What % of the revenue do you give to your landlord?

I agree. Civil disobedience has led the way in many legal fights through the ages. Many jurisdictions are really overstepping in my opinion by telling property owners or those with private contracts (i.e. arrangements with their landlord) what they can or cannot do with their property. Government is filled with people who think they know what’s better for everyone else than we do ourselves and should be able to dictate what is “best” for us.

2 Likes

That seems a bit crazy that you cant rent your own condo - fully agree with 1 host 1 house in cities with housing shortages. Whats the thought process behind no STRs in condo buildings? If u don’t know, no worries, just curious!

1 Like

I know what you mean. I wanted to build a two story patio on the side of my house so I could have a good view of the city lights. Apparently there is some dumb law telling me what I can and cannot build within a certain distance of the house next door. Like it’s my fault there is only 10 ft between houses. And who cares if my treehouse patio is now looking into my neighbor’s yard? Neighbors didn’t like it when I painted my house UT Longhorn Burnt Orange and put a giant lighted Bevo on my roof. “Property values, wah, wah, wah!” Since I’m gonna live here 'til I die and got no children what do I care? Screw 'em. I paid for this house, I paid my taxes and I never got no help from no one.

4 Likes

This is why I prefer the private Airbnb forums. You don’t have to deal with hosts who think all other hosts should be banned just because they managed to get a licence. Worse, people here are swallowing the anti Airbnb arguments because they don’t understand enough about the maths to see that the arguments don’t hold water if examined even cursorily.

For Example, In New York City it is claimed that Airbnb takes apartments off the rental market reducing vacancy for ordinary people and driving up the cost of rent. There are loads of Airbnbs in New York so this must be logically true, right?

However if you look at the maths there are roughly 8000 Airbnb units rented out as full apartments, all year round. The rest of the listings are either private rooms or places available for the odd week while owners are on holidays. Still sounds like a lot, right?

Lat year New York issued 56,528 permits for new buildings. That means that every Month the city adds 4000 new residences and so ALL of the Airbnb stock would only equal 2 months of new development stock and only as a once off.

Lets put it another way. Put all Airbnb units back on the long term rental market and it will put the vacancy rate and rental prices back to where they were at the start of October 2016, which is exactly where they are today.

So, if it has no impact on rental rates in the city, what is the point in banning it? Only to appease the baying mobs of housing activists who don’t understand the realities of what they are asking.

3 Likes

I’m a landlord and I live in my triplex and do share hosting but I wouldn’t let my renters do it because of my Insurance & I’d be most likely left to cover any damage done by guests. There might be more lenient landlords than me, but I’d be surprised. If one of my units was vacant I might consider listing it on Airbnb, because I’d make a lot more money, but I have renters that say they’re never moving & they’re good tenants.

Your argument is missing many of the more nuanced aspects of the housing market in NYC, like where those building permits are issued, whether they are rentals or co-ops, and where Airbnb properties are concentrated. And rent stablization. And “braying mob”? Really?

I support the laws of NYC. I think it’s been a good compromise. Airbnb hosts can share their home (which I am not super crazy about, but I can accept) but our communities and homes are not overrun by strangers and tourists.

3 Likes

What is missing from the “me, my, mine” chorus is any sense of empathy or self awareness. If they were looking for affordable housing and couldn’t find it, they’d be “housing activists” as well. I’d guess that most hosts would probably not prefer to live next to an airbnb rental either. Personal property rights are not absolute if you want to live in a community with other people.

2 Likes

Well please, don’t let the door hit you on the way back to the private forums!

2 Likes

No … we are saying either be legal or don’t do it.
Air DOES affect housing stock, how could it not. There has to be a happy medium, otherwise Airbnbs will take over the city. And you KNOW it’s true.

But I guess I’m talking to the air. You already left for the private forums where they support illegal hosts.

3 Likes

I just explained how. Did you not read it?

Even if you think the numbers are wrong and there at triple the amount of listings at 24,000 its still 6 months of stock, as a once off. And the 8000 number came from Insideairbnb which is an activist site so its probably really only 2000…’

I’ll also throw in that 65% of New York houses are rented, 35% owner occupied and under one quarter of 1% are Airbnb. It is absolutely minuscule, at best.

That is “How it could not”

It was kindly pointed out to me (thank you @KKC) that superhostnyc’s apartments are NOT in NYC. They are not even in New York State. Regulation is up to the good people of Weehawken and New Jersey.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Major Airbnb crackdown coming, it sounds like!:

Secrets, apparently Air has been forced to agree with "how could it not."
I think this is the pushback we will begin to see globally. Too much Airbnb is not a good thing.

3 Likes

I do the same like superhostnyc,I rent and sublet 4 apartments from two different landlords with their permission and I pay them monthly rent,nothing more.

@JanaM I promise I am not trying to pick a fight! I’m just curious how you presented this arrangement to your landlord and how you deal with local regulations (if you are in a city that has them)? Also, where are you located?

1 Like

Do your landlords know their standard homeowners insurance will get canceled if it is discovered that commercial activities are going on using their properties?

Azraela I know you are not.I just said how I have it and agreed with superhostnyc :slight_smile:
I am in Scotland and we do not have any regulations so far and fingers crossed we will not :-).I would lose my main income if I could not do airbnb

This is the trouble. Air becomes so addictive, it’s like we die with the needle in our arms, as @azreala so cleverly puts it. :wink:

But your landlords should really be protected and also should know that any insurance YOU get probably only protects you and not the landlord.

4 Likes

I have holiday let insurance for my apartments

I just wanted to be crystal clear, since above I was accused of being some type of housing activist :joy:

I think its great if you and your landlord have a mutually beneficial arrangement. As @konacoconutz pointed out in the US, there is just so much risk of potential lawsuits that I don’t think it would be worth it for the landlord.

2 Likes

But do the policies protect the OWNER?

1 Like