3 misconceptions about hosting I learned this summer

Amen to that. And also to our property equity, just because we’ve paid our mortgage off, or the house cost less when we bought it, it doesn’t mean we give that away for free either.

4 Likes

Just touching on a few topics raised in this thread. Here are my thoughts for what they are worth…

Race to the bottom
I get pounded with emails from air intended to frighten/goad me into dropping my price by 20-30% based on some faux data analysis of other rentals nearby. These are automatically deleted by my mail service but if I didn’t know better and took air’s advice I would be doing a huge disfavour to my fellow hosts and myself. I’m sure a lot do respond, it is pretty compelling and there you have part of the reason it could be said that this is a race to the bottom. That’s a pretty (expletive) way to treat their herd of cashcows. But hey I guess that’s “business”.

Feeling mistreated by guests
I don’t meet my guests, they let themselves in with a code and I think a lot of people prefer this. It feels more like a hotel and less like a b&b. You are giving a little piece of yourself away with personal interactions which can take a have toll when your guest has the wing personality. No contact has the added bonus of streamlining my business in a big way and keeps expenses down. Time = money and I count it as an expense just like when I buy new sheets. The time I spend hosting could always be replaced by another job that pays $.

No good deed goes unpunished is a meaningful adage. I have a thick guide book which answers almost any questions guests have and covers everything from after hours dentists, to dry cleaners open on Sundays, to the 10 best patio restaurants close by (electronic/hardcopy). My welcome and departing messages include answers to the most common questions so that I don’t have to entertain these later. Eg. No they can’t check in/out early/late but they can leave their luggage outside of the suite being careful not to disturb other guests. People want you to take the lead role and set rules. Boundaries = respect but I keep it friendly, polite and attentive. I have a cleaner and frankly I spend almost no time on Airbnb. Making friendly appearances now and then might bump my 4.7 starts to 4.8 starts so I could keep up with the Joneses but it is not a game worth playing to me from a business perspective.

Is air a platform or employer?
Neither? Both? Something else. It doesn’t really matter much except air are a governing body that mandate and enforce regulations as judge, jury and executioner. It’s kind of like if you used the landlord tenant board to find a LTR and they took a cut - which doesn’t happen for obvious reasons. If air were benevolent, just and thoughtful about the way they problem managed, it would be a worthwhile service. But there is a big conflict of interest there since they are 100% business and the hostess doesn’t pay the mostess, the guest does. Guests are the customers, we are the help (or independent contractors if that feels better) who pay for our own uniforms.

6 Likes

Its imperative we all work like this. It will keep you sane and the guest is less likely to take advantage. This kind of unemotional interaction is what you witness with large successful company employees. They put you in an emotional straight jacket so are less likely to misbehave.

2 Likes

THANK YOU for the very wise input.
On target.

This is good? I can’t tell if your post is serious or sarcastic.

Ah, the internet.

3 Likes

Well, not sure about imperative, but I’m sure it would work for some people. I can imagine greeting people and saying “Hi, how was your trip, are you looking forward to your weekend?” without a massive cheesy grin, I think it can be done sincerely.
Unfortunately, I have clown blood in my veins, and as I’m warning them about a low ceiling, I have to fight the urge to challenge them to a handstand competition.
But I do see that some hosts can be welcoming and professional without laughing nervously the whole time.

1 Like

The handstand… that made me lol :joy:

1 Like

I’d give you a 5 star review for the handstand joke alone. It hit me directly in my laughing spot. I’ve had to deal with guest and tenant reactions to my 100+ year old bsmt suites for years. I can imagine the stoney expressions you would see on some guests’s faces though. Low ceilinged basements or even high ceilinged basements remind some people of our dungeon and help quarters past and it becomes touchy. As long as there is half decent light and no critters or mold I am in as a guest.

2 Likes

I’ve hear Americans use “wanker” referring to English people on American tv. Usually said in jest which is not the case when used in England. Then again in Australia “you old bastard” is what we call our nearest and dearest old friends. Men, anyway.

5 Likes

Sooooo true! I avoid our guests like the plague (lol). AND we live on the property. We only engage in face to face conversation when the guest initiates it. *Agreed~ guests want to be left alone! We give them a swanky, super clean place to stay (with privacy) and they bring us gifts, write us 5 star reviews AND come back to stay again.

2 Likes

Agree whole heartedly. @georgygirlofairbnb may think I like to underprice, but I look at the market and price it accordingly. I wish listed all my competitors, and check their prices according to mine, compensating for differences from time to time. My competitor could be an utter asshole and price it under the market. I can either follow him or stare down at an empty calendar. Unfortunately we can’t live on principles alone.

2 Likes

Agree! And, if I switch on “Smart Pricing” as Abb wants us all to do, the price would be even lower than I have it based on their “market analysis.”

Even with the restrictions brought in around having an STR there ?https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/15/tourism-pollution-backlash-japan-crackdown-costs-airbnb-10m-kyoto

1 Like

The restrictions don’t apply to houses. It’s INSANLY profitable to do STR in Kyoto. There are no restrictions for foreign buyers to own property in Japan.

After 2020 Olympics real estate prices will double in Kyoto and this gorgeous city will be completely destroyed by mass tourism. However, it applies to everywhere in the world where volume tourism goes. There is nothing that can be done about this. This is part of evolution cycle.

So you are saying that if you are not Japanese and you have a house, then the 180 days limit doesn’t apply @summerfun ?

Great post. All so true.
In the early days it was different. It did ‘pay’ to be nice to people. They respected it and returned the courtesy. Then I think AirBnB became too commonplace. The riff-raff started using it and downhill it went from there.
I no longer host. But I have to tell you, the experience of hosting for three and a half years changed my personality. I am now suspicious of everyone and dislike human nature in general (though not all individuals of course.) Thank you again for this post.

1 Like

yes, if you were one of those people who’d also turn down pay rises at work!
“No thanks, I’m earning enough ta” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hi, Helsi, would you tell me how you vet prospective guests? Do you have instant book? Thank you!

Real estate ownership law is the same for Japanese and foreign nationals in Japan. Your house is YOUR house.

You eloquently summarized ALL of my concerns related to hosting in 2018.
Thank you so much @SydneyProximity