A Free Dog thread

What a sweet dog. So sorry for your loss.

5 Likes

She was very sweet, although her size, wolfish look and big bark made her the perfect watchdog. Scary if you didn’t know her, but she never hurt another creature.
Thank you for the kind words. I will miss her forever.

6 Likes

Me too! And I much prefer guests who bring dogs with them. I’ve considered making it a house rule:

All guests must be accompanied by a dog. If you arrive dogless, you will not be allowed to enter the property and your reservation will be canceled without a refund. And we will look sternly in your general direction.

7 Likes

I’d love to be a pets only listing. I’d also like to be a solo travelers with pets listing only. I should offer a discount for solo women traveling with a dog.

7 Likes

That’s what I was effectively doing for a long time in the studio. I didn’t make it a rule but with a cheaper price for one person and no dog fee, that’s most of what I got. If you build it they will come. The only way I found to do it was by charging for the second guest. But I wish there was a functionality to show it as a discount, especially when guests are searching.

3 Likes

I am planning to list on that women-only site Go Lightly soon. I don’t hold any high hopes for many bookings through them, as they are such a small, niche platform, but I’ll let you know how it goes. It might be a good venue for exactly that- solo travelling gals with their pooches.
(They do allow male guests, but they have to be accompanied by the female account holder who made the booking)

2 Likes

I was listed on them for awhile but closed the account because I got no bookings and I was manually syncing the accounts which was too much trouble. In fairness, the pandemic happened but I’m moving away from more work, not towards it.

I stayed with a host in Austin who allows only one guest per room even though she has double or queen beds in the room. It’s a shared home so it’s easier to have rules like that and get backed up by Airbnb.

1 Like

When I wrote to Go Lightly about 6 months ago, I got a very nice, personal email back right away, saying they would love me to list with them and that where I live is one of their most popular destinations. So I might as well give it a try. I’ll also have to manually make sure I don’t get double-booked, but as I don’t use IB, hopefully it won’t be too onerous. That is, if I ever do get any booking through them.

2 Likes

ditto, ditto, ditto, I try not to get jealous when the dogs get a special mention in reviews. They love a meet a greet, the only difference is that Braxi is male (a rescue dog, KelpieX of unknown age, probably 1 yo we think) and he gets very frisky with every new dog, it’s embarrassing. He’s like a horny 12yo boy… (i thought when their balls were chopped off that urge was removed?)

I had one of those recently, and she snuck in an extra guest, left her german shepherd alone in the cottage all day, and there were muddy pawprints on the sheets and pillow. So that’s a hard NO to a discount, sadly brave independent women can be selfish brats too.

2 Likes

Well, a woman who sneaks in an extra guest isn’t what you’d call a solo traveler.

1 Like

solo traveller with a hook up, or a local friend.

1 Like

Sure they can. And one of the bad incidents I’ve had with an Airbnb dog (I’ve only had 2) was a solo woman passing through with her dog. It doesn’t change that I’d offer solo women with a dog a discount, or host women only if I could easily do so. It’s related to my feelings about stereotyping, societal discrimination and safety. I’d run by own “affirmative action” program if I could easily do so.

1 Like

This has been such a great thread with all the dog stories and photos! So warming to my heart. My two doodles are Host and Hostess at my Airbnb.

2 Likes

ffinty the Welsh Terrier exacerbated that biped is so slow in getting dinner ready.

5 Likes

We’ve had a lot of rescued greyhounds over the years. They’re all gone now. For many of our Airbnb guests, the greyhounds were a big positive. Quite a few people chose to book with us because of them.

3 Likes

Wow, nice Dog What is its name?

1 Like

Spike. He was a rescue so that was what his previous owner called him.

Me Too! I would like to require dogs, there’s no place for this on the platform LOL!

2 Likes

Alas, this adventure has also been bittersweet. Looking back on these two years, watching the early videos, and looking at older posts, the decline in Pluto’s health is so evident. When you live day-to-day through the gradual transitions of life, it can be easy to lose sight of the shifts. But then, a video from 6 months or a year ago will pop up and I am painfully reminded that my time with Pluto is running out.

I did make a conscious choice not to hide these difficult days, but rather, to continue to share our life with you and to shine a light on the challenges faced by a senior dog living with dementia and diminishing mobility. Thank you for the support and understanding you have shown us with this very difficult transition. Pluto and I plan to continue our shenanigans and to be with you all as long as it is effortless for her and makes sense for me.

My buddy has good days and bad days and we continue to create “new normals” for her and try to let her live her best life. Each day I have with her is a blessing and I must believe in my heart that she will let us know when she is ready to leave for her next great adventure. I know she will be waiting for me on the other side. I have a dear friend who believes that when we are reunited with our animal family, we will all speak the same language and will be able to talk to each other. How wonderful that will be! I have so many questions to ask Pluto and I know her first question for me will likely be; “Did you bring snacks Mom??” I’m sure your ears will be burning too because Pluto and I will be talking about all of you and the love and affection you have shared with us in this crazy Plutoverse you helped create.

@neo232 I’m not sure what your purpose it here. For some reason you have posted content lifted from a blogger that I’m familiar with (Pluto Living) and without crediting them. It’s bizarre.

1 Like