A Serious Issue w. Guest

Sorry, but a nice hotel will not have a halogen lamp next to a flammable surface. Yes, they pay for guests accidents all the time.

6 Likes

I was going to say that :slight_smile:

I’m wondering if this is a real budget listing?

1 Like

Also…we aren’t hotels. I think a nice listing with expensive custom furnishings might need to list exclusively on platforms with real deposits. The VRBO home I rented last year had one.

1 Like

I concur the drug presence is far more serious – is this law enforcement or lab-confirmed?-- and it’s the only thing that is the guest’s fault. The hot lamp near the bed is the host’s responsibility, don’t understand why you would expect the guest to pay for damage to either. $300 is a small price to pay when your home could have burned down, guests suffered smoke inhalation or otherwise injured. Is there any extra material round the back of the headboard you could cut off and attach with iron-on fuse tape until you can get it re-done? Certainly not ideal looking but not as much of an eyesore.

2 Likes

Get some soft white or beige medical tape, cut it the size of the burn, …then get some markers matching the color and re-think what you want to do.

Think outside the box, google DIY headboard projects, find some nice fabric on sale - they are not so hard to do.

Look into a replacement lamp that is not overly bright, it’s no wonder these guests or previous guest pushed that lamp to a spot where it wouldn’t be quite so bothersome.

As a guest I would absolutely not want to spring for a new bed for you in that situation. A something towards a repair, that yes, but not more.

3 Likes

If you are regularly finding leftover drugs in your listing, it might be time to raise your prices.

3 Likes

$275 a night and $375 on weekends (not including cleaning) doesn’t sound like a budget listing to me.

You got it wrong. Cocaine users actually HAS money! It is far from being a cheap drug. Funny thing is, once I raised the prices I started to find those bags.

1 Like

Which 2 people confirmed this? Unless it’s the guests or your a toxicologist with a sample you’ve tested I would caution against such supposition. It could be heroin or a dried piece of snot

1 Like

I have halogen fixtures and they suck in so many ways. Luckily they are all out of reach and in ceiling fixtures. They put off heat, suck up electricity, and burn HOT. I would definitely get rid of the halogen fixtures within reach. I’d like to trash all of mine.

4 Likes

Yes, that is one of the many reasons that hotels are more expensive than AirBnB.

This is what AirBnB does not tell their hosts.
Amateurs playing hotel, making easy money seems fun… until things like this happen and reality strikes…

7 Likes

Whether cocaine users have money or not is an irrelevance here, and so is the price of your listing. So, can we simplify?

You’re not going to mention the drug use.
There is no way you’ll get the money for a new bed from the guest and I doubt from Airbnb.
You quite rightly don’t want to pay a large amount of money for a new bed.
Upholsterers are going to charge you the earth and are busy anyway …

Solution as I see it: Buy different, washable material, perhaps in a print which contrasts/combines with your decor and have a seamstress make a tailored cover that fits over the headboard and is fixed with ties or velcro. Or, simple and even cheaper but maybe not so professional-looking, use said material and fix to headboard yourself with staple gun.

I have always had similar headboard covers made for upholstered headboards anyway as I hate the idea of resting my head where others with not so clean hair may have rested theirs

15 Likes

Halogen bulbs are really dangerous. I used to have some myself, and then afterwards wondered what I was thinking. I’m actually surprised that it’s legal to sell them. But then I suppose regular bulbs aren’t much better. And until recently, it wasn’t possible to buy a bulb that didn’t burn hot. Fortunately, we now have LEDs, which are not a fire hazard.

And doing a search for halogen shows that the EU is about to ban them:
Switch on to LED lightbulbs before September’s halogen ban. Though it seems for energy usage reasons rather than safety. The article doesn’t mention safety issues.

We switched most lights in our place to LED a couple of years ago. LED lights are great. It feels like futuristic technology.

2 Likes

Sorry. With the halogen bulbs and the bedhead, the photos made it look budget.

I’d take the advice of others and steer clear of halogen bulbs. I’m assuming that the damaged fabric on the headboard is removable so it should be easy for you (or a seamstress/tailor) to repair. You wouldn’t have a non-removable fabric in an Airbnb after all, for hygiene purposes. I imagine that Airbnb and the guests are aware of this.

2 Likes

I used to have a bookcase headboard with small built in lights. You couldn’t get a bulb bigger than about 25 watts to go into the fixture. Still, I scorched a pillowcase that accidentally got pushed up close to the light.

2 Likes

We used to live in an old church, with high ceilings and spot lights/halogen bulbs everywhere. There were forty in the kitchen/dining/sitting room alone. Our bills were horrendous until we swapped them all for LEDs, and we did so very, very quickly. They have come down in price significantly in the last couple of years, particularly on-line, with some quite luscious designs to be found as well.

3 Likes

This is the bed I have in my listing

I cant find a reason to buy an expensive bed for airbnb plus this one looks expensive as its leather :slight_smile:

4 Likes

LOL. Ever the dreamer, eh? Don’t you think many Airbnb’s have fabric upholstery on a variety of furniture?

2 Likes

No truly :slight_smile:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a headboard in a rental with non-removable covers. Sheltered life maybe :wink:

3 Likes

Sometimes you’re not furnishing from scratch, so your beloved 10yr old top of the range bed goes to the guests!
But I see that if he’s replacing, that’s the way to go.

1 Like