ABB requesting an explanation of why listing isn't suitable for children

Where is that? Gay people can be fired in 26 states for being gay.

RR

1 Like

I say no children under 12 and any under 18 cannot be left unsupervised. If asked I simply say that my house is not childproofed. (Generally understood to be locks on cupboards, no accessible sharp utensils, and may include no lead paint)

Child proofing as you described is for toddlers, any kid past 5 can defeat childproof locks and whatnot. My 10 year old does not need a childproof environment. I have a 10 year old and 12 year old and they are responsible humans who can even be left alone from time to time! Unlike when they were 3 and 1 and we were in a hotel, I no sooner got in the shower than I heard the door close, I run out and ask the older one where is your sister? She points at the door…

I would have kids over dogs anyday, and I would just assume burn my house down than allow a cat. So we all get to make our own rules and hope we get away with it.

RR

2 Likes

Agreed. We have made exceptions for repeat guests when they want to bring kids on subsequent visits. Then we know more about who we are dealing with. I probably should have mentioned that my husband is a magician and has several unlocked cabinets with his supplies n common areas. They would be very tempting for children left alone even though they were not dangerous.

Shared house… You should do whatever makes you comfortable. Kids no kids pets no pets, your house your rules.

RR

2 Likes

This may be a stretch, but my guests have to go through a locked door, then a large room (vacant, used to store surplus furniture) to get to their suite. Once they go through that room, there’s a door (not locked) that leads to the stairs to their 2nd floor suite. Since they go through that room that staff have access to (but actually never use), could I theoretically say that some space is shared and therefore use that to make stricter rules (no pets, no children)?

You could but you would also likely get fewer bookings because they want total privacy. Pick your poison.

I didn’t really want to ‘like’ your post @RiverRock because it is disgusting that the US is so backward when it comes to equalities issues that in this day and age you can still be sacked for your sexuality in many of your States.

But wanted to thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I don’t understand how this equates with your statement @William_Norton that ‘gays and blacks are a protected class of people in the US’?

@Militaryhorsegal Yes, for sure. I would have to test that out. Ty.

We used to say we accept “babes in arms” i.e. not yet walking and competent swimmers over 8 years old. However, the catch there is that the baby who is not walking when you book in January will probably be crawling and even toddling by August.
We made this mistake last year. I have to say that the young parents were super-careful and responsible and the crawler-toddler was a complete charmer. Nevertheless, the stress of seeing her eyeing the challenge of our concrete garden steps and getting even within 20 metres of our unfenced pool was not great for my heart condition!
I think I care more about my health than Airbnb’s rules so we’re sticking to the “competent swimmers” or they’ll have to prove that their baby is actually still in the womb when they book!

2 Likes