Worried about the lack of inquiries/reservations

I agree. It’s impossible to filter for private rather than shared pool for example.

I believe that as well as they have grown their inventory of listings, they should keep an eye on getting more demmand. You need healthy number at both sides of the equation to make this a good business for hosts. Dropping the price isn’t an option for some us when we are already too low, close to the costs.

1 Like

Your first one (Recoleta meets …) is on the first page. I never found the second one via scrolling. Now I want to come to Buenos Aires!

lovely place and lovely location.

I agree. And the new people start with low prices so that they can get some reviews under their belts and then established hosts lower their price to compete. So the new hosts don’t put their prices up as they originally intended to and the establish hosts keep their prices low too…

Before long, accommodation will cost $5 a night at this rate!

I don’t play the game. I see ridiculously cheap listings locally but stick to my guns price-wise. There’s no point giving the accommodation away. I’d love to know the rate at which hosts stop listing.

3 Likes

There are several private room listings in El Paso for $26-$36 with multiple 5 star reviews. People probably figure if they could net $30 a night 20 nights a month they could make as much as with a roommate. Right now I’m at 32 because I’m having construction in the front and it’s noisy every morning beginning at 9 am. I’ve decided my bottom price is $29 a night. That nets me $28 which was my hourly rate for “extra duty” as a teacher. I spend about an hour per booking so that’s my magic number.

2 Likes

I pumped up my prices (Boulder, CO. – $250/night S-T, $300 - $350/night F,S). I am getting lower maintenance guests and, while I may be one of the last places to get booked, I still get booked. Especially since the City of Boulder started requiring licensing (which I am now licensed) and it must be your “primary” residence (mine is on paper). Now there are many fewer listings.

2 Likes

I was never certain that down pricing will warrant you more reservations. There must an invisible bottom line on where people will start thinking that if you charge so low, your place might deliver low quality. I would question myself to rent a place that costs 10usd per night, no matter how amazing are its pictures and reviews. Don’t you think? I don’t have any good argument to state this but sometimes happens to me that if I RAISE the price I suddenly get the reservations I was needing. Of course, Airbnb is mostly for the budget pocket but there must a small percent of users who wants quality and it doesn’t matter if getting it will cost them 10 or 20usd more per night.

Absolutely right. I don’t see that Airbnb is for the budget traveller these days. (Maybe it was when it first started). We aren’t the cheapest by any means and our apartment costs double what it would cost to stay in the cheapest hotel in the area.It’s all about niche marketing.

1 Like

It so depends on where you are and what else is available. I just did a check for a weekend (two nights) in October at the St. Julen in Boulder for one room, four guests. For a starting price of $729 (including tax), you get one room with two queen beds and one bathroom, plus the following: All our2 Queen Beds Downtown Boulder view rooms include:
•Views of Downtown Boudler
•400 square feet
•Complimentary Wi-Fi
•Two Queen sized Stearns & Foster Plush Euro Pillow-top bed
•Oversized bathroom with slate flooring and granite counters
•Deep soaking bathtub and separate glass shower
•37” Flatpanel LCD with Direct TV
•Fully stocked minibar
•Lap top compatible In-room safe
•Plush robe and slippers
•Iron/ironing board
•Signature Canyon Mint bath products
•Keurig coffee maker with coffee and tea
•iHome
•Free local and 800 calls
•Complimentary bottled water
•Complimentary daily newspaper
•Complimentary nightly turndown service

The hotel also has a nice restaurant, bar and pool. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t want to be right downtown because it may be noisy.

For (currently) $600 + $60 fee + $65 cleaning = $725, my place has two bedrooms with queen beds, a bath and a half, kitchen, private decks, etc. I charge what the fancy hotel charges and I still get bookings because the St. Julien rarely has available rooms (and my guess is that their prices are much higher in the summer), and I have a kitchen plus double the space but still walkable to all the restaurants and bars. I figure it’s supply and demand. I do not market myself to a budget traveler.

If there are no Signature Canyon Mint bath products I’m not booking your place. That alone is worth $29 a night. LOL.

One advantage a hotel has is that they take everyone, there aren’t a bunch of rules and if there’s availability you can book, you don’t have to wait all day and then be turned down. Last summer I blew off Airbnb and stayed an a hotel for over $300 a night because it was too freaking hard to find a place that met my requirements in Manhattan.

1 Like

Please tell me which hotel you stayed in Manhattan! $300/night is a good deal for NYC. Personally, I’m heading to Prague and Buenos Aires – so many options and the prices are incredible :relaxed:

Yes, Airbnb’s prices here in Buenos Aires are incredibly low. An average room on a boutique hotel costs above 150usd per night, some of them above 300usd per night. The average costs of an apartment in a well-located neighbourhood for 2 people is 50usd per night. We are incredibly LOW, but I strongly believe it is due that fact that local (guests) don’t book through Airbnb so we are missing a huge market.

I’m putting you on my favorites list – just in case I head down that way :slight_smile:

It was the Affinia Shelburne and a weekly rate the first week in June

Thank you so much – great location, great price and 4.2 stars – that’s awesome!

The rooftop bar has a great view of the Empire State Building. Also had a very neighborhood feel not full of hotels and tourists

The last tie I visited in NYC, we stayed at the SoHo Grand and had to change rooms twice because of all the mold in the bathrooms. Way over-priced but we end up paying for only one night out of four.

Not a bad deal if mold doesn’t make you sick
LOL

We also got champagne and treats. I have a very tough brother who lives in the City and he took care of the “complaining”. He was polite but stern.