave cash when they check out.

RR

1 Like

I like cash. Cash is good. In fact, our repeat directs all pay cash. I love them all.

JF

1 Like

I would just do a reservation change request to add the extra guest. However, there are risks. If you submit a reservation change request, it gives the guest an 48-hour window to cancel without penalty. This will probably matter only if you have strict cancellation policy, but keep it in mind.

I believe that cash is both reasonable and convenient, but there are risks with it, too. If you discuss paying cash on Airbnb’s messaging system, it could land you in trouble with Airbnb. A guest might also report you to Airbnb for asking for cash outside of Airbnb’s platform.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! It helps to have experienced hosts to help with these issues.

1 Like