What is your proportion/percentage of problem guests?

“Problem guests” is just too subjective and cannot cover the millions of different ways people host as has been noted. I have only reported 2 guests as unsafe to Airbnb and had them moved because I wasn’t comfortable with their level of alcohol abuse. None of this was reflected in reviews by any party and I’m not sure I did the right thing by not being honest about such guests. It’s sad, nowadays I usually spend most of my interaction with guests telling them horror stories about previous guests so they get the picture (this can be started with - ever thought of opening an airbnb yourself? why not? or “have you ever had a horrible roommate?”) and making sure they know that Airbnb does not thoroughly criminal background check hosts or guests. People are often fascinated by this “Airbnb Confidential.” And no, I do not name names. It’s the No tell Motel. I do not understand how I got so many good reviews either but maybe some people appreciate honesty.

I tell them Airbnb anecdotes too, but selectively, and usually to make a point, and only if interested.

For example, the one about the one about the young chap who wrote at the bottom of his suggestion form (which I saw at checkout) that I should get a new A/C. When asked about this, he said that the A/C wasn’t working. I said that it was a (relatively) new A/C, and nobody had reported any problems with it. After he left, I checked, and the A/C was set to Fan, and he’d left all the windows open, because of course it had got hot. And no, he hadn’t said anything about it during his stay. That one didn’t leave a review. I’m not sure what the matter was with him. He did seem very shy.

That’s my go-to example, by way of making a point, when I tell people to report problems to me immediately. I used it on my current guests just yesterday.

My favorite exemplary tale is of the guest who came home so drunk he vomited on the bathroom floor which I was notified of by the guest he was sharing the bathroom with

Ugh, I feel your pain. We had someone who got drunk and threw up once. It was horrible. I’ve had a tough run with the last two sets of guests.Thankfully, the one previous to the last two was wonderful. The guests before last brought a lobster to cook. Unfortunately, they didn’t know how to cook one. They spilled lobster liquid all over our kitchen, our table cloth and shockingly on the guest room wall. Also, I think that if you cook lobster in someone else’s house (or in your own house) you need to take out the trash immediately. Last night’s guests were a mother and daughter. This morning the mother got comfortable and told me her views on African Americans which are abhorrent. Apparently, she didn’t notice that my husband is mixed ethnicity.

3 Likes

Oh dear Ellen… This is awful! Hope your guest luck improves soon. Down with Bad Guests!

On another note, check this out. Another reason why you should never allow Early Check ins or late check outs. You are not covered by Air’s or Comet’s policies!

2 Likes

Lobster water on the walls? At least my guests who brought home TWO lobsters, let me help them. No spilled water. No messes. They didn’t take out the carcass, but when I replenished their breakfast the next day, I removed that liner. In their defense, I don’t have any trash rules and they asked as best they could. As is often the case, they were so polite and pleasant, I didn’t mind going a step farther for them.

Yes, on the walls. They didn’t know that you’re supposed to crack the claws and body and let it drain when it’s done cooking so there was a lot of liquid. They drank the liquid from the plates once they were done eating the lobster meat. The father must have done this in the guest room. I was perplexed as to why the house continued to smell like lobster after I’ve cleaned and taken the trash out. When I moved the guest room furniture to the middle of the room to clean and saw the lobster water I understood.

However, I’d take a hundred food messes over a bigot.

1 Like

Oh dear, I think this is a terrible idea and will end up backfiring on you. It’s so unprofessional and eventually a guest will call you out on it. I know I would be very uncomfortable in such a situation. I urge you to stop!
I’ve read reviews where guests have mentioned such behaviour from hosts and it’s never good. As said, it’s beyond unprofessional.

1 Like

I hope you wil leave an honest review about both the bigots and the lobster idiots.

1 Like

Gosh, I only just saw that I never replied to this. Sorry, how rude. The answer, I assume, is that only guests who have been given a positive ‘yes, I recommend this guest’ by hosts in the review process. It’s not foolproof, obviously, because many hosts never meet their guests or do not give honest reviews. But I haven’t found them (IB’ers) to be any worse than your average guest.

BTW, what is it with all these very old threads being resurrected these days? Not complaining, as some of them are interesting, but it seems to be a regular occurrence recently.

How sad that this is our choice. Can I have what is behind Door Nº 3?

1 Like

cs2015 woke up from her summer slumber and is catching up.

1 Like

A sort of reverse hibernation, then? OK. I do love this forum :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, but by what percentage/proportion of hosts? That’s what I meant by “precise”.

I had a drunken guest sleeping on the bathroom floor. In his review he said he liked the heated floor in the bathroom :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Minor point of clarification: you heat the floor in your bathroom? How?

Warm water is running through pipes under the floor. I have it in the whole house. It’s pretty nice and helps saving energy.

7 Likes

Interesting. I’ve not heard of this being done elsewhere. Is this common where you are? And where are you located? Off the top of my head, it sounds like a Scandinavian thing. Does this feature have a specific name?

Was this picture taken during a time of construction, since the pipes are visible?

A search finds https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underfloor_heating
You learn something new every day.

I do the opposite. I tell them about my great guests. Usually this is in a general ways such as ‘hosting is so much fun. Everyone is so nice and look after the place wonderfully. I meet some fantastic people’.

Sometimes I’m more specific. For example I had guests who were here for a music festival so said ‘I had a lovely couple here for the festival last year too. They were very young but they left the apartment in great shape and I hardly knew they were here…’

:wink:

1 Like

The photo shows the system during construction (not my house I googled the pic to show you how it works). We poured anhydrite screed on it and then stone (or wood in some rooms). I live in the Black Forest Germany. It can get really cold here.
It’s common for new houses. We installed it 3 years ago when we were modernizing our 1950s house.
Here something more for you to learn: we also use a geothermal heating :slight_smile:

2 Likes