A Break In at my Airbnb

I agree I never use my distance whether I am at home which is one hour away or in another country. It’s not relevant to my guests or my owners. Once an owner was hassling me to upload new photos immediately and I was in Bulgaria driving. I told her I had to wait until I got wi fi when I checked in. She was not happy with the few hours delay and that is the only time I have used distance as an excuse.

1 Like

I manage 2 properties remotely. I don’t have a co-host and manage to make it work. I’m glad for other hosts who can be there when the guest leaves but I cannot.

I always hate to see hosts (host a) lecture host b on what they should do and how they should manage their property based upon host a’s standards.

Suggestions are wonderful things. To tell someone to do it like I do isn’t respectful that one of the beauties of Airbnb is that it gives us the flexibility to manage our properties as we see fit.

If we are poor hosts, our reviews will eventually catch up with us and we won’t get the revenue.

3 Likes

I has an incident when we were away and AC broke. Airbnb called me and told me I should have had someone close by to deal with problems when I am away. They sounded like it’s one of the requirements .
I am just curious how do you handle situations when something happens and there is no one there to take care of it?

I kind of do have someone close by but it isn’t one person. I have established relationships with a plumbing company, a HVAC company, a handy-person, and a bug treatment company. A neighbor will go assess the situation if she is available.

If those good resources aren’t enough, I’ve asked Airbnb to rehome my guests until I could get the problem fixed—extenuating circumstances.

So far it has worked.

Sounds great how you manage . Last summer there was a period of time when we both were away for 2 whole months.
But it was totally new for me and at first when guests starter complain about really minor things that would be easily fixed by my husband I started panicking thought I did have someone who was handling hosting part completely in my absence ans he is very reliable.
I managed to find people in thumbtack.com, but my co-host had to meet them for appointment s as I couldn’t expose my guests to complete strangers walking into the house .

OP though had noone to take care of the issue. It sounded like OP didn’t have situation under control hoping it would slide .