Type of guest to avoid?

Ed, I’m sorry but you’re becoming pretty annoying now. Yes, I am aware of what a hostel is. I have stayed in several in Europe and they have mostly been excellent. I run a travel website and have reviewed several hostels on it. Please don’t try to my patronising to me because it won’t work, dear.

And yes, hotels and hostels have used Airbnb for a long time. Why is that a problem for you?

1 Like

Helsi, that is for you to be introspective about and opening up the the fact that it might be a possibility. I am just painting a seed.

My listing:

Really, I appreciate that you’re most likely very young and a very new host but it would be well worth your while to look at Airbnb’s discrimination policies very closely.

You’ve been seriously mislead, I’m afraid.

Let me educate you a little about the internet as you seem to be confused. Anyone can go onto any public forum and say whatever they want to. It’s a concept you might not have heard of called ‘freedom of speech’. As a general rule, the members of this forum and friendly, pleasant and highly experienced. Then sometimes, the occasional troublemaker comes along. Moderators try to be very tolerant here but only put up with it for so long. So yes, you’ll find some bizarre attitudes here from time to time but these are generally troublemakers who quickly realise that this isn’t the place for them so they leave. See?

1 Like

You said “Hostels and Aiurbnbs are like apples and oranges” which is why I though that was foolish, because AirBnB includes hostels, so maybe AirBnB is an “apple” and hostels are Granny Smith apples. But not oranges. So yes, while in the past, no one could just pop open a “hostel” now, it seems, they can. And there is NO regulation around it.

Maybe not where you have your rental but that’s certainly not the case in most places. Where are you that you can just ‘pop open a hostel’?

hmmn - so by opening up my home to young people experiencing homelessness and using some of BNB income to support a charity to help them find homes for young people who are homeless…I am contributing to homelessness…

…I can definitely see your logic there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Geeze, lighten up Mr. Ed. Why the heck are you so angry? Sustained hostility against longstanding members of this board is not going to be tolerated. So please, tone it down.

3 Likes

Your listing says that the person signing your rental argreement must be 30 years old at the minimum. But wouldn’t that be discriminating against all the 18 year olds who want to rent your place with 11 of their closest friends?

5 Likes

Indeed it is. And I see why he’s banging on about hostels - twelve guests in five bedrooms. Sardines, really.

If I were you, @EdAbram I would be inclined to delete photographs which are similar and add photographs of your sleeping arrangements. It’s rather odd that you don’t, isn’t it?

2 Likes

I think that’s as likely to be your listing as…seeing pigs fly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes exactly. But I just changed my settings so that the maximum time is 7
days. I guess i didn’t realize that before so i changed it!

Hahaha, not new, not even mine. Knew you all would dig into the ad and see that so many people age discriminate here.

I know about AirBnB’s discrimination policy, but you all know how impossible it is to enforce, right? That’s the loophole.

And “freedom of Speech” is a political term, not a social one. If I am kicked out of here what good is the freedom of speech it it is silenced by technology?

I agree. My oldest ever guest is moving out today and they were disappointed that I didn’t have a microwave oven (I try to eat healthy and not having one has proven to me that it helps stay away from processed foods) and that I didn’t have aluminum foil. They were also asking for neighborhood guidance they could have easily Googled. Older people think we’re desperate for their money and that we should do anything for a buck.

At least you’ll be old someday (or dead). Enjoy your smug attitude while you can.

10 Likes

I wonder why you have that problem? I find that older guests are delightful. They are usually very self sufficient and don’t need their hands holding in the way that younger guests do. They are far more internet savvy than younger guests (because they’ve been using the internet since its inception) and are usually far more diligent when it comes to recycling (again, because they have been doing it for a long time).

They are usually much more conscious about energy saving too (as are teenagers) and our utility bills are usually much lower in the months when we’ve had older (or teenage) guests.

They are invariably quiet and they clean the apartment well before they leave.

Just my experience :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use my microwave to heat up home made healthy food, also great for hot milk. I’m older, 62, find your comments offensive and misguided. Some hosts are gracious in offering information on their neighborhood that isn’t available on google.

5 Likes

Google can’t tell you if the dosas or the curries are the best choice. Google can’t tell you that the mint lemonade, which doesn’t appear on the restaurant’s menu, is fabulous and must be tried. Google can’t tell you that the google maps are telling you to walk down a divided highway.

Though not everyone agrees, I believe we are selling hospitality with a bed on the side.

9 Likes

A microwave oven and aluminum foil are found in most American kitchens. One of the reasons guests book Airbnbs instead of hotels is personalized recommendations. I recently had a guest from Tibet which he had to leave as a child. I told him that we have a Tibetan restaurant close by. He ate there twice in two days and left me a glowing review. I don’t think your poor opinion of your guest has to do with his/her age. I think it has to do with your expectations of your guests.

3 Likes

Even I have a microwave. It doesn’t get much use for cooking, but I do use it to heat food for the baby [since I have her homemade meals frozen in tablespoon portions], defrost frozen foods that I have made myself, and to melt small quantities of butter, mostly for popcorn. My guests use it quite regularly. Some buy fabulous frozen pasta dishes from our local Italian deli. Others bring leftovers home from a restaurant, and others like to make oatmeal in a microwave instead of using the tea kettle. I am finding that my winter guests use the microwave more than the summer guests. Night starts so early and it is so cold that people spend more time at the house during these dark and cold days.

2 Likes

Yes! I hate stereotyping but all of my Asian guests leave water all over the bathroom… the floor, sink… counters…

1 Like