A/c and heat not controlled in rental unit

There’s actually quite a bit about Canada that is British influenced. You should go to Victoria sometime. There’s a store than specializes in Scottish tartans, and tea shops where little old ladies in white gloves hang out. :laughing: We also use those clotheslines with pulleys and the connector piece, that I think are common in England, but that no American guest I’ve ever had had any idea how to use, nor had they ever seen one before.

One of my daughters, when she was young, thought the Queen lived in the Empress Hotel in Victoria.

2 Likes

Do not mention it’s controlled upstairs?

I live in MA and the temp fluctuations are sometimes dramatic. I have an AC unit my rooms from May 15 - Sept. 15 and a space heater available all year. I had one issue with night nurse who used to leave the heater on while she was gone so her room would be toasty when she returned. We worked it out. In a basement I would be very concerned about humidity. It can make both heat and cold less comfortable. I have an LTR where I am planning to put in a humidity sensing ceiling fan in the bathroom to insure that excess moisture is not trapped in problem areas.

1 Like

I’m in MA too. In our basement unit where we live we have a vent in the bathroom and also in the laundry room that is humidity sensitive, meaning that it automatically goes on when the humidity is high. It works.

Maybe that’s what you’re doing too, just putting a sensor to activate the ceiling fan, unless the ceiling fan unit itself is humidity sensing. If you had enough height in your basement (we don’t) you could use such sensors to activate a regular ceiling fan.

1 Like

4b) Heating in the winter - there are no temperature controls in the suite. We keep the temperature at 70 during the day and 68 at night. We also have extra blankets in the closet. If you are cold and want us to raise the heat (within reason) just send us a message via the Airbnb message app.

1 Like

I have always had our first level 2 bedroom one bath apartment heat and ac controlled from upstairs in the main house. I have been renting for 8 years on Airbnb & VRBO and never had an issue. There is a propane fireplace in the contained apartment and I do provide ample blankets and throws. The heat is set @ 67 degrees during the day and 63 degrees after 11 pm and ac @ 73 degrees during the day and 72 degrees at night. Our solar envelope house gets direct solar gain in the winter and no solar gain in the summer since we have a 4 ft overhang and trees surrounding our home which faces due south and is on a river. I always tell our gets to let me know if there is an adjustment though no one has requested any change. I may be lucky but think it is not really as much of a concern as we may think it is. We are a home and not a hotel and somethings will be different.

Okay, that’s something I’ve never understood. Why do people want it colder inside during the summer than the temperature they are comfortable at in the winter?
If someone found 63 degrees a comfortable temperature for sleeping in the winter, why would they want it 9 degrees colder than that at night in the summer?

2 Likes

I am so torn but I think I like the first one best! They’re both really good but there’s just something about the first one. :upside_down_face: :wink: