What % of the revenue do you give to your landlord?

Yes, and I was pointing out that in the U.S. if there is illegal activity or the suspicion of illegal activity taking place on your property the property can be seized. This is regardless of your knowledge.

Hi all. This went totally off topic. My initial question was specifically for those people who rent a flat and do airbnb… I wanted to know what kind of arrangement do they have with their landlords to split revenue… But I see here people talking about insurance and such. If there’s a moderator in this forum please split this topic or open a new topic to talk about that. Thanks!

There is no need to split the topic, as the discussion involves the issues that face people who rent and do Airbnb. If you are bored with the insurance discussion, you shouldn’t be. It’s part of the responsibility you face when you rent someone else’s property on Air.

6 Likes

Mildly off topic but if I remember rightly, when you sign up as a host on Airbnb you agree to their TOS. One of these (again, if I remember correctly) is that it is incumbent on the host to ensure that they are able to rent their place legally (local laws, HOA rules, condo associations rules, landlord’s permission etc.).

If a host disregards this doesn’t that mean that because they are in conflict with Airbnb’s TOS that Airbnb owes them nothing in regards of support, resolution, arbitration etc? Plus, they can remove illegal listings as they wish without offering an explanation to the host?

I really wouldn’t want to risk all that.

6 Likes

That is a really excellent question.

4 Likes

Thanks thought that was how it worked. I too rented a totally empty flat so wasn’t too worried when the insurers said they wouldn’t cover my contents as it’s mine to begin with.

Thanks Ash - I can’t imagine it will be too difficult to add my landlord !

Do ask, it could be trickier because the landlord owns it. Maybe she can get a policy in her name that you pay for.

I rent and my landlord knows about it and is totally fine with it. His attitude is - whatever it takes for me to pay the rent - he doesn’t care! We lucked into that though, I guess. He owns a couple of very small buildings, so he’s not a big landlord and he knows all his tenants personally and has frequent contact with all of us.

How is that going with the new NYC regulations?

@dsanchez… You flagged this? I AM a moderator. I can’t understand why you are so bothered about this discussion.
Start a new thread if you wish. We are not breaking up this one because it contains valuable discussion useful to all hosts!

2 Likes

Please stop flagging moderators. If you really hate that we go off topic, perhaps you need to find another forum. Because going off topic is common on this forum and posts won’t be removed, split up or edited especially if the discussion is relevant.

3 Likes

great encouragement for new users specially coming from a “moderator”. So the persons who go off topic should remain discussing the off topic, and the person who created the initial topic (which has little to do with 90% of this discussion) should go and create a new one. Hey, thanks for the advise!

This is how this forum is. I didn’t create the forum, I don’t control its character.
Plus, it’s not really going off topic. The discussion is relevant to the question of hosting in someone else’s property. Again there are other places to post if you don’t like us. There is the door. :smile:

2 Likes

@dsanchez the conversation is related to your responsibilities as a tenant but admittedly it doesn’t specifically answer your question about income.

Personally i have enjoyed this thread if just to find out there are more renters on these boards than I thought :slight_smile:

We’re all here to support each other so embrace the quirks of the forum (I had to swallow necroing threads which I personally think is bad practice…)

2 Likes

Thanks.

I was just surprised that no-one said, “hey, this is becoming off topic, let’s open another topic to continue the discussion”. Instead, I am advised to leave the forum and I am told that “off topic is a common practice” (?). Coming from a “moderator” such behaviour is appealing.

Anyway, my last comment in this topic which should be renamed because the discussion in it has little to do with my original, very specific question.

Why do you keep putting “quotation” marks around that word?
I answered your question about going off topic earlier on but didn’t advise you that you might be happier elsewhere until you started getting combative. I still don’t see what your problem is.

2 Likes

Look @dsanchez this is the deal - you only joined this forum on November 27th. You’ve been told you that the culture and ethos of this forum may be slightly different than others. There is no such thing as off topic, particularly. Plus, insurance and how it would work is certainly related to your question. Kona made that clear.

Maybe you could read through some of the posts here and get a feel for the forum before demanding accommodations and accusing a moderator. There are many other forums and groups out there if you want a highly moderated experience. You won’t get the depth and breath of voice, though, I can tell you that. Lord knows I’ve been pissed off in this group, too, but truly, there is a ton of advise here to be gleaned and shared - and friend to be made - if you come with the right attitude.

Also - and we answered this part already, too - there are more Owner Hosts here than Renter Hosts and we are hard on renter hosts. We will put them through the ringer if they are hosting without permission or outside the law. You might be able to find a group dedicated to Renter Hosts where you will be happier.

Again, not splitting the topic.

1 Like

I agree. LOL.

Also on this forum a post must be at least 20 characters. I hope that’s okay with you.

3 Likes

We moderators are often appealing and appalling and often at the same time! :smiling_imp: :innocent:

3 Likes