Accept or decline request?

It was an auto email.

An auto email drafted by a person working for Airbnb, presumably. Whoever drafted it still doesnā€™t understand the difference between commitment rate and response rate.

Speaking of declining requests, they certainly put you through a lot of rigamarole now.
You have to provide the reason, then write a note to the guest explaining, and then physically go unblock your calendar because they ā€œhelpfullyā€ block it for you. What the hey, it used to be so easy to decline a request. 99% of my declines are strictly based on timing issues.

1 Like

Does anyone have any evidence whether declining an enquiry (not a booking but an enquiry) negatively impacts the listingā€™s ranking? I stupidly declined someone today (instead of just letting it lapse) and now I am worried it is having a negative impact. Any feedback welcome.

Yes it does, your declines are counted. Too many and you are warned.

1 Like

Do you know whether there is a count within a certain amount of time? Like 5 a month or something?

Itā€™s a percentage, 88% I think. You understand the difference between an inquiry and a request?
You answer an inquiry, due to the ticking clock.
You can pre approve / decline / special offer a request.
A special offer is a good way to get rid of a request- you really donā€™t want to stayā€¦? It will cost you $3000 a night!

1 Like

Thanks for this. Yes, I do know the difference between an enquiry and a request. On this occasion I declined an enquiry. I know that Superhosts are expected to have above 88% acceptance rate but I thought this was in relation to requests and other bookings, rather than enquiries.

And yes, I did hear the special offer trick before but I guess I was just too honest on this occasion. The guest enquiry was just really rude and I declined due to no prior reviews. I thought my hands were tied but actually I could have just let the enquiry lapse with no action taken. Stupid error which I now regret.

The other way is to block a day in the middle of the dates requestedā€¦they see a no longer possible message, and hopefully they look elsewhere! Unblock it a day or so laterā€¦

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t worry about it too much. I know there are plenty of hosts who decline many bookings and beyond maybe getting a warning at some point, as long as you donā€™t rack up a huge amount of them, there donā€™t seem to be any repercussions. Although some hosts seem to think it may affect your search ranking.

1 Like

Thanks for the reassurance. Thatā€™s good to hear. I know I am freaking out unnecessarily: keeping a 100% clean record with Air is not easy sometimes. Iā€™ll try to relax now.

Thank you, yes, I think that is by far the most elegant way to get out of an enquiry. I am not even sure it requires interaction with the guest because they can just see itā€™s not possible any longer.

You MUST answer an enquiry! Or you will be pinged on your response rate.

Thank you for your interest in my listing and booking request- Unfortunately the dates are no longer available. There are a number of great places in our area and I am sure will find something suitableā€¦

2 Likes

Yes, good point. Gosh, I sound like a complete novice. I havenā€™t declined anyone in more than two years and now I am getting all jittery after doing it once. Yikes.

Inquiries are easy - you merely need to respond in some manner and this keeps up your ā€œresponse rateā€ - which needs to be I recall 90% or higher for superhost. There is no need to accept or decline.

2 Likes

Okay I know itā€™s early days but it looks I am still receiving the same amount of daily views, in spite of me stupidly declining a guest enquiry. Just thought Iā€™d update this forum on that.