4 stars and stained sheets

Exactly, @KKC! I charge a price for up to 6 guests, they brought 4. I charge non-refundable for early checkin (they requested 3 hrs but only arrive 1 hour early). They left my place beautiful; cut my cleaning time by 1/3. So, call me weird, whatever, I felt it was the right thing to do. To each his/her/their own. And, yes, they gave me a glowing review - that I earned w/o the refund, thank you very much :wink:

1 Like

@muddy Hubby does the cleaning, airs room immediately after guests leave. Small room - a glance confirms that it’s tidy. Grabbed balled up sheets and left them in laundry room. I was on the platform, easy review, get it done… And a couple stains on the sheets wouldn’t have affected the review.

Don’t most hosts charge cleaning and pet fees that are the average of what it costs the host, though? Sure, there’s guests who leave a place pristinely clean, or whose dog you would never know was there, but others who create a lot of work. If hosts just charged each guest for the real cost of cleaning up after them, it would be a nightmare - “What do you mean it took an extra 2 hours to clean after I left? What are you, some kind of OCD scammer?”

Most things work on averages like that. Just because you never get sick and haven’t had to see a doctor for anything in 4 years, doesn’t mean your health insurance is going to cost less than it would for a neighbor in your age and income bracket, with the same pre-existing conditions, or lack thereof, just because they’ve had occasion to go to the doctor twice a year.

And although I paid for private medical insurance for years and never used it once, the company didn’t refund me anything. My premiums helped cover other client’s medical issues.

Superguest status has been suggested for years, and while Airbnb said at one point that they were “working on it”, nothing has ever materialized. They’d get a travel voucher reward, like Superhost.

1 Like

Law of Power No4 - Always say less than necessary

You are running a business… Business is there to make money…

Always inspect your property before reviewing

Never let your guard down, even if you’ve had over 100 previous positive experiences

On some level I do too BUT a friend received received a refund from a host in Savannah GA of the cleaning fee.

Short version: she & her sister booked an Airbnb with a $150 cleaning fee.

When we traveled for work, she cleaned her room upon check-in. Yes, she packed cleaning supplies.

They cleaned their rental upon check-in & out. They had brought their own bed linens so they stripped beds before using & neatly folded sheets etc. They washed, dried & folded the bath towels & cloths. They left a note explaining the cleaning & clean laundry.

The host refunded the cleaning fee. My friend did not expect or request it.

I’ve never been able to figure out a way to say this so it doesn’t sound icky, but I fantasize about advertising “$5 refund if there is no hair in the sink and shower drains or on the toilet when you leave!”

3 Likes

I guess I’m old or something but I feel strange about the idea of rewarding guests for acting like decent human beings and leaving their rental in good condition.

To me, and I know it’s just me, guests (or anyone) should behave properly regardless of any rewards or incentives.

I also don’t like the idea of a guest saying to me 'our last host gave us a rebate for the fact that we left the place in good condition. I’m assuming I can expect the same from you?" That seems like a slippery slope.

4 Likes

That’s just asking for an argument. You find hair in the sink, they claim there wasn’t any. If hosts want to refund a portion or all of the cleaning fee to stellar guests who clean so well you can hardly tell anyone’s been there, that’s an individual choice, but it needs to be an unexpected surprise.

2 Likes

I agree totally. I cannot tell you how many of our guests have remained at least acquaintances, and we’ve remained in touch with several over time. A few were here looking for land/homes so we’ll be neighbors. My husband loves to chat with our guests (so do I but he’s really into it) and enjoys showing them our studio and collection of animals. I see this as a positive thing for him as we move towards retirement. Social interaction is tough to come by in the boonies and especially during Covid. If we feel a vibe that folks want to be left alone, we oblige but no one has complained about our attention/communication level so far.

1 Like

…or maybe discounts for bald folks? :grin:

They’re not usually bald everywhere :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

OP, here with update on potential “bad” guest #2. We almost never saw or heard her and she left a glowing, enthusiastic 5-star review about her “best stay to date” - and a very appreciative personal response. So, 1 off guest out of 127 stays? :pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

@muddy
Good point
:rofl:

Just goes to show that we shouldn’t jump to judgements of people when we don’t know anything about them. For all you know, she just had a bad breakup with a boyfriend, was totally stressed out and distraught, hence the lack of communication, parking in the wrong place, and smelling like booze.

I’m glad she left you a nice review.

3 Likes