What to include in mini pantry/toiletry kit?

I’m new to Airbnb and don’t like the idea of leaving guests full-size spices, oil, coffee, etc. and similarly shampoo, condition, etc., but want to provide smaller versions of the basics. Recommendations on what I should include? Any sources for this out there?

hi I created some small spice jars. I had some of those small plastic containers that you use for salad dressings when you pack your own lunches. Then labeled them with my label maker. I also went to dollar tree and found some complete travel toiletry kits for $1 that have toothbrush, travel size toothpaste, floss in a plastic zipper bag. Hope this helps

1 Like

Like @plazagirl, we started to bulk buy toiletries like shampoo/conditioner, shower gel etc, and decant into smaller bottles we bought for super cheap at dollar tree. Then we just leave those ones in the bathroom and hide the large bottles in a locked cupboard. Same goes for cooking oil and coffee. It’s working out more economical to buy large size and refill, they don’t usually get through it all anyway!

If the guests are staying a couple of weeks and want/need more, they’ll either ask, or realize that your contribution was just a starter pack and they’ll go out and buy some more themselves (and probably leave you what they don’t end up using, too).

Many grocery/pharmacy stores (Publix, Albertsons, CVS, Walgreens, etc) have a section where they sell Travel Sizes of toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, etc. I buy a case of 100 travel size bath soaps, as it takes the price down to about 30 cents per bar.

We don’t allow cooking in the cabana, other than microwave. But as a chef, if I were going to offer a mini-pantry, I would provide Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasoning, Old Bay™ and a pepper sauce like Tabasco™. I would find a source where you can buy boxes of 50 or 100 Ketchup, Mustard, Mayonnaise, and Pickle Relish packets – the kind you find at fast food chains. Restaurants supply stores will have such supplies.

@thosearethings Jessie, I buy travel size containers of brand-name shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste and shower gel at the dollar store (Big Lots). I also buy quality full size bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash and make them available so that guests can pick from the individual containers or the large containers. Surprisingly, most guests don’t use the travel-size items or the full-size items, which puzzles me. I never refill containers, except for liquid hand soap that I keep in a fancy crystal dispenser. I make available salt, pepper, various teas, various coffees, etc. Surprisingly, even soda, Gatorade, fresh apples, etc, are rarely consumed by guests. I leave small bags of snacks such as brand-name potato chips, etc, and guests do eat them.

I’ve had the same thing happen. I bought good quality travel sized toiletries in bulk and maybe 1 in 10 guests use them. But they’re there if people want to use them. And I have them available for personal travel!

And I have people mention my snacks and food and the need to not have to bring anything for breakfast and snacks, and yet even with longer stays hardly any of the food is eaten! I guess they bring their own food without knowing, hence mentioning it in reviews?

But the main toiletry items I’ve had used which is I think important to have is a container with q-tips and cotton balls. And maybe a clothing repair kit.

I think the reason why folks don’t really use the small toiletry samples like shampoo and conditioner is because folks are picky about what they use to wash their hair or body. Some brands really dry out the skin and hair.

In addition, food left out like the apples mentioned, you just never know how long it’s been there.

1 Like

I use a mounted dispenser in the shower similar to this : https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/clear-choice-shower-dispenser/1011750265? for shampoo/conditioner/body wash and top it off between guests. I buy in bulk of good quality products and top off between guests. The body wash gets used way faster than the shampoo/conditioner. I haven’t had any guests complain and have all 5 stars reviews so far (knock on wood). I’ve even had a few guests ask me what brand I use… I have this called out as one of the amenities I provide for guests.

Female Sanitary products