What using airbnb as a guest taught this superhost

Human beings are an infinite unique combinations of traits, behavior, mental agility, intellect, past experience, cultural influences etc etc - which lead to individual ‘personalities’; no wonder hosts are so diverse in style, and thus impossible to blueprint and handed out to be copied.
Honestly, I listen to all and follow exactly none, because then I am freer to improve my own style.

/thought for the day. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

@dcmooney, you said:

“Don’t be tempted to fill surfaces with things. Leave bookshelves, tables, etc, almost completely empty. They need space for their things.”

I agree with you completely! And we do exactly that. And yet we had one girl complain in a vicious review recently that. “Their place didn’t feel homey. It looked like it was setup for Airbnb.”

Well, yes it is setup for Airbnb… thank you very much for noticing! But she said it as a complaint of all things!

But this is the same girl who complained in that same review that after reading in our listing that we’re in New Jersey - just across the Hudson from Manhattan - that she didn’t know New Jersey and New York were different states!!

1 Like

If she said that about ‘discovering’ NY and NJ were indeed different states, she eliminated any possibility at credibility. My goodness.

2 Likes

Amazing how the conversation can curve and change direction. Being a Brit now living in the US some of your comments really made me giggle.

But to get back to the original post!

1. I am very relieved to hear that Kirkland TP is good enough. I recently made the switch from another brand and had been wondering if it was soft to the touch for my guests :slight_smile:

2. Kirkland again… I purchased a big bag of their individual treats and have been leaving several packets in a dish for each guest. I have also decided that I will start a “Hallmark Holiday” theme. so for each holiday I will leave a goodie that is related to that holiday. Basically it could, in theory, all be the same treat just packaged differently! I thought it would add a nice touch without costing more than a couple $ for each guest.

3. I always try to greet each guest in person. I have had guests arrive very late and have texted them to say that I am headed to bed. I have left the outside lights and inside lamps on. A quick reminder of the parking spot and that I hope to say hello the next day (depending on when they are leaving). There have been several guest though I never met and it wasn’t a problem. I think as long as there is good communication it shouldn’t be a problem.

4. Reviews. One of the other things I have started to do is send a check-out email, including a question regarding any feedback of what could be improved. This creates an opportunity for guests to provide you with any feedback and for you to reply with how you will address the issue before they write their official Airbnb review. This extra step can help ensure 5 stars and a great review.

5. Noise. One of the advantages of greeting my guests in person is that, depending on the day of the week, I can forewarn them of any noise they may hear coming from the floor above them. Most are receptive to the fact that we have a young dog that occasionally sounds like a small race horse before his morning walk.

If you are still here, thanks for reading my essay. Please don’t deduct points for grammar!

3 Likes

Re: Noise - I continue to be amazed at how few people complain about the noise from us upstairs above them. I always feel bad for jet-lag sufferers who try to turn in early, or those who like to stay out late and then sleep in a bit. I always promise to be as quiet as possible - the always say “oh, don’t worry, I sleep like a log”. Personally I would not like it at all!!

Hi @JonYork,

Why not keep less toilet paper in the bathroom? I keep two toilet rolls in the bathroom on two separate holders. Usually one of them is partly used. I do this regardless of the number of guests - in my case it can be one or two.

And I guess my toilet paper isn’t nice enough to steal, because it hasn’t been an issue. Though it’s the same toilet paper we use - I’d never given much thought to the quality of toilet paper.

If people are going off with it, that must be some truly exceptional toilet paper. What’s the brand? Do you have a link?

I did have chocolate in the bedroom but it ended up on the sheets and bedspread too many times. I do leave bottled water for each guest and even though we have wonderful tap water they really like that. We also have a great Chamber of Commerce and I put together brochures that are in a plastic tourist bag that Guests almost always take and our Chamber of Commerce has a list of the Restaurants and a map showing their location. I put stars by the ones I recommend and menus from those restaurants that print them for customers to take home.

2 Likes

Absolutely what I tell people when I travel, you have to think of the US as 50 different countries because I’ve traveled to every state but Hawaii and almost every state has unique language, food, customs, etc., that I didn’t know and had to have explained to me. I don’t like to assume I understand because that just causes confusion and misunderstanding.
I applied that same attitude to the 50+ countries I’ve visited or lived in and it’s served me well. Listen more speak less.

1 Like

I have a guest book for guests to sign in and I enjoy reading their messages.

It’s a 90 mile drive for me to the nearest Costco. We do shop there but only when we have to go to “The City” for another reason, usually health care.

It was my understanding that the service fee was nonrefundable. Am I mistaken?

no. you’re not mistaken.

“most folks will be nice in the review process” right, MOST not All guests will be nice in return

Me too! I just replace Yorkshire with Bristolian.

1 Like

Yes I totally agree with these! I’m currently on a 6 month road trip with my husband and toddler, from Cali to Michigan and down the midwest/southeast to New Orleans. We’ve stayed exclusively at airbnbs along the way. I kind of hate the upkeep of #2 as a host, but man as a guest who has often checked in after a 4 hour drive with a 2 year old its so nice to have a little snack or a beer waiting.

1 Like

I get what you are saying but expectations like that make it harder on hosts. I can’t afford to give guests goodies like this. Unfortunately these expensive gifts often go unappreciated and I am marked down anyway for something else they didn’t like. So never again… No more.

I was a young mother once. What happened to planning ahead withe the snack thing. I never went anywhere without some kind d of snack packed. Just saying.

2 Likes

well of course I pack snacks, and we dont expect hosts to have food for us, I was simply agreeing with the original poster that it is a nice thing when you’re traveling.
and yes, I agree it makes expectations harder to keep up with, but I dont find it to be too expensive and It seems to be always appreciated, so far anyway.

This has reminded me that when I was superhost I used to put packets of peanuts in the room. Can’t remember why I stopped someone probably annoyed me lol.

2 Likes

I love the way Costco treats their employees, but we’ve found that when you buy large quantities, things like paper towels and toilet paper are cheaper at Target than they are at Costco–and better quality too. We always make sure when new guests check in that they have a brand new roll of TP. Finding a half-used one kind of reminds them that others have been on that toilet before them. We take the half-used rolls and put them in our own bathroom.

2 Likes

We do the same. Except we buy from the local supermarket. It’s a drive of several miles to get to the nearest wholesale place so it’s easier (and better on petrol consumption!) to buy them when we are doing the general grocery shop.

Now that we’re having a toilet paper conversation (and why not?) I find that more expensive brands are better. Those really cheap ones can last for only a day with two people using it. I think they are packed more loosely around the cardboard middle.

I can’t believe that I’m having a conversation about loo paper on a public forum! But that’s hosting for you…

:slight_smile:

4 Likes