What are your top tips for making your guests happy?

So, have you concluded the higher price is worth it? Or do you lower your prices and keep people very happy? I’ve had the same debate in my mind. Also, do I raise my prices and not be sure I will have bookings, or, do I lower them, get the calendar full, and have that peace of mind?

You and I are in similar scenarios. For me I feel like, if they feel like they are getting a good deal, it takes the pressure off of me to a point. If I was charging top dollar for what I offer I would feel more pressure to have everything perfect. Since it’s me and my kids doing the cleaning squeezed in between school, karate, ballet, other jobs, etc., perfection just will not happen. Yet to hire someone will take a huge chunk of my profit.

2 Likes

You know me how i price i go by what hotels offer, and go lower. I cant have my prices very low, bcs i cant be occupied solid, its just not realistic.
I raised prices and do not get booked every day, but its fine as i meet my minimum.
I know what you mean, we always think what if i am charging too much.What gives me comfort is a thought that i am still cheaper than motel 6!!
With Airbnb situation here in South Florida is that the market is overloaded. In my price range its more than 200 units. Its hard to compete with it.
We lost lots of canadian business with drop in canadian $ , and hotels are not full. So, hotels are dropping their prices and Airbnb follow.
Most of my bookings i get through booking.com. I have a score of 8.6 which is pretty high and i get booked often nowadays.

1 Like

Cool. Taking Kona’s advice I listed on Wimdu.com. I haven’t had a lot of traffic yet, but I don’t have any reviews. I lowered my price there so I can get some reviews and pick up from there. I started on booking.com but haven’t finished up with the listing.

I’m hoping that, in time, the ‘real’ hosts will be left making money while many of those jumping into it will have realized it’s not for them. It’s interesting being in business and realizing how hard it is - holding on during the ups and downs.

I thought of you today, Yana. I had my guest’s breakfast ready and was just making the toast. I was also getting my kid’s breakfast, ready for work, etc., so when they said they could make their own toast I said “OK”. I got home from teaching this afternoon and the loaf, which had been brand new when they opened it, had only 4 slices left. Another example of the need to be very clear on limits. They were very nice, clean, polite, just really really really loved my bread, lol!! I remembered how one of your earlier groups cleaned you out. I hadn’t had that problem but I was always the one putting the food on the table.

Yes, it made a difference when you serve breakfast, or they help themsleves.I started providing small breakfast in a morning. I dont advertise it, but offer people yogurt, english muffins, jams, fruits Some eat, others don’t. But no more: just help yourself. Really, a loaf of bread for 2 people? Its insane and so unhealthy:) I understand if it was a buffet in a hotel, but in someone’s house just to clean out food like this? Where are manners!!

1 Like

Another item that is crazy expensive here in Hawaii…bread! That’s very obnoxious!

I did not realize you were a teacher, DC! What grade? I’m a sub.

I personally would dislike having Air guests underfoot when I am trying to get out the door!

Well, I’ve learned to become more flexible since hosting, that’s for sure. I’ve been nudged out of my comfort zone more and more - I think in a good way. They weren’t really underfoot - I serve them in the back part of my kitchen that’s out of the way. And they live in the basement (or ‘lower level’ as my listing states!) and now that they have their own full bath it’s pretty easy.

I home-educate my kids and also teach a co-op of 24 kids - Ancient History is the topic this year.

These guests were from a part of the world - which will remain nameless to avoid another huge race debacle - where, as I’ve been told, the bread is not so good. You know, it’s only bread, these things happen…lesson learned.

2 Likes

Back on the bread topic, I had a very young couple stay once (18-20?). They were staying for 10 nights. I have self service breakfast too. They ate the loaf of bread in the first two days. I didn’t replace it, so they went and brought the cheapest white bread you could buy then ate through my two jars of honey - for breakfast, lunch and most likely dinner for the entire time they were with us. I think it was there first time out of home!

2 Likes

Lol. My studio used to be a basement level, now it’s “garden level.”

2 Likes

Lol. I think kids don’t get it. My son is sharing intern housing in Washington, D.C. right now wi three other guys. One of them in inexplicably a minor and the other two are his age, 20. After he went out grocery shopping, he came back and had forgotten cooking oil and was about to use his roommates’. I told him, he better ask, unless it’s abundantly clear the cooking oil is shared! Later when he bought olive oil he wanted to stash it in his closet because we all know how pricey that stuff is, LOL.

I’m wondering if a whole loaf of bread is available it then looks like you can help yourself to the whole thing. What if for the guests, you laid out two slices on a plate with some Saran Wrap over it. Then they would get that that was their portion.

I don’t do food at all with my place, but I would imagine, like with anything else, you have to notate clear boundaries around it.

1 Like

I actually think the most important tip for making a guest happy is to care whether they’re happy or not.
I don’t provide bathrobes, or pick them up from the nearest station or provide excessive extras in the room.

But every time I see them I greet them with a warm smile, enquire about their day, ask if they’re finding their way around the city okay and tell them I’m only a phone call away if they need me.

If I don’t run into them, I send them a text every day or so just checking that all is okay.

I’ve only been a host for 8 months, but I’ve hosted more than 50 lots of guests and am a SuperHost with a very high percentage of 5 star reviews. The majority of my reviews don’t talk about the space as much as how nice and helpful I was. :grinning:

So that’s my tip.

9 Likes

Mine too… They all say I was helpful and knowledgeable in the first line usually. There’s no way I can pick anyone up, although once I arranged a car in a sold out the period for someone who missed a flight, and they “thanked” me with a back handed review., along the lines of “K saved our trip by helping us get a car which made up for her crappy apartment, which we disliked so much we didn’t want to spend much time there. Thank goodness we had the car.”

Truly, what a B. This is why I don’t do extras for guests!!!

3 Likes

Kona, I have learned that my place is very reasonable but far from luxs of south beach to I try to discourage any young inquiry and state I am more a everglades or keys location and we are at LEAST a 45 min to hour drive to south beach. Guest what we get a hell of a lot better guest and think out place is devine for it’s everglades location. I will not pick anyone one up and we have Uber and Lyft for that plus metro rail. Plus I highlight you NEED a car and actually won’t accept anyone that doesn’t rent a car.

1 Like

Me too. I am so clear on where I am!!! I don’t want anyone thinking it’s near the airport or that they can take public transport. Non existent here. The better details you give, the happier your guests and you will be!

It’s fair to assume that Airbnb hosts that achieve 5-star reviews across the board have a pretty good grasp of all the things that make their guests happy.

So let’s break down the different criteria that Airbnb hosts are reviewed against and list out useful tips within each of those categories.

These categories are:

1. Accuracy
  2. Communication
  3. Cleanliness
  4. Location
  5. Check-In
  6. Value

Accuracy

Upon the completion of a stay, Airbnb asks guests: how accurately did the photos and description represent the actual space?

Here’s 3 things you can do to get 5-star reviews for ACCURACY

1. Not Everything Will be Pretty
Few of us live in the Garden of Eden.

Even if you have an impressive pad in a great neighborhood with amazing amenities; your place will inevitably possess some less-than-desirable features.

This is part and parcel of reality. Bar open downstairs till the wee-hours of the morning? Mattress considered to be a little more on the firmer side? Sociable roommate that likes to bring the party home?

Call these out early and help guests avoid unwanted surprises. You never know… for many people these may actually be drawcards to staying at your place.

2. Accuracy in Pictures
Include pictures that truly help a guest envisage what it would feel like to stay at your place – not just its key features and amenities.

Include at least one picture of each room that guests will have access to.

Ensure the place looks its best, but do not dress it up to the extent that a guest wonders if they’ve walked into the right home upon arrival.

3. Thoroughness in Your Listing
Your Airbnb listing is your principal mechanism for providing prospective guests with an insight into what it might be like to stay at your place.

They are yet to see it and therefore have only what they read to go by in making their choice.

An Airbnb listing is comprised of a listing name, summary, overview of the space, guest access, interaction with guests, house rules, neighborhood overview and explanations of how to get around.

Each of these represent an opportunity to provide information with great clarity and accuracy. They also represents an opportunity to mislead guests and provide an inaccurate representation.

Ensure accuracy prevails in your listing descriptions.

Click here for help building a stand-out Airbnb listing that is both accurate and results in increased booking requests.

Cleanliness

Upon the completion of a stay, Airbnb asks guests: did the cleanliness match your expectations of the space?

Here’s 3 things you can do to get 5-star reviews for CLEANLINESS

1. Welcome Guests to a Clean Home
Many guests will have traveled great distances to finally arrive at your place.

Regardless of travel duration, the last thing a paying guest wants to walk into is a messy place.

It may seem obvious, but clean every room that your guests can access during their stay, pay special attention to the bathroom and kitchen, and make sure towels and sheets are freshly-washed.

2. It’s Often the Small Things
Take care of the small things that show extra consideration: Dust the bookshelves, wipe the mirrors, empty the wastebasket and make room in the closet or dresser so that guests can store their belongings.

These things may feel like they’ll go unnoticed at the time, but are likely to be remembered upon guest reflection precisely because it’s often the small things that count.

3. Give Yourself Enough Time
Ensure that you give yourself enough time to clean your space, particularly when you have back-to-back bookings.

Giving your guests the ability to tidy up after themselves will be a big help, so be sure to leave cleaning supplies in your space, so they can take care of spills and accidental messes.

Communication

Upon the completion of a stay, Airbnb asks guests: how responsive and accessible was the host before and during your stay?

Here’s 3 things you can do to get 5-star reviews for COMMUNICATION

1. Maximize the Ways they’re Able to Contact You
Let guests know how you’re able to be contacted throughout their stay.

Are you happy for them to email you? SMS you? Call you?

A natural reluctance of hosts is the fear that opening too many channels of communication is an invitation for being inundated with guest problems left, right and center.

Despite this, evidence suggests that guests are typically reluctant to bother their hosts unnecessarily. And sometimes simply providing an answer to a basic question over a call will avoid a long and drawn-out game of email ping-pong, thus actually saving you time and inconveniencing you less.

A great way to establish the multitude of communication channels available to guests is in the ‘Interaction with Guests’ section of your Airbnb listing.

2. Notify of Unexpected Changes
If something about your listing has changed since the time you confirmed a booking, communicate it in advance to your guests.

Guests are much more likely to be understanding when given foreknowledge.

If the change is substantial, offer practical suggestions for ways that you may be able to provide a temporary remedy for the change or partially compensate for the inconvenience.

Whilst this may just be common courtesy, will in most likelihood be seen as going above-and-beyond what was reasonably expected upon reflection.

3. Proactively Check-In Periodically
There’s nothing more comforting than receiving a random email or sms from your host that simply asks how everything’s going and if there’s anything they’re able to do to make the stay more enjoyable.

It will be a welcome surprise for your guest, and stand out in their memory upon reflection of their trip.

Remember too that guests may often feel that their “problem”, “concern” or “issue” is too minor to warrant getting in touch with their hosts, so getting on the front-foot and asking about anything that would improve their stay will be a welcome gesture.

Upon the completion of a stay, Airbnb asks guests: how appealing is the neighborhood (safety, convenience, desirability)?

Here’s 3 things you can do to get 5-star reviews for LOCATION

1. Create a Guidebook
The easiest way to let guests know about the best your local area has to offer is with an Airbnb guidebook. Guidebooks let hosts suggest great local spots, like restaurants, grocery stores, parks, and attractions.

They take the guesswork out of deciding where to go to experience all the sort of things guests are typically interested in. Guidebooks leave guests feeling like they’ve been provided with insider tips that inevitably leave them feeling like a true local.

As a result, they grow a personal affinity with the local area and are much more likely to then view the location favorably upon reflection.

2. Use Your Airbnb Listing
Your Airbnb listing provides a section for overviewing your neighborhood.

Use this to detail your neighborhood’s key selling points and proximity to places of interest, key landmarks, attractions and public transport.

3. Recommend Public Transport Options
Your guests will almost certainty want to leave your immediate local area at some point throughout their stay.

Providing them with clear instructions on the various public transport options available to them will help reinforce the impression that your place is situated in a convenient spot. You’re also able to do this on your Airbnb listing.

Value

Upon the completion of a stay, Airbnb asks guests: how would you rate the value of the listing?

Here’s 3 things you can do to get 5-star reviews for VALUE

1. A Few Little Touches Go A Long Way
Airbnb guests are typically not the type of travelers looking for cookie-cutter accommodation options.

They are discerning travelers wanting a one-of-a-kind experience with personalized touches.

Great Airbnb hosts frequently go the extra mile and provide additional amenities and value-add’s for their guests.

These are often small, inexpensive gestures such as a welcome basket of fruit, chocolates on the pillow, basic toiletries and beauty products, complementary tickets to the local cinema or a mobile phone with a pre-paid local SIM card to use throughout their stay.

These little perks go a long way in impressing guests.

2. Provide Future Discounts
Since value is so inextricably linked to price, offering guests special offer discounts for future stays will boost perceptions of value for their current stay – irrespective of whether they end up taking you up on the offer or not.

Offering something as small as a 10% discount on any future stay, or one free night for any future stay over a week will not only increase the perception of value, but may also assist with gaining additional future bookings too.

3. Send a Thank-You Note
Remember that guests are not obliged to complete the review process.

For less-than-desirable guests, this may be a good thing. But many guests simply forget to leave reviews which can be a real pity if they had only good things to say.

Sending a thank-you note (either via email or through the post) is not only a great reminder to leave a review, but also of the value they attach to what was hopefully a great experience by an equally-great host.

Check-In

Upon the completion of a stay, Airbnb asks guests: how smooth was the check-in process, within control of the host?

Here’s 3 things you can do to get 5-star reviews for CHECK-IN

1. Getting them to Your Place
Helping guests simply get to your place is the first step in good guest stay communication.

Find out how they’ll be arriving (flight, rail, bus, driving, etc.) and let them know the easiest way of getting from their arrival point to your place.

Ensure they know how to reach you if there are any hiccups in plans, and ask if there’s anything you’re able to do to help make their arrival more effortless and comfortable.

Explain the check-in procedure, whether anyone will be there to meet and greet them, and how they’re able to get the keys and orient themselves to your place and surrounding area.

2. Have Someone Meet Guests in Person
It may not always be possible to meet and greet your guests in person upon their arrival at your place.

Depending on your motivations for hosting on Airbnb, doing this for every guest may potentially be taking your commitment to Airbnb further than you have an interest in taking it.

Despite this, there’s no substitute for the warmth and reassurance felt by having a host or someone they trust be there to physically great a guest upon their arrival.

Guests greatly appreciate having a real person walk them through their temporary home, explain in-person the various amenities and features and answer any questions they may have.

Whenever possible, this is highly preferable and will be rewarded with positive reviews.

3. Create a House Manual
A House Manual explains how features of your listing work.

Hosts can let their guests know how to turn on the hot water heater or where they can find an extra blanket.

Guests receive this information in an email once they’ve confirmed a reservation, and can also be printed and left as a hard copy for reference upon check-in or at any future time throughout a guest’s stay.

House Manuals eliminate problems by preempting known challenges or questions and ensure your guests appreciate the full range of amenities and home features available to them.

House Manuals leave guests feeling confident in accessing these and using them to their full potential.

7 Likes

Thanks you are right. Now just use candles while I’m cleaning house for the next guest then I blow them out and take away the lighters. I’ve also found these new things were a light bulb heats up these wax cubes and you can reuse the wax in the wax “bowl” whatever the scentt is gives off in the house and there’s no risk of fire or WAY less risk than a lit candle anyway. there’s also other things similar to incense but the scent just soaks the stick and the scent comes out, no fire needed made by Yankee candles

1 Like

They are expensive though … I’ve just brought a nice smelling plug in at half the price

How long do those cubes last?

1 Like

Yeah I realized about a year into it that allowing candles in the room was completely idiotic of me. There are much better flameless alternatives.

They aren’t that expensive the wax melts then dries and you can use it over and . I’ve burned over 24/hours same cubes still smell good. I guess we agree to disagree on thist one

We do a similar thing here with cards for our Los Angeles Metro system. Guests respond well to this, and it often saves them from renting a car if they know they can get around on Metro (plus it frees up parking space at my house).

Happy Hosting – Lia