A Serious Issue w. Guest

Can you ask the vendor to send you a color swatch. If they have the color swatch then you can use it as a patch. Just use glue gun on the edges and press onto the bed frame. Then move the bed to the other side of the room so the patched up side is against the wall. I think would be the most economical way to fix the problem. Sorry you had to endure this issue. I know how frustrating it is from personal experience. I have had several guests damage stuff accidentally. I now have a repair kit that includes colored markers for fabric, wood, etc, as well as a staple gun and glue gun.

4 Likes

Or as someone said take material from the back, bottom, somewhere not visible. If this were my room I can’t move the bed to put a patch against a wall.

And Oded is looking for suggestions on how to get the guest or Airbnb to pay, not how to patch the bed. The best solution would be to get a different, inexpensive bed frame while this one is sent out for reupholstering. Or it might be cheaper to skip the fix and just get a new bed.

1 Like

Meth or not it does not matter, this is on the host. Hot lights, it could have burned a person instead of the bed. Lucky it was not a bigger issue, lessoned learned no hot lights go LED.

NOT the guest fault, and guest communicated it in real time. Time to move on.

RR

4 Likes

Until you decide what to replace or do; buy a supply of large (knee scrape size) band-aids. Use a sharpie to write “OWIE” or “boo boo” on the band-aid. Place it over the burn. Buy a supply because guests will peep under the bandage! Hopefully guests will find humor in it.

The humorous cover will buy you some time so you can get a replacement or fix.

8 Likes

About the drugs…1. You didn’t see them use it or have it in their possession so I’m uncomfortable with leaving it in a review. I think there is validity to calling Airbnb CS and asking for guidance. I don’t want people using drugs in my home for many reasons and as a host would appreciate a “does not recommend” thumbs down for this guest.

1. About the “little white bags”—are you a fly-in destination? Some friends found pot in the room safe at a Caribbean island hotel. We guess it is because the prior occupant was WISELY afraid to take on the plane home.
1 Like

The halogen bulbs are such a strange looking contraption. And we have three different ones that go in different fixtures. I need to figure out if LED manufacturers are offering a substitute for these halogen bulbs that will actually work in my fixtures? They are not your standard screw in bulbs at all.

1 Like

They are making LED replacements for halogen. I have a number of halogen fixtures/bulbs. Problem is I’m stubborn and want to wait for them to burn out.

3 Likes

Does anyone know what the exact Airbnb policy is regarding drugs? I would have thought that any drug that is illegal would be on Airbnb’s list of things not to take to a rental? (Obviously I’m not talking here about marijuana in places where it’s legal).

To be honest, I’d be very inclined to mention it in the review (or even to Airbnb) if I’d had people taking drugs in the rentals if they were also causing damage.

I’m a bit surprised that people using drugs leave evidence in rentals, especially when they leave some of the substance itself. Isn’t it okay to mention it in a review for the sake of other hosts?

1 Like

Agreed. Go LED, has almost the complete opposite. (cool running, low energy,…)

2 Likes

I figured I’d get this reply. Hard drugs are outside of my wheelhouse. Is it that guests are leaving you behind a party favor? I used to have guests regularly leaving behind pot when it was newly legal in Washington State and they couldn’t take it home with them on the airplane.

1 Like

I agree with you 100 pct.

I had a bad guest recently who started to light up a joint in the backyard when I specify in the listing and the House Rules that we are a No Smoking of Any Kind property. In the review I did call this out. I don’t want marijuana or tobacco or anything else emitting smoke on my property. Whatever substance a guest lights up will be mentioned in the public part of the review.

2 Likes

To me this is an insurance issue. I have taken out my own insurance as I have no faith in the Airbnb protection. I have to pay the excess which is around $300 but I would be able to get a new bed.
I have a general house and contents policy and then I have insurance for Airbnb covering theft by guests, accidental damage by guests and public liability for guests. The policy is costing me twice the amount of a normal policy at $2000 per year but I can sleep easy. As I live in my Airbnb I cannot claim the whole expense on my taxes but I can claim 65%. My main gripe with Airbnb is that they do not have an certificate of insurance stating what they will pay for. This makes it very difficult for the insurance world to fill in the gaps and hikes up the price.

2 Likes

Done. Just ordered new lamps. Halogen is out!

We’re trying to get a patch from the back and put it on it. Great idea. Hopefully that could work. Reupholstering will cost more for sure but I’m waiting to hear from Airbnb and see what they got to say.

2 Likes

They are making LEDs in EVERY shape and size now! I recently bought some Edison reflector spot lights for a flush ceiling fitting.

1 Like

Awesome. On my list to check out. Definitely do not want to replace the whole lighting features that were so “in” 12 years ago. Slowly replacing florescent with LED, Godsend if I could do that with the halogens! Good to know. Thanks

1 Like

Perhaps you could look into insurance to cover such future incidents? We are a guest house and it has saved us many times.

Hi I have done quite a bit of upholstery work, upcycling etc over the years.
I would not recommend a patch.
My suggestion is buy some cross grain tape or textured woven ribbon or upholstery fabric strip (turn all ends under and iron in place) that is not the same colour but compliments the colour and wide enough to hide the hole. Then glue in place starting from underneath and right across and down the other side. It will look like it was meant to be there.
Not sure what colour your doona cover is but would consider a soft sage green or warm grey.
Best of luck.

2 Likes

Excellent suggestion for an easy, good looking fix.

That must have been cool. That definitely would have been a unique experience if you had done Airbnb there!

you can buy headboards online - $80 on amazon

2 Likes