Type of guest to avoid?

:open_hands::pray: here here here here, I applaud your post.

2 Likes

What kind of guests to avoid?

Here are a few to avoid:

2 Likes

The one type that caught my eye was #4 - ‘The Fearful’. By the time they are done asking all their silly questions (like are there great white sharks in the area and such crazy stuff) and then proceed to ‘think about it’, the place is already booked. Then it is scramble mode.

2 Likes

I hope you display ‘no over 50s’ as your first house rule as that way those of us who dislike sweeping generalisations about people can avoid you.

4 Likes

Anyone in particular you addressing that to Reader?

1 Like

We only avoid people who we have “bad” feelings about like those who don’t show their faces in their profile.

We have had two sets of retired folks, and they’ve both been delightful. One were visiting because they were expecting their first grandchild. They were super stoked to be there.

1 Like

I don’t know - as a guest, I didn’t mention the lovely soda bread, cakes biscuits, cheese, fruit, wine etc which my first host left because I didn’t want her to feel that she would be obliged to do the same for everyone. It was her first hosting too. I’ve felt bad about it ever since, though not enough to send her a private message explaining myself.

1 Like

We had an enquiry from someone asking if the bathroom was clean. I thought about introducing her to the Liar Paradox, but in the end I just declined her.

1 Like

I would have dragged that out just a little by answering back.

I did send her a picture of one of our guests happily kayaking; to this day I am wondering why she didn’t book.

9 Likes

To Euphoria Soul who started this thread, not sure why it doesn’t show up as a response to him/her?

Got cha. I have had a lot of cool older folks stay and kind of a fan of those types of guests.

2 Likes

There was this girl who asked so many questions. Many of those questions could be answered by doing some research on her side. I knew she was going to bombard me with more questions so I just ignored her. Luckily, she didn’t do instant booking or I would have been doomed:P

I got an inquiry from another guest who asked if she could check in earlier than our usual check in time. I told her that we’re having guests checking out on the day she wanted to check in, and that the room required some cleaning. Have I made my case clear? She then insisted that her flight was early and that she was going to be bored. She was even friendly enough to put a frowning face like this at the end of the message —> :frowning: So I thought, okay, then you can go somewhere else buddy!

2 Likes

I have older guests now and they are great! Self -sufficient and not fussed about anything. Easygoing.

1 Like

Its true, I agree with it.

We have a local staying with us for the next couple of nights. He’s a 50-something who is in the middle of a divorce and is tired of staying at a hotel downtown. Lovely guy, and he’s happy with what we’re providing here.

I rarely have truly older people, because I am not a vacation spot, but I have found some younger women really entitled and quite the opposite of the older people I do get. Part of being a host is giving directions and helping; that what “host” means. I really appreciate guests who want my advice.

3 Likes

@marialvarez I couldn’t help myself when I read this. I mean what on Earth were the guests thinking?! “You were not that helpful” because you were not able to provide weed?! Joke: provide contact of local dealers in your guidebook;))) Just kidding.

Yes…ive been hosting for around 5 years and although i hate to stereotype…generally this seems to be true. Even to the point where one spanish lady in her 50s had my son carry her bags in and out of the house to the uber for her when arriving and departing…she then left four stars and complained about the layout of the room. Ive had people of this age group complain that the sheets weren’t ironed properly!
Airbnb is one big social experiment and i could stereotype most ages and cultures (although there are always exceptions to the rule) but as with anything i find there are pros and cons to all ages and cultures. To be honest though…the most problems have been from locals.

1 Like

Quite true. Guy left three stars for overall…because his flight was delayed for three hours, haha