Why an Airbnb listing MUST be cheaper than a hotel room?

I disagree that airbnb should be cheaper than hotels. A standard room in a hotel is just a room with an ensuite at the end of the day. There isn’t much to do and you don’t really want to spend time in there.

Many clients I speak to who are booking for business tells me that they hate hotels and there isn’t much they can do to kill time.

And in Airbnb there is something to do? Like what?

Well in my airbnb we have a balcony terrace so you can sit outside.
We have a fully equipped kitchen and that is something you can’t have in a hotel room.
We have board games and books and also dvds…

2 Likes

We’ve had guests: play with our dogs, cook meals, work on their computers, play cards, play chess, do yoga, watch movies/TV, take walks/runs around the neighborhood,have chats with us and our neighbors.

3 Likes

Minus dogs and cooking all of it you can do in hotel, plus some hotels have pools, gym, spas and located near main attractions. Some people don’t like dogs or cooking.

1 Like

I never cook when on vacation, and my hotel room in Marrakesh and Tanger had a huge terrace overloooking Main Street , pool, bar, tons of travelers from all over the world to talk to. Tv programs on 7 languages , hamam with massage and excellent restaurant with ocean view .

Also my hotel arranged for me tourguides for very cheap, helped me with luggage all the way to taxi, answered all my questions without displaying annoyance , booked my train ticket , did my laundry and ironed for me and cleaned my room every day with plenty of fresh towels.

1 Like

That sounds lovely Yana. If you lived in a big city like London then we wouldn’t have all that at our disposal unless we stayed over at the Ritz or Claridges.

2 Likes

So true. I only book Air BnB places when I am in a location (like Turkey or China) where the exchange rate really works in my favor, and I get an English-speaking host to help guide me for cheap. I don’t in the USA or UK or expensive countries, because their fees are ridiculous and you might as well pay hotel prices and get the hotel service. I have found being in an expensive city (L.A.) that most of my guests are those who plan at the last minute and cannot find a decent hotel for the rates I offer and so deal with all the ridiculous taxes and fees.

2 Likes

I book in Airbnb all the time. I travel a lot for my work, and Airbnb is a great resource for me. Also glad I have a husband who can run things at our Airbnb without me when I’m gone. I do miss out on meeting some amazing people who come here when I’m away, though.

It is too bad that on this forum, we cant view the host listing. We all have different properties and different attitudes.

Mine is that I am a host. With a guest in my own home, I offer a variety of drinks and comestables and a spare toothbrush should they need it.
In the mother-in-law apt that I Abnb, I try to have as many things as I can think of available to my guests. From sanitary napkins to shaving cream, I leave the bath stocked with all the little things I have forgotten or suddenly needed while traveling. I leave lists of shops and retaurants that my guests would be unlikely to find on their own and which I would bet the conceirge at the nearby Marriot does not know about.

I figure I should be about half the Marriot’s high night and about 30% less than their low season rate. Ithink it is better to think of myself as an alternative, not a bargain. I am very lucky that I have an absolutely wonderful location…central and two blocks from 2 universities.

Recently, Abnb popped up at me that I was 18% more expensive than nearby place and 11% more booked , so thereforeI should lower my prices. Please.

No one should be cheaper than the local youth hostels and no one should be ashamed of charging what your place is worth…just make it worth what you are charging.

3 Likes

We can view the hosts’ listings. People show their properties here all the time.