Would you mention your faith in your listing?

I agree with you there. I think the profile is the best place to put things too. And I think a lot of it goes down to what kind of place you offer. In your home, well if you’re going to interact with people a lot, the individual matters about as much as the way the room looks, especially with certain people. And by “certain people” I mean the host who has preconceived notions. I would not want to be a guest in a home with someone who is going to judge me by the way I look or act, no matter how similar or different we think we believe. As stated in one of my threads, I can barely talk to my own siblings about anything. I would not willingly stay in any of their homes…

Thankfully, my listing is separate structure on-site. I don’t care who stays as long as they are clean and respectful. But if I had a listing in my home with our current set-up with my children I would want to avoid all sex from strangers in my home, sorry. Not because I think it’s dirty as obviously I made 4 children with my husband and enjoyed it, but enjoyment is loud and it shouldn’t neighbor my 4 year old’s room, lol. So it would be single occupant only. Now my husband and I are considering finishing the basement and adding a studio apartment there. Well, couples would be welcome there because they would not be sharing walls and bathrooms with my children.

But with all of these: faith, orientation, and national origin have nothing to do with it. It comes down to me protecting my children and feeling comfortable in my home. What happens in someone’s bedroom is their business, but if I’m providing that bedroom next to my children, well haha, it’s my bedroom :wink:

All that said though, when it comes down to personal faith there are all kinds of ways that manifests. And if a person will truly be uncomfortable with certain types in their home (and I don’t agree BTW), I think it’s better for it to be stated up front so the guest can avoid that place. If they’re not being booked, then maybe they’ll leave the market or at least send guests my way.

Ok, sex is out at your place. Would you happen to be vegan? Then I’d expect you wouldn’t want your children to see me chewing on some juicy pork ribs? That would also upset people who keep kosher or halal. Are you going to check my suitcase for a vibrator? Solo sex is a thing FYI. Remove any books that might offend you?

1 Like

@Louise
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to set rooms as single occupancy only…in order to minimize certain types of interruptions/noises/activities or for any other reason. Of course there is solo sex but do people really feel they need to book a stay in someone’s private home, in a family setting, next to a room with children, and get themselves off there – especially in a loud way? I think it’s respectful to behave in a way that fits in with the atmosphere you happen to find yourself in, and not expect just to be able to do anything anywhere. People have many options about where to stay and should pick a place that suits their needs, not demand that the host/homeowner accomodate everything they might happen to want to do.

For instance, I dont’ allow guests to bring their friends into my home. Some guests want to bring friends over…fine, book a place that allows that. It won’t be in my home. And dont’ book my house and check the box saying “I agree to hosts’ house rules” and then come over and start complaining about my house rules.

I think those hosts (or guests or others) who are upset about any given host’s rules, limits, boundaries, values,etc…are missing a very important point, namely, “It’s my house, my rules.” In fact this is such a basic aspect of hosting, I find it hard to believe any Airbnb host wouldn’t understand this point. No one is forced to stay at anyone’s private home. This is entirely optional for both guest (who could look elsewhere, and who, before the rise of Airbnb, had very few options to stay in private homes) and for the host (who is in no way obligated to accept any particular guest.) If anyone is offended by any limitations or rules at any particular home, why are they asking to stay there? (other than perhaps to act like entitled brats and create a nuisance??? )

2 Likes

There are plenty of people here who are vegetarian and don’t allow cooking at their place because they don’t want meat in it. No one here is offering a hotel. And many are offering space IN THEIR HOMES. That’s what house rules are for. If I was opening a space IN MY HOME I would only allow solo travelers since I have children. Obviously, we would not be a good fit for sharing a space, which is what the listing and the profile is intended to figure out. Since there are plenty of options out there for travelers who want to sleep together it would be reasonable to look elsewhere.

This FHA stuff applies to long term rentals.

1 Like

As the OP, I can assure you, I am not a troll. I posted my original post out of empathy for people who were complaining about the unsuitable guests they were getting. I just thought I might have a little something to offer – I did not mean to offend or come off as arrogant. I just like participating and if my two cents can help someone else, then great. If not, take what you like and leave the rest.
Additionally, my statement about my faith was so my guests could decide if they wanted to stay with me, not the other way around. I see by many of the posts here that if you arrived at my house and heard me praise the Lord or saw that I had a Trump yard sign,you would be outta there in a heartbeat! Some people downright HATE us Christians, for whatever their reasons. I would not want my guests to feel uncomfortable if they found out after-the-fact that they were staying with “one of those” people. God forbid, we might be praying for them while they are sleeping. Yikes! And my original point was that there ARE some people I don’t want staying here, i.e. loud, college frat boys looking to get high or hookers looking for a cheap “motel.” I don’t want to welcome everyone. There are some people who would not be a good fit for me and that’s the point of targeting - to make the experience comfortable for guests and hosts alike. BTdubs – I have some wonderful gay Christian friends. Your sexual orientation does not matter to me or to God. Romans 3:22. We are not all haters.

1 Like

@vhhorne As you probably know by reading different threads, those of us who have hosted for a while (almost two years for me) are good at stalking, as we like to vet our guests after they book (when we can finally see their last name). You started two posts asking for advice regarding whether or not to put your faith in your listing. Advice you got, plus a comprehensive dialog. I never read where anyone was attacking you, personally. Everyone was stating their thoughts. Threads on this forum tend to go in all kinds of directions, which is why some of us find this forum entertaining, as well as extremely helpful.

I found your listing in Colorado Springs and it looks like, even though you came across as very defensive on this forum, you followed the forum’s consensus as I only found a comment about you being a Christian on your profile.

Your viewpoints are valid. Please try to understand that the dialog that ensued is the way responses happen on this forum. And, none of us want "loud, college frat boys looking to get high or hookers looking for a cheap “motel.” We are ALL particular about what kinds of guests we welcome in our homes. You are a newbie and you will figure out over time what works and what doesn’t – for you. And we are all entitled to express our opinions on this forum. That’s the whole point.

I wish you success.

1 Like

I’m a Christian host. I think it’s fine if you mention it, and it’s also fine if you don’t.
We don’t mention it in our listing! When guests come they can probably tell by the books in the shelves or the cross on one of the living room walls :slight_smile:
Those who are curious ask!
No one’s complained! We get rave reviews. Many guests extend their stay!
I’ve also noticed guests seem to unconsciously be more relaxed about locking their room door!
So OP All the best. My only additional point is that many people now live their whole lives without meeting or staying with an actual Christian and the only experience they have of one is what they see in the media, or bad experiences second hand.
This is an opportunity for you to show what the faith really is like, less by what you say on the listing, but more by how you live and interact with people! Most people, I find, are pleasantly surprised!

1 Like

The Usa is 78% Christian. I seriously doubt that any one goes more than a DAY without interacting with one.

That would be my reaction.

3 Likes

I’m just wondering how you found my listing? I saw a huge spike in my views when I first posted and I’m wondering how you were able to find me by the info in this post. Thanks for the great feedback!

In which country?

20 20 20

It’s not hard to find at least something on the internet when you have someone’s name and location. We have your name because it’s on your forum profile and either you said you live in Colorado Springs or it was my assumption (I know you mentioned Colorado) as I live in Louisville so I know the demographics. You look stunning in that red dress, by the way! Your reviews are great – bravo!

:blush: Thank you! You must be a great detective!

Not really, Viola – I think that anyone who has been hosting (or has been on Match.com) for a while knows how to cyber-stalk. Like I said, all you need is a name and location. I figured out who put an offer on my brother’s house in New Mexico with only a name (and it turned out to be the woman’s maiden name!) and that she lives in Colorado. When I gave my brother her married name and that she either works/lives in Golden or Evergreen, he knew immediately that she was married to the man who used to rent his property. It really helped him know with whom he was negotiating (the house is now under contract with the price he wanted). Pays to know something about the people with whom you are doing business!

1 Like

I think it’s time to revive this conversation.

This morning, we received a notice from Airbnb stating that as of November 1, we will be expected to sign a new agreement on terms and conditions stating that Airbnb is inclusive and will not discriminate against any guest.

Now, we’ve never had a problem and we’re fully inclusive - race, religion, sexuality - nothing bothers us, but I do expect to be allowed to choose who I will host and who I will not have in our home.

There are people who are put off by journalists, and I have received death threats in the past. There are groups out there of whom I have been critical in the past, in published articles, and I would, under no circumstances, be willing to host someone who was a political activist from any of those groups.

Under the new Airbnb conditions, I will not have that luxury.

We also do not accept any animals - not pets, not service animals either. Under the new terms, that would be a violation. I have had breathing problems, we are a clean air, allergen free space. I resent having to risk losing that because of Airbnb’s new conditions.

How do other people feel about this?

Like every lofty grand idea: legislated and then a million exceptions follow to accommodate reality.

1 Like

I hope so.

If it’s not, we’ll be leaving the platform.

Not trying to offend anybody here…

In my opinion, mentioning faith in your listing is like an athlete saying I couldn’t have done it without the big man upstairs. It really is not relevant.

UNLESS…they are trying to attract a particular guest profile. Maybe they only want religious people staying in their listing because somehow they think it will be a “better guest”.

Maybe someone should start a website called BibleBNB or JesusBNB.

Again, not trying to offend anyone or their religion!!! :slight_smile:

Isn’t putting a Trump sign in your yard basically the definition of trolling?

2 Likes