A case study in responding to a review

Yes, it will make the reply longer with more explaining. And it is all irrelevant now since you greet all of your guests in person anyway. By the time they arrive, none of your guests is going to recall reading about the bell in your reply. So it won’t matter if you even reply with 100% updated, accurate info of how to alert the watchman. The important part to read is that your guest was not left stranded, and gates all over Bombay will close at this time.

2 Likes

Faheem, if I read that review I would not have any hesitation to book with you. It doesn’t sound at all critical, just sounds like some tips for future guests. If you respond you make it into a complaint that needs resolution.
I would not respond. I would let future guests know when they book that the gate is locked at those hours and what they must do to get in. Imho

2 Likes

Hi Faheem - yes I mean don’t reply at all. There isn’t anything factual that you need to correct.

1 Like

Just adding my 2 rupees… ; )

It was a great review. He said so many nice things. A simple “yes, the gate is locked, but just knock and you’ll be allowed in …and…yes, you do pass through the hallway”

At the most.

I think he made your place sound very attractive!! I would book based on this review!!

3 Likes

Hi @Maggieroni,

Thjanks for the vote of confidence. :slight_smile:

@cabinhost’s wording is pretty good. Do you still think that saying nothing is better than her version?

1 Like

It’s really just a small room. I have to wonder what other Indian hosts are offering…

I still feel it sounds defensive. If you just can’t help responding leave out the last part that starts with Although this information …

But I would let sleeping dogs lie. The review is helpful not negative!

2 Likes

Another vote here for cabinhost’s suggested response - it’s perfect. I definitely think it’s worth responding to clarify about being locked out.

1 Like

Yes! Keep it to the bare minimum. Much more effective.

1 Like

(Borrowing from @cabinhost)

“Thank you for the review Ethan. It is standard practice (in Bombay) for the watchmen to lock all front gates between midnight and 5 a.m. Guests only need to knock on the gate (if after midnight) and the watchman will let them in. Glad you had a great trip.

:thumbsup:

4 Likes

Yes, this one. @cabinhost had a great suggestion, this is just a bit better. Very positive. For someone from the US, the whole ‘watchmen lock the gates’ sounds super cool and exotic!!! And safe!

1 Like

I agree the “Although this information” is tad on the defensive side. Just wasn’t sure how to word if Faheem wanted to be clear he did not fail to communicate properly.

Haha! I thought maybe I was the only one who thought that. I’ve heard Faheem refer to his staff as “his people” - it all sounds a bit glamorous - lol.

2 Likes

Hi @cabinhost,

I think clarifying that they were actually able to get back in is (relatively) important. Your wording does a good job of that without going into excessive detail.

1 Like

Hi @Mearns,

That sounds good. Except I want to make it clear to anyone who reads it that they were actually able to get in.

1 Like

Yes ,yes, their original sentence leaves the ‘locked out’ reality unaddressed, good catch.

“I strongly suggest anyone staying here reads the guest guide in its entirety, we didn’t know that the front gate is locked after midnight and we ended up getting locked out one night.”

How does this sound?:

"Thank you for the review Ethan. It is standard practice (in Bombay) for the watchmen to lock all front gates between midnight and 5 a.m. Guests only need to knock on the gate (if after midnight) and the watchman will let them in. We have now added a bell, for this purpose. Glad you had a great trip."
[/quote]

Not meaning to be nitpicky, but my point was that your wording does not make clear the couple was able to get in. I think adding something like:

I’m glad the watchman was able to let you in.

(from cabinhost’s original version) should suffice to get the idea across. I’ll mull over the wording a bit. Definitely not being paid enough!

I didn’t think it was a bad review. I would post the watchman thing because it does sound cool.

1 Like

Actually it does, it drips with - security.

1 Like

Faheem,

Here’s another attempt. See if this one addresses everything you want future traveler to know.:

“Thank you for the review Ethan. It is standard practice (in Bombay) for watchmen to lock all front gates between midnight and 5 a.m. Guests only need to knock on the gate (if after midnight) so the watchman can let them in. I appreciate your suggestion to future guests to read the house materials provided them, as they do contain important information. I am glad it all worked out with the watchman being able to let you in the gate. I do hope you visit us again.”

5 Likes