What is your proportion/percentage of problem guests?

Serious? You have to renew your floors to the ground. That’s a costly change.

It used to be 3 or more positive reviews, now it can be only one. I’ve had a few IBs that only had one review. It made me a bit nervous at first but honestly, some of my absolute worst guests have had a string of great reviews so I think the whole thing is a bit of a lottery.

You know how in the winter, up north, your feet always feel cold? Not with heated floors; had a condo in Idaho with it; always kept my ‘tootsies’ warm. :sunglasses:

I have under floor heating too :slight_smile:

No radiators anywhere in my flat. My place was built 20 years ago … I think at the time it was seen as very cutting edge, I have a garbage disposal unit in my sink too which is also an oddity in the UK.

I have one too and I love it. I don’t understand why nobody else in my area uses such a thing.

1 Like

I know! You should see my guests faces when I tell them to put their teabag down the sink…they can’t believe me when I say it’s fine ! Really? Really? Often I have to grab the food from them…

I love I don’t have food waste in the bin… nothing for pests to get attracted to :smiley:

My guests from the UK and Canada are often flummoxed by the disposal and my instruction to only put liquids down the sink! Because that is what they do anyway with kitchen sinks! LOL.
(Had to make that rule after some dummy guests put pineapple, papaya rinds and coffee down the sink! In what universe do you do that!! Poor guests after that get to only put liquid down!)

Besides, I had guests that never saw a dishwasher or an exhaust hood in their lifes before.

1 Like

lol!! That’s pretty funny though I know going to be honest and say I shove all those things down mine! I just make sure to flush with lots of cold water !

You’re not supposed to put tea bags in garbage disposals. Also, they are not meant for you to scrape your plate in to. They are meant for very small amounts of food that stick to the dishes after you scrape them.

2 Likes

Guess mines different. It’s a massive hole (bigger than my fist) and the unit boasts it can even grind bones up! It couldn’t handle 28 eggshells though and that’s when I learned the limitations of what I could stuff down there …

You might have something with the tea though … when I broke the unit it spewed all the tea leaves back up and I had black gunk on the ceiling …

EDIT : just checked that list. Literally put everything but eggshells down there … I think I’ve been skating on thin ice thank you @EllenN! Like it says even if you haven’t had a problem yet one is probably round the corner … so I’ll go back to putting the waste in the bin :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I have not found past reviews useful in predicting guest behavior. My worst guest (the crazy French guy) had nothing but positive reviews, for example. And quite a few of those. And other guests, which have been trouble-free, have had negative reviews written about them. Though nothing really bad, otherwise I would not have taken them. E.g. the guests who just left had a fairly bad (though not very coherent) review written in French, though it was for a group trip and didn’t reference them directly, so may not have actually been about them. And in general many hosts do a poor job of writing negative reviews when they do write them, so it’s hard to assess whether there is a real problem.

That has been my experience also. I’ve had one broken window (half guest fault), one stolen stereo speaker (brand new), one stolen box of invaluable international money collection (same thief), one bunch on drunken band members who slashed Air bed with beer bottle tops & pretended they didn’t notice, and one bizarre guest who washed 17 loads of washing for ‘friends’ who appeared in droves every night for 3 nights (ABB kicked her out, I got paid the last 4). And that’s out of nearly 100 guests. I don’t count the 2 girls who came for a 2 month stay (they lived 3 hours from me) and left after the first night as they couldn’t park in my driveway and were ‘scared of the city’ as they were just to crazy for me to consider. ABB paid me for 6 weeks out of their 8 and I rebooked 5 of them so I was happy with my big profits with all the drama they caused me.

Everyone else has been pretty darn good and I have 3 really good friends. 2 who were my guests, and 1 who was my host in Paris. I also have 3 brand new scarves from Asian guests, beautiful Japanese pens, a polished wooden Apple from Korea from a 100 year old store the guests dad runs and a beautiful porcelain biscuit jar from Holland. All gifts from my guests. That’s not to mention the mothers days and birthday presents and cakes. Actually I’m feeling pretty good reflecting one this. I’m glad I just spent an hour decorating my guests’ room for their arrival on Thursday with Christmas stockings, snow globes and golden pine cones.

1 Like

lol!!! I have removed the garbage disposal unit from all 3 of the rentals I manage. It’s made my life so much easier and I don’t have to shell out $150 each time the tenant clogs the sink. It’s usually the first thing that went wrong when new tenants moved in, besides poking holes in the newly re-screened front door.

1 Like

I have replaced two in my guest suite. Next time it happens I am removing it. Did it cost a lot for you to switch it to straight piping?

I’ve forbidden solids down the disposal. The clueless dummies who did the final straw (pineapple and Papaya rinds, coffee and fish bones) forced me to put up a sign that says, liquids only down sink. I show guests how to compost their waste, and leave extra bags for this.

I’m pretty good at plumbing, but I called a plumber to remove them and just put in a regular “P” trap. It’s very simple and it resolves the issue of putting the wrong stuff in. There’s a little stainless steel basket/stopper thing that can stay in the drain to filter out the chunks, but it’s ok without it because there’s a built in strainer that prevents stuff from going down.

I think I’ve whined here before about the tenants who burnt out the brand new disposal that caused a blockage on one side of the double sink. It had probably happened months before they moved out because it looked like a swamp with trash and food floating in it. They were pigs. Neo-natal RNs both of them. They left other damage.

1 Like

Good object lesson: anything they tend to constantly ruin and be challenged by like it’s some ‘complicated nuclear bomb’ - remove.

1 Like

With some of these people it’s just plain laziness with some stupidity mixed in. These people had a moving party the night before and just walked out the next day and left all the stuff from the party plus half of their furniture.

I stopped kitchen access because it either was never clean enough or people wanted to take it over and make a mess and not clean up. At least I was there to stop the guy who wanted to make beet soup from beets he brought back from the food bank (and I know that’s messy since I tried to make beet soup before myself).