What are your top tips for making your guests happy?

Where are you, @AnnaBardon? It sounds lovely!

I also turn on bed-side lamps before check-in, so the room has a cozy, warm feeling. No fires, though. ; ) I was considering getting an electric fireplace for the living area - just for fun, and I have to use a space heater in that room anyway.

hello dcmooney,
im an english host in the middle of the french countryside. You can find me on airbnb by typing in traditional french farmhouse with swimming pool it is in Abilly France. The photos were supposed to be temporary but then my ipad broke and i didnt get round to taking more. Everyone that comes says i should change them because they do not do the place justice but air bnb dont have a photographer around here and its autumn now so any new photos i take may look dreary. Last time i looked airbnb had written the wrong price next to the photo and i havent had any bookings since. I hope the problem has been sorted out. We are enjoying doing airbnb but i can see that im making lots of errors
 being way too pally, spending way longer than i should on the cleaning, not having detailed enough house rules, letting people off with the stay taxe because i feel guilty asking, spending days ironing all the sheets etc
 We get amazing reviews but im wondering how it would go if i put up the prices. We are way too cheap but we just cant decide on a price since our decoration is not posh, the bathroom is tiny and we have no tv or internet yet
 only a tv for watching dvds. Anyway im rambling on.
i think i should ask the forum more questions because we do feel a bit lost and worried really. Me and my mum are absolutely NOT business women! Im sure we’ll get there in the end but we may get burnout before that happens.
xxx

1 Like

I understand everything you’re saying. It really is a huge learning adventure!

You have a beautiful listing. I have 1 recommendation - use the captions to label the bedrooms. Such as “Bedroom #1 with 1 double bed and 1 twin”. I’ve been shopping listings a lot lately and that is something that is a big help.

You came up second in the list when I searched. Your price seems very reasonable to me. Yes, you do have a good number of 5 star reviews - your value is being validated so yes, charge for it.

I have no TV either. No complaints from anyone. You have a pool!! Who needs a tv?

I have to collect the tax, also. I make sure they know about it in advance. I went to an office supply store and bought little ‘coin’ envelopes. They look official. Then I write their name, dates of their stay, and the amount on the envelope. I don’t like it but no one has complained yet. They sometimes don’t understand, but I explain how it is - and booking.com and every other platform will add that tax to their nightly rate, and they will understand that.

You will learn. Be patient with yourself. We’ve all been in your shoes and found our way. This forum is a great help.

Are you having fun? Do you enjoy your guests? They love you! You are doing a great job!!! Sometimes I have to read over my reviews and remember why I’m doing this.

A pricing service I once subscribed to said you should be only 50% booked for the next 30 days and 30% booked for the next 90 days. That is a good way to gauge if your price is correct. If you are booking up to quickly, raise your price.

You will find ways to cut corners. One thing I do to save time is to make the bed, then run the iron along the top sheet. It gives it that nice fresh, smooth look without so much time. You interaction with guests will taper off as you have so many come and go. But you are doing a great job connecting with your guests - they like your house and pool but they love you! You are making the world a better place by caring for the people that fate brings your way.

2 Likes

Thankyou so much dcmooney,
Ive been loving doing airbnb
 the doubt creeping in is only because of winter coming i think. I will take your suggestions on board as soon as i can (im organising a huge bonfirenight party for next weekend so a bit busy) I feel comforted that someone else has no tv too and your guests dont mind. Fate has brought me some lovely people(except the guests that stole a towel and fan) so far so its all been surprisingly easy (except the ironing but im going to try your topsheet idea for the next guests)
Thanks again for taking the time to write back to me!
Anna xx

1 Like

I love your list and website 
 thinking of adding fresh flowers from my garden when in bloom 
 guest love the way my home smells due to the purifying essential oils 
 ive placed a diffuser in guests bedroom with sample oils to use 
 also I’ve added up todate local newspapers 
 my todo list is to make up a guideline book and a guest memory bulletineboard with photos of all my guests 
 I also have a guestbook guests sign before they depart

1 Like

I live in the US and recently had my first guests who were under 20, not accompanied by parents. I normally provide a $7 bottle of wine (inexpensive, but good), however I have to think to remove alcohol from the apartment, because providing alcohol for those under 21 is illegal here in the States. :confounded:

1 Like

Connor,
If you’re trying to collect “honest” feedback you might would be better served saying “We provide” instead of “They provide”. The choice of “they” gives an impression that you’re using them vs you are them.

I find I just need to be extra attentive and find alternative solution if guests request for early check in or late check out. Provide them good suggestion for where to eat and where to go then they will be very happy. Sometimes I give wine or chocolates if they stay longer than a week

I know a super host she asking for 5 star review if guests request for any favour. :wink: I think it’s a pretty good way to do it .

1 Like

What kind of favor? I think asking for a five star review in exchange for something is risky and unethical.

3 Likes

I so agree. I never discuss reviews with guests. It seems so unprofessional and seems to smack of ‘begging for praise’. I can think of only two occasions in the last year when reviews have been mentioned and in both cases it was the guest who said something like ‘we’ll be sure to leave you a great review’. I never initiate the conversation.

Reviews are not the be all and end all of hosting life.

5 Likes

I would add it 's rude and is also against TOS.

Needless to say you have no guarantee a guest will leave a 5-star or any review after you’ve done them a favor

2 Likes

I agree that I would never ask for a good review. However, at the end of our house guide, I mention that, “We are striving to provide our guests with a five-star experience, so please let us know of anything that would make your stay a more pleasant one!”

Couldn’t agree more.

Having said that, the world is not perfect and people are not perfect. Which means that many guests do, unfortunately, have a look at reviews posted by previous guests, and may or may not book, accordingly.

Hi Cyn! This is Leon from Payoneer company. I want to discuss some ideas of cooperation with Airhostsforum, but can’t find your contact details. Could you please contact me on Skype: leonid.aldoshin , Thanks.

I totally agree with you and am in the same boat. My opinion is that Airbnb accepts any and all possible hosts regardless, which is making the competition impossible for those of us who have been members for several years now. It is most unfair. When I go to Europe, I pay over $100 for Airbnb apartments. Why should my home and bedroom be categorized with trashy rooms going for $20 a night?

If the guests are staying more than one night we provide a bag of benne wafer cookies (a Charleston specialty) which costs $4. In the growing season, we always cut flowers from our garden for the room, and in the winter, pick up a $4 bouquet of carnations from the supermarket. Those carnations usually last about 10 days, so the cost gets amortized over several guests. We also provide guidebooks, maps, and brochures about local attractions which we get for free at the visitors’ bureau. If we like the people, we invite them to have a glass or two of wine with us in the evening. We’ve made some nice friends that way.

1 Like

What a lovely place! Keep up the good work and you are always warmly welcome to wonderful Riga :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love to see you again here Sunshine. Riga looks like a wonderful place to visit!

1 Like

I love this awesome page! Always get some great ideas and inspiration!
I wish all wonderful hosts beautiful summer filled with wonderful guests :slight_smile:

P.S. Riga is always a good idea :slight_smile: Let me know if you are visiting beautiful Latvia sometime :slight_smile:

Hav a super beautiful day!

Liga from Riga

2 Likes

Cleanliness

Some people you simply cannot please and they’re on a mission to criticise and don’t appraise for help.

Last week I had a lady give me an overall rating of 3 stars!!!@
Let her check in 6 hours early. At first this was not possible but my guest from the day before cancelled so I thought I would get some brownie points for doing this. She asked if we provide detergent for the washer and I said I would for her only. Then she asked if we had a travel plug because her American goods won’t work in our UK sockets so I gave her directions for nearby electronic stores.
She ended up complaining that both beds were uncomfortable!!@ Both beds have new mattresses with memory foam and pocket springs so they’re not cheap but I guess everybody have their own preference on firmness so that is something I simply cannot cater for. I simply cannot buy her a new mattress because ours is average firmness and she likes it soft.

Bloody heck she was hard work!!!

1 Like