Zilch, Nada, Niente, Nothing

There is a lot of competition out there lately, and I agree with another user that mentioned the ability to split payments makes sites like VRBO more attractive to some guests. Maybe you should try some free sites like HomeEscape as well and other marketing options - build a community of previous guests on Facebook, etc. Did you know that you can set up the wifi at your place so that guests have to like your facebook page before using it (just an idea)

1 Like

That may be the worst idea Iā€™ve heard in a long, long time. Forcing guests to do something they donā€™t want to in order to access an amenity you have listed in your listing is just wrong.

1 Like

They can also ā€œskip check-inā€ it doesnā€™t force them to do it, just suggests it.

My listing was approved in two days.

Super common at cafes to accrss their free wifiā€¦

I agree that doing something like that is fundamentally wrong and annoying as all hell. That being said, itā€™s the way everything works today.

The accommodation Iā€™ve seen in NSW, Australia is really expensive. $400 per night for a tepee. Makes mt place look cheap. interesting though.

1 Like

So my bookings have also been very slow (I actually went 11 straight weeks without a booking) and I finally just set up a vrbo listing last week. Iā€™ve already had 2 bookings and an additional 3 inquiries (all of which sounded serious). My prices on vrbo are slightly higher than my prices on AIR and I have 0 vrbo reviews ā€“ they must give a new listing bump in search results. Iā€™ve noticed there are fewer listings for my area on vrbo and they are priced much higher than whatā€™s on AIR. The other nice thing is that many of my Air bookings are 3 nights (my minimum) and the vrbo inquiries/booking have been 5-7 nights.

Iā€™ve been asking the reticent to tell me about their trip, themselves, etc. and Iā€™m getting enough information to feel comfortable. The deposit is real and I will send each guest a check a week after their check-out. Try it before bailing out?

My guests have asked about 2 and 3 installment payment plans.

Is you listing a whole place? Or a shared home like mine?

A whole place on a farm

same here! April to October Iā€™m booked every single nightā€¦ and I just looked at May and June and I have next to nothing booked. I scoped out my competititionā€¦ one lady in my neighborhood offers a private room at $35 a night with breakfast. Another across town is $32 a night with private bath.I booked 380 nights last year and have great reviews. The only thing I can think of is I had a long term rental that tied the rooms up for 4 months so not a lot of activity. I did lower the price on one room to see and instantly got both rooms booked later that afternoon.
I pay my mortgage this wayā€¦ single lady trying to hang on to my house! I donā€™t mind competitionā€¦ but $35 a night??? After sheets and towels and ammenities and taxes how can anyone make money???

:astonished: Wow, thatā€™s amazing. My years only have 365 days. Edit: you must have more than one room listed.

I also have some incredible values in my town. Nice looking places with private bath for under $40 a night. Hereā€™s just one: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17135878

When I noticed the competition skyrocketing I got nervous. I thought I had to lower my price. But what Iā€™ve found is that once those places are booked, people have to start booking the higher priced places. Right now I only have 6 reservations for the remainder of Apr-May. But by the end of May I will have been booked 80% or more of my days.
One reason why I can compete with the listing I linked is that Iā€™m right on 1-10 with an ensuite bathroom, heā€™s a 20 minute drive out of the way for many people.

After a few sets are ruined they will raise their prices? Some people have different standards of what is ā€œmaking money.ā€ Do their calendars appear to have more bookings than you?

Do you accept one night bookings? Last minute reservations? Are you in a tourist destination or on a major travel artery? How far in advance is your calendar open?

Think carefully about what your market is. Tweak your listing several times a week. Raise your price a buck or two and then lower it. That will help you in your search ranking.

Good luck and donā€™t lose hope.

I do too. Three are in the very next building. And itā€™s not a stoneā€™s throw away - I could probably throw a bowling ball and break their window, Itā€™s about three yards away. Admittedly ours is a one bedroom apartment and they have double rooms with private bath but we charge $100 more.

I sell our place on the view and the location and of course, these are exactly the same for my neighbour.

Luckily, there is a market for people wanting a full apartment with kitchen and lounge rather than just bed-and-bath.

Iā€™m a bit more expensive than many of the close by listings, especially the new ones that crop up constantly. I figure that when those fill up guests are stuck with us or nothing.

1 Like

Our area is a bit bizarre so Iā€™m mid-range, Some are so much cheaper and others are a lot more expensive.

Looking at the competition is pointless. Remember if itā€™s cheaper it will book up and be gone anyway. Charge what you want to charge with the terms you want to have and donā€™t worry about being neck and neck with competition.

2 Likes