Accommodating babies and young children

I was looking forward to accommodating families of all dynamics to my STR. Bought a travel crib, lots of awesome toddler toys to keep the wee kids busy. I am new at all of this and admittedly somewhat naive in my expectations

Big downfall is that the property is at a ski resort stand alone house on the side of a very steep hill. House on the front end is on stilts. All good for a fabulous view across the way of the ski slopes etc. but I am concerned about the child on the balcony.
Big downfall. Everyone that has been through with a toddler or young children has broken house rules. Lowering the hot tub temperatures or even turning off the hot tub so junior could get in with the family. Lowering the temperature just makes for a culture dish of bacteria growth and is hard to monitor and make safe.
The most recent toddler through peed all over newly purchased down duvet, duvet covers and I found pee soaked face clothes etc laying in the carpet on the floor by the bed. I am over hosting toddlers and young children.
Apologies for hijacking this thread but the title of it just pulled me in.
Having said that I set my parameters at no children under 2 and it defaults to not safe for children under 2.

3 Likes

I can imagine what a nightmare it would be to try to keep a large, nice house clean if you allow children. I just can’t get over how people could let the child pee on the bed and leave cloths on the floor. Can you imagine what their house is like. Last year I bought a used table with 4 chairs that belonged to a family with 3 young children. When I brought it home to clean up and put together I found food/grease smears on the underside of all the chairs and the table edge. Youngsters eat with their hands then grasp the table or edge of the chair. Parents wipe the tops that they see but not the undersides. A friend told me her child covered the underside of her kitchen table with markers. So go check the undersides of all your tables and chairs. LOL.

2 Likes

[quote=“K9KarmaCasa, post:22, topic:12141”]
So go check the undersides of all your tables and chairs. LOL.

So true!
Yesterday while cleaning, I made a mental note to wipe the chairs and table down during the next turn around !! I was coming across all sorts of soiling on the wooden chair backs, legs etc. Could only do a quick touch up as the clock had run out and next group was arriving.

Found this in the dining room after my pack of toddlers and energetic kids left. Looks like one of them tried to feed it spaghetti? Wonder what other stuff they left behind?

2 Likes

To be fair, it does look like it really wants to eat that spaghetti.

3 Likes

Totally like he is zeroing in on it ! Pretty creative kids but messy and somewhat destructive.

1 Like

Hey, today someone mentioned the high chair, etc in a review for the first time! Hooray!

5 Likes

The magnets are in a tub on top of the fridge. It’s up to parents to get them out!

1 Like

I knew you had thought of everything!

1 Like

I have 2 extremely busy toddlers. They make me think of everything…

2 Likes

Personally my view is that if your first instinct is to list your space as being not child friendly then you should stick with your instinct. My recommendation is that you do not acquire items to accommodate folks with children. Believe me there are tons and tons of hosts out there who will be happy to accommodate these folks. The best way to host is to do it in the way that will cause you the least amount of work and worry. Both you and your guests will be happier.