Why I don't provide breakfast anymore

The way I understand it is that you have to pay self employment tax if you are self employed and make over $400 a year. I was not aware that the type of self employment made any difference. Tax season is upon us and I’m sure we will see many many threads about taxes, most including wildly inaccurate information. LOL

2 Likes

If you file a Schedule C you pay the SS and Medi Taxes [both employer contribution and employee.] If you file a Schedule E you don’t.

2 Likes

Could not agree more! People FAR too fussy, and expect way too much. I’ve had requests for Almond Milk, sugar free jams, specialty breads, freshly squeezed orange juice (not store bought in bottle), down to specific coffee types.
Living in a remote area, it is either hard to find goods, or they are ridiculously expensive. I am NOT a supermarket, but I have the basics that I use, and guests are welcome to these if they so wish (fresh farm eggs, coffee maker, wholemeal bread) but anything else - it’s BYO.:cherries::watermelon::strawberry:

Fresh squeezed juice & sugar free jam, delusional, if you’re on a diet, simple, don’t eat jam or bread for that matter

1 Like

Maybe you shouldn’t consider yourself a bed and BREAKFAST?

I.e. go to an alternate service?

Dru_Nei - please get your facts right. WHERE does it state I am a bed & BREAKFAST? AirBnb do not state they offer breakfast, and no-where in my profile do I state I provide Breakfast. If anything, it CLEARLY states I don’t. No matter how much I try to make this clear, I have recently received a negative review because the guest complained I did not provide breakfast. When I first started my Airbnb I didn’t provide breakfast and didn’t mention this in my profile as I assumed (incorrectly it now seems) that people like you automatically assume that AirBnb does NOT provide breakfast.
Talking to other AirBnb hosts, it just seems that lately, some guests expect royal treatment whilst paying a paupers rate. If my profile clearly states I do not serve breakfast and they want it, then they are welcome to go elsewhere. It is wrong to make a booking and then complain about something that was never offered in the first place. :disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

BnB stands for bed and breakfast.

@Dru_Nei or it stands for Bed No Breakfast, depending on who you are asking.

4 Likes

Emily - maybe its because I live far from a large town, they think I just provide EVERYTHING. My profile clearly states no children. Yet one couple had the gall to turn up one evening and say ‘I hope you don’t mind but my sister and her 2 kids decided to join us’. They then asked for another bedroom as well! I was far from pleased (being newish I wasn’t sure of Airbnb rulings on this) - and the next morning they complained there was no milk! I DID originally have enough milk for 3 adults - NOT for 4 adults and 2 kids who were drinking the milk straight from the carton! They too gave me a low score review because I wasn’t helpful (later removed).

1 Like

Such as airbnb hosts who don’t want to give breakfast?

I can’t wait to go to Cuba for Christmas & complain there is no wifi or mobile service and my ATM card won’t work and there is no lactose free milk & gluten free bread at my ABB

1 Like

Only someone genuinely with Autism would have a basis for taking the name AirBnB so literally. AirBnB has never advertised itself as a service with hosts offering a proper breakfast & my experience at 80% of the AirBnBs I’ve stayed at in Australia and Europe is the breakfast is some dried up scraps of bread, jam (which I don’t eat), a left over bit of cheese and only enough milk for a tea so I never expect it. I figure they are just offering something in case I’m desperate. In France it was an amazing cooked spread but advertised as such and I paid more than $200 a night. Others give nothing. Anyone turning up expecting breakfast not advertised is delusional.

4 Likes

I don’t provide food for the same reasons as you. I ask them beforehand what kind of milk they want, soy etc etc. if they same milk, I give them full cream. There are teas and coffee in the apartment that I provide , plus fruit. After that they’re on their own. If they ask for bread or something specific I sometimes get it.

And “Air” stands for airbed. So actually you should get an airbed and breakfast. No airbed, no breakfast.

7 Likes

Many hosts would love to provide breakfasts but can’t due to local laws that require us to have commercial kitchens. Bear in mind too that for those of us in the USA (and possibly other places) we would be open to litigation if a guest had food poisoning - even if they contracted it at MacDonald’s and not at our rental.

When I had a traditional B & B in the UK I would ask guests beforehand if they had any special requirements (if they booked in advance, sometimes they just turned up on the doorstep with a suitcase). No-one ever had.

So they got cereal with milk, then a full English with bacon, sausage, eggs, grilled tomatoes, beans and fried bread and then toast and marmalade afterwards. Plus of course, unlimited tea and coffee. No-one ever complained or wanted anything different.

I well remember one American couple who put marmalade on their full English plate as though it was some sort of condiment or sauce. I really doubt it went well with bacon and eggs. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I totally agree with you!
If they want to argue , come on! Do you guys know airbnb actually stand for airbed and breakfast? We are providing more than just an airbed . I sometimes had guests complain I only have one bathroom or don’t provide parking or only provide one parking ( when I helped them parked car in my parking spot but I didn’t mention I provide parking ) they still complaint something i don’t offer .

And some don’t provide breakfast. So I’m not sure that proves anything much …

1 Like

AIRbnb stands for AIRBED - do you have airbeds in your listing? Most likely not. So we can’t use the name of the platform to insist that hosts serve breakfast, unless we also insist they have only airbeds in their living rooms for guests to use.

This discussion has been had - there is a whole thread on this topic. I would guess that perhaps 3% of airbnbs serve breakfast. I do, but I never find anyone else who does.

AAAH, sorry, replied without reading the whole thread. I guess the point is made!

2 Likes

I have 3 real beds and two self inflating airbeds.

And breakfast.

Air? √

Bed? √

Breakfast? √

But, I’m guessing I also have a better rating, and get a tad more per booking. I’m a 3 digit price point (where a week is never less than $1500) host who gets rebooked by the same guests multiple times.

Than whom? Not better than me and I don’t serve breakfast.

I don’t understand your point. Why do you care if breakfast is served by other hosts or not?

2 Likes