Would you mention your faith in your listing?

Yes that’s true isn’t it. It’s the same with flags i noticed too (off topic here!) I noticed in the states every other house had a USA flag outside - here in the UK - none even in the rural areas.

3 Likes

Have to admit i’ve been biting my tongue so far because I think OP is trolling. I’m honestly surprised to see that the thread has stayed as civil as is has for so long! It’s really a credit to our community.

10 Likes

Although lots of Cornish flags in Cornwall. :grinning:

2 Likes

I think I would avoid a place that mentions their faith.

To me this would mean “fundamentalism”, and that is something I avoid.

4 Likes

Of course Sarah. You had good role models. However, there are people out there who believe one cannot be “moral and good” without religion. I mentioned my ex sis in law and her charming, well-scrubbed Calvary Chapel group who quite openly believe I’m as evil as they come and will burn in hell. They really scare me because beneath those beatific smiles are some of the meanest people on the planet.

4 Likes

The first thread met an unavoidable and predictable impasse, but then it is re-started again? Why?

You are right, a credit to the forum community for staying so civil for so long, both times. Good points.

7 Likes

I’ve participated in a number of online communites over the years. I used to be on one called the Raging Bull. It was a stock message board but they had politics and religion threads that were a lot of fun for me. This forum is the closest I’ve found to having the kind of quality exchanges that one had from 2001-2003.

6 Likes

Same K9, love this board. As we have demonstrated, we can really discuss anything. Also, the ladies here in particular have such bright, witty (and yes feisty) personalities, and great sense of humor, which I really appreciate.

4 Likes

Hey-hey-hey, I resemble that remark…the feisty one, that is. [wink]

You’re absolutely right. The poster lobbed the proverbial ‘bomb’ and then made themselves scarce. It’s lovely to see we are a civil and it would appear broadly accepting community. But then of course, we are Airbnb hosts. Of course we are accepting of others.

And just a little anecdote. My 6 year old daughter came home one day and asked if God was real. I’m an atheist, but want my children to make their own decisions. So I said,
"I don’t know. Lots of people believe in God, and lots of people don’t."
After awhile she said. “I don’t think I believe in God. No one’s ever seen him. No one knows what he looks like and no one knows what he sounds like.” And before I could comment she added.
But don’t be sad and don’t worry about me. I still believe in Santa Claus!

You just gotta respect everyones’ beliefs!

4 Likes

Your house, your listing. Really all that needs to be said here.

If you find that compromises your bookings, but it doesn’t compromise your beliefs, then so be it. Right?

I don’t and wouldn’t advertise my religion because honestly it’s not their business. I don’t go poking around asking my guests what they believe and I would rather keep some of my private life private. :no_mouth:

5 Likes

This is a great response to the thread! Thanks for posting it. As I mentioned in the original thread, this is my philosophy and it works well. Reading the thread got me thinking about how my comment about “my faith being important to me and hope it manifests itself in how I treat my guests”. Meaning, “all comers are treated with great hospitality and kindness”.

4 Likes

@vhhorne
It’s your home–therefore you decide on the guests…stating your religion or guest preferences is one way to narrow down the type of guests you are comfortable with staying at your home. Make no apologies for that…everyone is entitled to say what guests they prefer–I usually put “my happiest guests are young travelers, young couples, adventure travelers, students, business people” Also “must be in good health for the steps and walking.”

Again, you choose who you want to stay at your place. I also have a back and forth “converstation” via Airbnb messages–you can tell so much about a guest by their tone. If you ever feel the least bit uncomfortable, decline. Airbnb supports this–they WANT hosts to feel solidly comfortable with their guests (and vice versa!)

1 Like

Wonderful story. And that’s also wonderful that you’re so open about your beliefs because that kind of openness can get you in trouble. But it depends on how vulnerable you are. The Christians came after me at my work place and got me kicked out. Didn’t have the energy to fight it.

2 Likes

Openness is important as a parent. That’s cruddy that your workplace tolerated intolerance - if you follow me. But the way I’d look at it is you wouldn’t want to work in a place where you were being judged not on your performance, ability to get on with other or hard work, but rather on your Christian-ness. Good riddance to them and it’s their loss.

5 Likes

Thanks for your great comments. This was a public school in the Los Angeles Unified School District no less. It was baffling to experience how I was treated. I’d been working there for many years as a sub teacher. Once that cabal figured out my beliefs and orientation I was toast. The principal’s words to a teacher I’d worked for who asked why I was removed from the preferred sub list: “We can’t have someone like that working here.” Hilarious! All of a sudden after almost 10 years.

It was a big financial blow, but I’m glad I’m not there any longer. I sensed it coming. The sad part is that I really miss the kids. It’s a special ed. center with severely disabled kids.

I’m so sorry that happened to you. How horrible! Not to mention that it’s against the childrens’ best interests to not introduce them to a variety of people.

I used to keep quiet at work about being an atheist because of how much we’re discriminated against. Now that there are more “out” intellectual atheists like Christopher Hitchens and Salman Rushdie; I’ve quit shying away from telling people that I don’t believe in God. I’ve developed the strength to require that people who know me respect my beliefs as much as I respect theirs.

1 Like

Wow Ellen! Good for you! And yes it was probably the strangest thing I’ve ever encountered. People who were my good friends all of a sudden changed. There was, and probably still is a law suit that I could pursue and would most likely win, but I don’t have the energy for it. Life’s too short.

1 Like

Yes, I thought about mentioning that your First Amendment rights were violated and that you could probably successfully sue; but I figured you probably know that.