Type of guest to avoid?

Not the first time I have read about this

But the law is not the binding contract here. The contract is with AirBNB which has chosen to exceed the law in its TOS about all things discrimination. If you aren’t [you in the big sense, not you specifically] can’t live with their TOS, then it is logical that you would delist on AirBNB and choose a platform that doesn’t have such an encompassing policy.

1 Like

Again, the law and Airbnb’s non-discrimination policy are not one and the same. Airbnb’s non-discrimination policy is stronger than the law in many areas. Airbnb will cancel your listing if you violate their non-discrimination policy even if the type of discrimination you are practicing is legal where you live.

1 Like

My room is small and can only accommodate two people - clearly stated in the listing. My only decline (other than one date not available) has been for a group of 3 who told me they are “very small people”.

Hope declining them isn’t considered discrimination against small people. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I hope I never accidentally book in at your place, Euphoria. I’m (gasp) 68! I wouldn’t want to harsh your mellow or anything. Maybe you should learn to be more open to people of any age because before you know it honey, clap your hands twice and you’ll be over 50 yourself.

3 Likes

No they don’t. I’m in my second Airbnb now and didn’t get told how to behave. Interesting to see it from the guests view point. Might be able to make this trip tax deductible

Ellen Snortland. Sorry I didn’t cite the source.

I’m over 50, and I find that older guests often do need more hand holding, but that younger guests often forget things like letting us know when they plan to arrive and leaving their toothbrush hanging off the edge of our shared bathroom sink (or their panties on the doorknob! *true story more than once!), or passing out with their bedroom door wide open etc.
After 3 years of hosting we’ve learned that it takes all kinds. The best way to vet your guest is to talk to them before booking. Get a feel for what they’re looking for. Let them know your concerns.
We’ve had some real loopdy loos…and we’ve made a few friends along the way. Practice, patience and stamina are all requirements for successful airbnb hosting.

3 Likes

People actually demand things like this? WHOAAAAAA I’d be like sorry I’m not your mother. Does this kind of behavior come from a specific city or location?

I live up 4 flights of stairs with no elevator. :woman_shrugging:t2:

A bit late to add to this but what a misconception! I am 64, my husband is 51. We go to Portugal x 2/3 times a year, to a village we have visited for 25 years and have many friends. We stay in apartments, eat out, go out all day, and party every night until 3 or 4 in the morning with our very old friend, Pam. She’s a glamour puss, can drink us under the table, and she’s 85! We host two big parties at home every year, Christmas and my summer birthday, the last attended by friends spanning from 22-87 years of age. It’s our younger friends who leave earliest, although they may just well be bored by a bunch of old piss heads having such fun.

So stop stereotyping! You’re getting older as I write and hopefully once you are over 50, will reflect ruefully on how wrong you were

10 Likes

Good for you but you are very unusual crowd. And I am sure many will agree with me.

1 Like

What village? I was in Portugal earlier this year and plan to go back.

1 Like

Burgau, on the Western Algarve, past Lagos. It’s so pretty, such a soft spot for the place. I took a year out in '93, running a mate’s bar, then met my current husband… Sadly it’s been blemished by development on the outskirts but the original centre is much improved.

1 Like

i have one room i let long term its a small self contained studio but share bathroom loo and kitchen - i stipulate travelling student of academic only - refuse anyone else and expect them to be out studying as i too work from home - dont want flatmates per say hense airbnb - i let for a min of two weeks and max 9 months or a student calendar year - i explain and make sure they understand its thier own space and to respect others of theirs - most people get the message - some dont and then we have an issue - had to move on a guest a few years ago as she was too disruptive to everyone else -

And all mine don’t. So it shows you how pointless making this type of stereotypical comment is :slight_smile:

You know you are not allowed to do this on Airbnb and if they find out you are discriminating like this, they will close your listing down.

actually airbnb helped me move them on - so not sure what your issue is as there is no discrimination going on here!! just disruptive in the instant I am referring to in this post - you might have been lucky and not had a guest screaming at the top of their voice scaring other guests

1 Like

too add a note - I do say ideal for visiting students academics or workers coming to the capital - the place is cheap compared to most airbnb holiday lets - like normal long term rental prices in the area so am always full as there are a lot of students and visiting academics coming to the capital that don’t want to or cant pay holiday prices

Hi @Antonia_Clare_Grant

I was referring to your earlier post in which you stated -'i stipulate travelling student of academic only - refuse anyone else’

But now you are are staying 'I do say ideal for visiting students academics or workers coming to the capital '. Which isn’t the same thing at all.

Stipulating only travelling students would be seen as discriminatory by Airbnb. Not sure what that has to do with guests screaming at the top of their voices?