Absurdity of Airbnb cancellation

An instance of Airbnb’s stupidity or obstinacy. They want to hang on to a guest’s money for a year. Anyone have a situation like this with a solution? I’ve written to Air but doubt they’ll respond. Hour wait times on phone is just another excuse to avoid providing support.

Guest originally booked for an event in June of 2020. Covid cancelled the event. At the time of that cancellation, guest and host agreed to tentatively book for the next year’s event, June 2021. Then, Airbnb took the second half of guest payment sticking with the ridiculous stance that it was x number of days before original check in date. Guest decided she did not want to her full payment to be held for a year without knowing that her event would actually be rescheduled. Airbnb told guest she would be subject to 50% cancellation.
MY cancellation policy is strict. And it is my policy, not Airbnb’s.
Strict
Full refund for cancellations made within 48 hours of booking, if the check-in date is at least 14 days away. 50% refund for cancellations made at least 7 days before check-in. No refunds for cancellations made within 7 days of check-in.
OBVIOUSLY, check-in date is over 300 and something days away so I don’t see how they can apply a cancellation penalty on this guest.
This guest should be allowed to cancel her reservation without penalty of any sort as she is totally within the cancellation guidelines.

Absurd. Try Twitter.

She can do all you have to do is agree to a full refund @casitacresta.

You’re reading it wrong. Full refund is available if cancelled within 48-hours of booking and cancelled more than 14 days before check-in. Basically, a full refund is never automatically available more than 48-hours after booking, and if you happen to book less than 14 days before check-in, a full refund is not automatically available at all.

However, there are two things you can do.

1. Mutual cancellation. Airbnb will have to get involved.

2. Have the guest submit a change request to move the date or change the number of days or something, this will reset the 48-hour clock, once you accept the change, the guest has 48 hours to cancel without penalty.

3 Likes