11 night stay - should I replace linen and sheets during the stay?

I had guests for 2 weeks and I asked them whether they wanted a full clean and change of linens and towels half way through, but made it clear that there would be a charge. They declined. There is a washing machine and a tumble dryer in the apartment, so they can clean the towels and sheets for themselves if they want to.

One guest stayed for 3 nights and complained that the cleaner didn’t come in every day to make the beds! So now I include in the instructions that the cleaner only comes at the end, but if anyone wants daily cleaning or half way through cleaning, I will arrange it, but on payment of an additional cleaning fee. In the end, no one has taken it up.

1 Like

I just got a 16 day booking and before accepting it I made them accept there would be a general clean within 7 days (beds, bathrooms etc.) for the same reasoning. Also to protect the bedding from getting too dirty.

2 Likes

We are in India up north in a small quaint place called Dharamsala. India as of now is not a very mature market as far as home-stays/STR are concerned. The majority of the guests come expecting the same level of service/facilities as in hotels. We have learnt that it is very ,very important to set the expectation levels of the guests right. Here’s what we have done:
#A very very exhaustive listing, with each and every facet explained in detail.
#Special attention to house rules with do’s & dont’s clearly explained.
#Special points that can later become a subject of acrimony/dispute are again reiterated in correspondence with the guest on messenger once the booking takes place.
We do comprehensive cleaning after the 3rd night where all linen is replaced and the room deep cleaned. We do not have any cleaning fee as a part of the booking but, do mention that a guest can ask for a paid cleaning including new set of linen/towels when desired (i.e. before the 3rd day) for a fee. Has worked fine for us so far.
A 11 day stay as mentioned above certainly does entail a change of linen/cleaning half way through the stay. This would help keep the place more hygienic and avoid unexpected/ unpleasant surprises at the end of the stay. This however is my personal opinion and like as has been said above by others: “Every guest & host is different”

1 Like