A best short bad review for the guest

One of my friends actually did live on 200$ a montht in. Thailand, but not in Bangkok

@Yana There are prices like that in Bangkok as well for brand new buildings, but it will be like in the middle of nowhere. Monthly rates are very competitive here. If you want some accessible location need to spend like 400-500 USD a month but you will get a beautiful apartment.
However this does not affect daily rates a lot as it is very hard to rent out your condominium on daily basis because of high pressure from neighbors and condo management (most of guests will feel not welcome), however in huge high-rise buildings it is still possible as noone will just remember who is going in and out, however it wont be 19 usd a night if any good location, though you can still find 30-40 USD a night which is just couple $ cheaper than a hotel

I’m very thankful for the suprises that that forum always brings; Where else could you go from “A best short bad review for a guest” to a discussion on the going rate of stays in Bangkok.

Since its Sunday, and with apologies to @Ivan_Joorevic, I’m going to take it further for those seeking nostalgic trivia:

In the mid 1980’s there was an underrated musical ‘Chess’ written by members from the group ABBA. They released the soundtrack before it even premiered on Broadway, to create buzz, and to tap into the fame of its writers. If you’re an ABBA fan, its worth checking out the soundtrack.

The biggest hit from the soundtrack was ‘One night in Bangkok’

3 Likes

Love “One Night In Bangkok”!

In the meantime call Air and tell them you have A Problem. As suggested, ask them for advice. She can check out any time with her balance refunded. Hasta la unhappy guest.

2 Likes

I think it was Puckett, where she rented a room for 3$ a night.
I thought things changed within past 4 years but just checked booking . com. Still 3* hotels in the area of 30$, still found few 5* for 60$. Some in Sukhumvit area which is a center right? Most hotels says 4-5 km from center but it’s so many of them there so I am assuming it’s not in a middle.od nowhere.
I know that people sometimes save every penny when they travel , especially when they travel a lot but for me makes no sense to pay 20$ for a " budget " appartment from a private person if there are 3* hotels out there for only 10$ more.
That’s why I said may be she thought that for 20$ she is renting something more than what she found.
But you have nothing to worry about her. With 200 reviews you obviously doing things right.

2 Likes

I keep all my reviews honest and diplomatic. I would be true but factual. Such as

She seemed lovely in correspondence, but long after 24 hours of checking in, she complained that my listing was not up to her startdards. I have posted all true photos and never liked about what the unit offered or where it was located. I sadly feel she did this to try a get me to refund money in hopes that a negitve review might scare me enough. However I truly feel this guests didn’t not enjoy my stay because I did nothing wrong and refused to refund. I do not recommend this guests to other host and already called Airbnb to log a complaint.

Make sure to call Airbnb! always communicate only through the Airbnb app if you do communicate with text messages take a screenshot of it and post on the Airbnb app. Hope that helps. Airbnb has actually blocked a bad guest I had from reviewing us.

1 Like

Isn’t mentioning an ongoing dispute/claim in a review grounds for removal of said review by Airbnb?!?

1 Like

Yes. I think the guest would have to know that and complain but it’s definitely part of the the TOS.

2 Likes

@Kingi right i had my review removed when guest scammed me for 50% refund via airbnb because he told water is not hot enough

From this end of the keyboard that makes no sense to me. Guest stays for the duration and then whines and gets paid for it. How exactly did he/she/it go about proving this? Wrong.

2 Likes

@justMandi Is a wide practice on airbnb to give guest 50% of refund if guest was not able to use one of the amenities
we discussed it in the different thread
from my experience guest scammed me 2 times

1. No hot water in the shower saturday 11 pm (with +30C outside)
  2. Wifi is slow
    both times airbnb gave them 50% refund for the whole stay and deleted review as i mention guest scammed me
2 Likes

Sorry to hear this, Ivan. But I stand by what I said. Somehow they “suffered” through it.

As mentioned before, I twice stayed in major hotels where the electricity was cut because of small fires…no discount!

When I travel using AirBnB i get annoyed when I book a “home” finding out on my arrival its a guest house. If I want to sleep in a guesthouse I would book a guesthouse.

What do you see as the difference? Presumably it is a seperate building and fully self contained. I have a house and a guest house and list them both as entire places, which they are. I do not see what the issue is? Proximity to the main house too close or?

RR

I just checked, the guest house is listed as entire space then property type is guest house. So you would not book this because it is a guest house? What is the difference other than a guest house is smaller?

I think the primary differences have to do with

1. privacy (specifically in the yard / pool) and;
  2. the guest having less flexibility in bypassing house rules → Much harder to do w hosts on site (as a recent guest discovered). :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
3 Likes

I’m confused by the term ‘guest house’. (Written by @ZeroZ as both two words and as one word).

I grew up ‘knowing’ that a guest house is sort of like a smaller and more intimate hotel. Rather like a B & B, I suppose. In the case of this type of guest house then it’s like booking a room on Airbnb that’s in the host’s home.

Here (in Florida anyway) a guest house means a small ‘cottage’ (another misnomer) within the garden of a larger house. In this case, the property is listed on Airbnb as an entire place - something that any guest can see when they book.

So that’s my way of saying (yet again) that I don’t understand what the problem is. And also, why anyone should go to the trouble of posting about it. :crazy_face:

We hosts on site are monsters. Monitoring toilet paper usage, turning the temp to just above freezing, bringing in noisy boyfriends, playing Pink Floyd too loud, swearing. Shoot us.

6 Likes

You forgot the loud sex at all times of the day and night, and of course the overuse of herbal substances to enable this due to the dodgy knees, sore backs and hips like biscuits :wink:

JF

4 Likes

Thanks for the question. I will answer as best as I can. First of all I would book your guesthouse if the location, photos and amenities fits what Im looking for. I don´t hate Guesthouses. Far from it. Just want to know before I book if it is or not.
And another. Im not saying I know how all Guesthouses operations. Just what I have experienced staying there (I have stayed in about 4 Guesthouses so, yes, not an expert).

• They ask for my Passport for scanning at check in. I don´t like it. AirBnB has my government ID in the system. They got my Mastercard info, they got my email, phone number ect. I don´t see the need to share my Passport with the Guesthouse staff when I don´t see the point.
  • They ask for cashmoney for Insurance (not all, but one I did book). I found that annoying. AirBnB has resolution center that takes care of this. I never want to open my wallet when Im staying at AirBnB. All expenses on my Mastercard through AirBnB platform thank you.
  • House Cleaning ! You might say WHAT. This guy does not want his bed made and cleaned every day? Anwer is no. I don´t want. I can clean myself. I have the option to put on the door handle of the room “do not disturb” but they still come to the living room and kitchen. I just want to be alone in the house “entire apartment” please thank you. I can wash my own dishes and mess.
  • Lack of local tips. I sometime like conversation with the local and see his perspective. The Guesthouse staff can do it sure. But I am renting from the host and I want his words and mind. More personal for me. I can then write directly by his name in my review.
  • Guesthouses don´t have no personality (my experience). There are no surprises. No interesting books, no crossword puzzles. No cards. Its all streamlined and boring.
  • The original idea of AirBnB was staying like a local when traveling. I want to rent entire place at a apartment building among the locals and not be around plenty of backpackers from Germany when Im traveling in Peru. I enjoy more socializing with local people. More interesting.
  • Guesthouses rarely leave me a review. I take proud of being the best guest. I want on my profile that I am an outstanding host and outstanding guest. Call it lame but I like getting my reviews piling up on my profile.
  • I am a host myself. I want to rent in a apartment from host who is a local , maybe an apartment they live in. I want to see ideas. Some light touches that is interesting. I can take ideas home with me. I have picked up many stuff from staying in another local apartments.

Im not saying that you don´t fit any of what I mentioned above. Its just my short experience with Guesthouses.

Sorry for my english and spelling. Not my first language. Practice makes perfect.

What you are describing sounds more like a hotel or a traditional style bed and breakfast. In the US (as described above) a guesthouse would usually be on the property where the host lives. Or they might rent out the entire larger house and the guest house separately.

Regardless of what you mean by the word guesthouse I imagine that most of us agree that we don’t like hosts who misrepresent themselves. Impersonal property managers who aren’t "hosting, " only managing are a kind of listing I avoid too. Also hosts who have a bunch of properties (maybe 2 or 3 listings max for me).

Maybe you could post a link to the kind of listing that qualifies as a guesthouse in your definition?