U.S. Airbnb's: New Terms of Service leave hosts at risk

Good points. I recognized that guest of Airbnb guests early on and until there is clarification my listing notes only Airbnb guests are allowed on the premises. I also had no idea there was an optional to who is staying. I always ask before accepting the name of the Airbnb’s guest, and have them confirm the # of people then.

1 Like

LOL…no mix up on my part. It’s quite clear that our homeowner’s covers zero re the Airbnb.

There are TWO types of insurance under discussion… Your homeowners, which unless its a miracle policy, will not cover any Air mishaps. And the Host liability Air offers, which unless they have changed something, acts as primary coverage for liability if a guest falls or something. It won’t cover certain things. Then there is the Host Guarantee which is the damage coverage.

Where do we find the Host Liability info that Air covers? I have the Host Guarantee for the damage coverage info, and that has worked well. I went ahead and bought liability because I thought Air didn’t cover; I can cancel if Air’s is strong enough. Thank you for adding to the chain.

I think you would be covered very well if you had Air’s and then one like Comet or Proper.
Air’s liability coverage is mentioned on their website! It used to be secondary which would render it relatively useless but recently they upgraded it to primary.

Thank you…

Right. There must be ten lawyer-hosts – if we split up the new terms in ten parts maybe we can get something comprehensible out of it. Myself, I’m going back to sabbaticalhomes.com: less money, but clearer lines of responsibility – also, nomore ironing sheets!

Sorry about the delay in response. This site has a limitation on how many replies can be made on the first day, and I had to wait to provide a new response.

I started this chain because in reviewing the NEW Terms of Service, especially those Travel Issues, some of which make sense, but the emphasis is on those that don’t, there appeared to be significant changes impacting hosts, and not for the greater good. The cancellation policy, which now is owned by Airbnb, supersedes the hosts related to Travel Issues (which is vague and at Airbnb’s complete discretion). Hosting is not a franchise of Airbnb; yet it is beginning to take on that appearance with the new regulations and Airbnb’s control. If the hosts are at risk, and the burden of liabilities points to them, then the primary liability insurance coverage for hosts offered by Airbnb may favor them, not the hosts. In this chain, it seems most are unconcerned with the new terms. I have decided to get a legal opinion; the risk is too great to surmise, and the cost is well worth it. Thank you for the info on sabbaticalhomes.com, I have not heard of it.

1 Like

I do not recall if this was in the last terms/conditions regarding travel issues:

If you are a Host, and if (a) Airbnb determines that a Guest has suffered a Travel Issue related to an Accommodation listed by you and (b) Airbnb either reimburses that Guest any amount up to the amount paid by the Guest through the Platform for the Accommodation or provides an alternative Accommodation to the Guest, you agree to reimburse Airbnb up to the amount paid by Airbnb within 30 days of Airbnb’s request.

All determinations of Airbnb with respect to the Guest Refund Policy, including without limitation the size of any refund to the Guest, shall be final and binding on the Guests and Hosts. You also agree that in order for you to reimburse Airbnb up to the amount paid by Airbnb, Airbnb may off-set or reduce any amounts owed by Airbnb to you by this amount.

If the Guest remains for part or all of the stay despite the Travel Issue, the Guest will receive a refund that will reduce the amount of the Accommodation Fees ultimately paid to you.

If the Guest is relocated to an alternative Accommodation, you may lose part or all of the Accommodation Fee payment for the booking and you may be responsible for reasonable additional costs incurred to relocate the Guest to the alternative Accommodation.

Travel Issue. A “Travel Issue” means any one of the following:

(a) the Host of the Accommodation (i) cancels a reservation shortly before the scheduled start of the reservation, or (ii) fails to provide the Guest with the reasonable ability to access the Accommodation (e.g., by providing the keys and/or a security code).

(b) the description of the Accommodation in the Listing is materially inaccurate with respect to:
(i) the size of the Accommodation (e.g., number and size of the bedroom, bathroom and/or kitchen or other rooms),
(ii) whether the reservation for the Accommodation is for a private room or shared room, and whether another party, including the Host, is staying at the Accommodation during the reservation,
(iii) special amenities or features represented in the Listing are not provided or do not function, such as decks, pools, hot tubs, bathrooms (toilet/shower/bathtub), kitchen (sink/stove/refrigerator or major other appliances), and electrical, heating or air condition systems, or
(iv) the physical location of the Accommodation (proximity).

© at the start of the Guest’s reservation, the Accommodation: (i) is not generally clean and sanitary (ii) contains safety or health hazards that would be reasonably expected to adversely affect the Guest’s stay at the Accommodation in Airbnb’s judgment, (iii) does not contain clean bedding and bathroom towels available for the Guest’s use, or (iv) has vermin or contains pets not disclosed on the Listing.

they weeded out good hosts who genuinely cared and were scared by their guests bad behavior

I am wondering if other insurance companies, like Amica, are giving hosts problems and asking too many intrusive questions about my running such a business inside a home they are insuring - Does anyone else have issues with their home owner’s insurance? Do you purchase yet another policy on top of that and Airbnb’s Air coverage? As far as I can tell, they can’t cancel me, but I am not sure. Anyone?

@cate This thread is quite old so it’s been closed. Maybe you can start a new topic after you’ve been here a few days or find a recent related topic to post on.