5 Stars in Feedback - 4 Stars Overall Ratings

They say they are alerting guests for inconsistent reviews like this, I have no clue whether or not it’s actually happening…

If guests who pull the whole ‘5* categories but 4* overall’ are getting the “are you sure?” message, then pull the trigger anyway? Shoot ME!

There should be an IB setting to filter out these idiots! I don’t want them!

One-off review alerts
We’ve added a step to the review process for guests when they give a host an inconsistent overall rating. For instance, the guest may have given 4-star or higher ratings for all the categories (cleanliness, accuracy, etc.), but then give an overall rating of less than 3 stars.

The new pop-up screen asks guests: “Is this right?” And goes on to explain that they rated their overall stay lower than they rated it in specific categories. It gives guests an option to either change the rating or ignore the alert.

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/making-reviews-more-fair-for-hosts-93

Good to know, I wonder if my guest saw that pop up and still went with 4 stars.

@yecatsr @jimmyorangecounty My understanding is that they only get that pop-up when they rate Overall 3 or less after higher ratings on the individual categories. They don’t get the pop-up if they rate 4 Overall.

And lets face it- a guest who rates a place 3 or less is unlikely to change that rating because of the pop-up, unless they hit 3 or less by mistake.

The fact is that Airbnb tells guests that 4*s is a “Good” rating. The only way guests know that it isn’t, as far as how Airbnb applies the ratings to hosts, is if hosts clue them in to that fact.

1 Like

I know there has been discussions about “ratings guide” but the longer I’m hosting… the more I’m thinking about inserting the “ratings guide” page in my house manual book. Not sure how many people read through it but it could be just subtle enough than posting the “ratings guide” on the wall or something.

I’m planning on inserting this rating’s guide I just drafted into my house manual. Like I said on my previous message, inserting this in the back of the house manual is just subtle enough. Not sure how comfortable I would be hanging this up on the wall. I’d appreciate any feedback you guys might have.

I like yours better… it’s short and straight to the point. Thanks for sharing… I’m going to use yours if you don’t mind.

Oh please do. Please note the formatting is nicer than the mere text provided, and in color. If I recall correctly, we probably used the Lato font (it’s one of our favorites).

And I am pretty sure that mine is merely a stolen and modified version from someone else here - like @HH_AZ. Check out his posts - he’s got great house rules and other sage advice.

Oh - and do consider cameras. It seems that they may come in handy with your situation at some point. We will certainly add them for our new stay that will be opening probably next month.

1 Like

Thanks again, and I already have outdoor cameras and the Ring Doorbell. But sometimes, I think it’s better not to know or see… just sometimes…

Wish you the best with your new listing… especially during our quarantine.

@Jefferson I can’t help but think that “Would you stay with us again? This is a 5-star review” actually raises the stakes instead of lowering them. I’ve rarely stayed in an Airbnb that I would stay in again. Your scale would not guide me to give them a 5-star review. I give the 5-stars if it is accurately described, it’s not filthy and the host doesn’t hit on me (true story :roll_eyes:). But if a 5-star depended on me wanting to stay there again, well I would be pinging hosts left and right. “Staying with you again” really seems like a 6-star, not a 5-star :wink:

1 Like

Really? We generally enjoyed the places that we stayed in. Mostly, that is our trips to Europe.

We don’t feel that it “raises the stakes” and think that guests “get it”. Our goal is to avoid getting 4 stars by accident. If a guest feels that we fell shy, we want to know what needs improvement.

Our intent of “would you stay with us again” is not literal. We think that guests get the message and also have a great local area guide with many highlights, maps and photos. There is obvious effort into building it along with all the touches throughout the stay. We’re taking the new one to a whole new level.

If there is one thing that irritates me more than old testament like house rules, it’s folks who tout for reviews, and then also try to tell me what I should be leaving.

We had this in January when a co host said to me “you’ll be leaving 5* then”, which means it is solid guarantee that it is not going to happen. Takes away from the overall experience if a host pressures for specific review, in my opinion.

JF

1 Like

I agree… if someone tells me to leave a great review. This case is different because I’m not going to be directly messaging them to leave a good review. I want to add an page in the house manual book, which is only 2 pages currently. If people don’t read the manual book, then they aren’t going to see it. I don’t know the percentage of how many people actually read the house manual book. I am hoping this will be subtle enough that it’s not so in their face about it.

I’m assuming guests who wants to leave a 4-star review will continue to leave a 4-star review. I only want to inform guests who thinks 4-star review is a positive review. If I can change the mindset of those few guests, then this would be worth it.

Yeah, me too. But I tend to book last minute and end up taking what I can get, so many of the places are not something I would seek out a second time. They might be okay but I couldn’t say, “I would stay again”.

It doesn’t seem metaphorical or figurative :woman_shrugging:

But if you take your hosting to a whole new level, you won’t need to hassle your guests for 5-star reviews :wink:

I don’t like review guidelines in addition to the one Airbnb provides.

I have 600 reviews. 590 5 star; 8 4 star; 1 3 star and a single one star which was by mistake. That’s the only one that really bothers me. I did talk to her about it to make sure it didn’t happen again because she had already booked her return trip with me. Her written review was over the top praising the place so anyone could figure out the deal if they saw it.

I don’t have a guide I just try to provide the best possible service and room I can.

I suppose my bias against review guidelines is that they remind me of students asking for grades other than what they earned. Anyway, other hosts feel comfortable doing what they do, it doesn’t affect me and if I stayed in an airbnb with a guide it wouldn’t affect my rating of them.

LOL. We don’t have this level of faith in new guests. We’ll stay the course until the wind changes.

I’ve grappled with leaving a “star rating tutorial” for guests. Out of 185 or so stays, I’ve only received two 4* reviews - of course those reviews were combined with 5 stars in all categories, and glowing written reviews. :upside_down_face:

In my shared space I don’t have a “house manual”, I just usually go through any “points of interest” (AKA quirks) on the tour. Since re-opening, I give a very brief 2 minute masked tour, and leave a one page print out of anything they need to know. At the bottom I’ve added:
Message or text with any questions, issues, or needs during you stay - we strive to provide you with a 5-Star experience - no ask is too big or small!

I need to fine tune the verbiage (suggestions?), but do you think the 5* mention is subtle enough and not too bossy?

@yecatsr. For you, I would not change a thing, except maybe to build out more of a guest guidebook that they can refer to with favorite restaurants by cuisine, places of interest, etc.

Two 4 stars out of 185 … the results indicate that you are hitting it on all cylinders. Why mess with near-perfection?

Your short blurb encouraging guests to reach out with asks, etc is nice. I don’t think the mention is remotely “bossy” or negative. It states your direct intention to “wow your guests” and encourages them to reach out for any needs. Frankly, I LOVE it and will run it by Amy later today. We may well steal it, if you don’t mind.

1 Like

I think your message is okay. When educating guests about the Airbnb star ratings, what can backfire is if the guests feel they are being manipulated into leaving a 5* review. An explanation of how the ratings are applied to hosts by Airbnb is simply information they can do with as they like.

What guests need to understand is that hosts aren’t upset about 4* reviews because we all think our places are so fantastic or we’re such incredible hosts- it’s simply because of how Airbnb deals with hosts’ ratings. If Airbnb didn’t threaten hosts about how they need to improve if they get consistent 4* ratings, I can’t imagine any hosts would care one way or the other.

3 Likes

Agree 100%. That was tacky as heck. There are ways to spin that properly and that’s not it. As fellow hosts, if that was the only bit off, we would let it go and perhaps give them private feedback.

For instance, two years ago we stayed in southern France during a brutal heatwave. The stay was lovely but had no fan - we got very little sleep. We still gave her 5 stars but privately recommended that she get a few fans ASAP.

1 Like