ACCEPT OR DECLINE? How about ask the potential guest a question?

Thanks for the clarification. You are right. Guests, hosts and Airbnb might all have different goals. That’s why I’m saying we shouldn’t let one of those parties have the loudest voice in the room. Communication should be a good thing.

1 Like

Unfortunately for those of us who host, the guest voice is loudest. Don’t be surprised if Airbnb continues to punish hosts who don’t use instant book. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they required it of every listing in the future.

I have spent weeks narrowing down my choices, comparing amenities, reviewing pictures. I don’t spend money easily, nor do I want to book a place that isn’t actually convenient [walk, bus, subway, drive] to the things that attracted me to that location. I am talking here about vacation planning, not a pass through on my way to somewhere else.

I have rented about 27 homes/apartments in the past 15 years [not enough vacation!] and only had one misstep.

I’ve only had the one “wait 24 hours for a decline” but that infuriated me enough to try to avoid it happening again. That said I’ve rented several places over the years where there was a back and forth about the trip and those places were great. I want to do another big road trip in the coming year and I’d like to stay in Airbnbs but finding the right one is so much work compared to just pulling into a hotel with the vacancy sign on when I get tired.

Look, you are overreacting here. She requested to book, you asked questions of her, she didn’t answer so you simply decline, but you have to do it within the required time period. You didn’t. Lesson learned.

Kona-

The point is that there shouldn’t be an Airbnb imposed limit of 24 hours for all the reasons stated. There is. There shouldn’t be. Period. The purpose of these forums is to create better policy. Maybe you can learn that lesson.

You are speaking to a long time moderator of this forum.

This is a privately funded forum with NO affiliation to Airbnb. Its purpose is not to create better policy. The mission of this forum is to connect hosts to other hosts. You may want to direct your complaints to Airbnb itself since you don’t like their policies.

Please review our forum guidelines pinned to the top of this page before posting again.

1 Like

LOL. I don’t think that’s the policy of even the Airbnb site forums, certainly not the purpose of this forum, for all the reasons stated.

Rude. I wonder if you address your potential guests with this tone?

If only I had a dollar for every person who comes posting a question and then gets mad at the answer…

5 Likes

Better Airbnb policy occurs when the relevant parties to the policy demand it. Sounds like I need to spell that out for you. The hosts and the guests determine Airbnb policy.

If you read those guidelines for the forum, you will note that attacks of a personnel nature are not allowed. As a long time moderator, it might help that you actually read those rules.

I’ve never stated that these forums have any affiliation or ownership by Airbnb. The forums are set up for hosts to confer with hosts. If you would like to show me where I indicated anything to the contrary, I’ll be pleased to be so informed.

You chose to use the vernacular that you did. It’s rude. From the research I’ve done in a few moments on your posts, this isn’t the first time you’ve been inappropriate with other hosts. Take a breath. Then read the rules.

Policies are not made by hosts and guests. What planet are you on?
Please do not argue with mods. That is an official warning.

I’m sorry K9kArma. What was the question I asked?
If I had a dollar for every time someone thought they could read but instead made assumptions…

It’s pretty clear from looking at your profiles you both have fine rooms to rent and you both make a LOT of comments. Good luck with that. Let’s leave it at that.

A new-comer scolding one of the senior forumites who created the forum rules to read the forum rules - beyond parody :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

That is your one-sided interpretation. The reason the platform imposes a 24-hour action rule is to ensure hosts respond to guest requests promptly enough. Remember, hosts are not employees but users of the system. How can a platform such as Airbnb function well if they don’t set such standards!

Reading subsequent posts of this user, I’m tempted to point out that all this sounds rather smug.

Where do you get this sense of entitlement from? Who are you to determine how the world ‘should’ work?

As I was saying above, you are only looking at it from your own perspective and not open to others’. Such an attitude helps no-one.

7 Likes

And a dangling participle too, beyond prosody!

3 Likes

It’s a bit like a guest coming into your house and telling you how to organise things, isn’t it? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

On topic, I know many hosts won’t use it but instant book takes all the back and forth away. I still get a few guests who make an enquiry to ask a question first and once I’ve answered I don’t need to think about anything else - they either book or they don’t.

3 Likes

The question was the post title, denoted with question marks.

But you’re right, the body of your post poses no question. Nevertheless you have argued with the responses because you don’t want to be told you’re wrong. Your post is typical of many here. I’d like to have a dollar for each of them.

You are arrogant and rude. You haven’t contributed anything of value to the forum with your little tantrum followed with arguments and whataboutism Your digs reek of privileged elitism. We moderators are volunteers who are trying to be helpful. What kind of person thinks that is worthy of derision?

2 Likes

If they do, they will lose some of their best listings! Because of that, I don’t think that it’s likely.

I’ve yet to see any evidence they care about that. And whatever money they lost in “best listings” leaving they will make up in other ways. I see evidence they want hosts to adopt hotel type policies. But I agree they will only do it of they believe it’s in their best interests.

1 Like